Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible Western European flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
My response in Red ...
On the timing I quite disagree. There are airlines who do not ask you to see for an hour before the flight. BA is doing it consistently. In regards to the seats, with BA you need to have knee defender to fly in economy.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Actually, there is an alternative. Pay for your own flight (as in at own costs) if the job is otherwise satisfactory. I have done that when I did not like the flights but other aspects were OK.
Unfortunately I am not allowed to travel on business on my own. You are on company time and you need to follow their policy. However, the intend of the topic was to share experience and hopefully people who have flexibility will stay away from BA on domestic routes.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Spacoom
Unfortunately I am not allowed to travel on business on my own. You are on company time and you need to follow their policy. However, the intend of the topic was to share experience and hopefully people who have flexibility will stay away from BA on domestic routes.
Who else do you suggest to fly with that is better onboard? as we seem to be discussing onboard here, I’m intrigued as it comes across that there are much much better airlines in Europe... which there probably are but only if we delve into the pernickety stuff.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
However, the intend of the topic was to share experience and hopefully people who have flexibility will stay away from BA on domestic routes.
Why are you hoping that people will stay away from BA? You've made it clear that you don't like BA, but there are many people, myself included, for whom BA is the airline of choice. For all its faults, I genuinely prefer BA over almost any other European airline, and certainly over every airline that flies to the places I want/need to go.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Quite. What is more is that the wonders of A3 and TK are precious little use to those of us needing to travel to Alicante, Lisbon or Rome.
Except your opinion revolves around the UK, not Europe by and large.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Why are you hoping that people will stay away from BA? You've made it clear that you don't like BA, but there are many people, myself included, for whom BA is the airline of choice. For all its faults, I genuinely prefer BA over almost any other European airline, and certainly over every airline that flies to the places I want/need to go.
BA used to be great until Alex Cruz came. Just to give you a few examples. Last week I was flying WDH-JNB on BA and then JNB-CDG with AF on the same ticket. I had a separate ticket to go to MPL from CDG with AF. I asked AF via twitter if I could send the bag through to MPL even if they were seperate tickets. They said yes. Told them as BA was the first leg, they would refuse. They told me not to worry. I arrived at WDH and asked to check the bag through and they refused as it was 2 seperate tickets. i had to argue and show the twitter DMs to convince them to do it. And I told the lady why does she even bother as the 2 last legs are with AF. And I am BA gold. Arrived at CDG and took the flight to MPL. I slept all the way anf when I woke up I found a small cup of water on the cup holder and a small financier cake in my seat pocket. Last year my partner booked for us a trip to LAX through a TA hoping to take the A380. It changed to 773. went at CDG and asked them if I go a day earlier with the A380 and they did it swiftly on a dirt cheap ticket without any fee or penalty. And last thing, TA tickets can be easily be upgraded on airfrance.com unline BA. I can easily move to higher classes with cash or double upgrade to business with miled. BA locks my booking all the time. So yes as a elite customet on both airlines, I feel more valued at AF.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:31 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’d have to say that’s a somewhat strange agenda to attempt to persuade people not to fly the airline - particularly on a domestic or even intra-Europe route where there’s relatively little choice on direct flights from London airports if you’re trying to avoid the true LCCs.

The more cynical of the contributors here might even regard your claims as somewhat extraordinary, in fact ...
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA6948

BA used to be great until Alex Cruz came.
I am not a fan of Snr Cruz, but he has done what any sharp minded, financially aware CEO needs to do as directed by Willie himself, that’s to keep the airline from succumbing to what many airlines have in the past 3 years, Monarch, WOW to name a few. I’m by no means defending the guy, it is what it is and there’s many changes that aren’t popular but maybe it’s meant that BA will still be here and keep employing, keep the U.K. flying.

I don't agree with shareholder short termism and the constant approach of ‘how much is that going cost’ business model but maybe it’s needed in these tough times due to sheer competition. I personally think the day Willie goes, the day BA becomes an even better airline.

Anyhow I digress.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

There are a couple of things which never fail to keep me entertained every time these sort of threads (re)appear and namely:

1. The various comparisons with Lufthansa and their ‘renowned’ sandwiches (yes, it’s nice to get a Warsteiner for free, but both choices in terms of food i.e. either cheese or pastrami sandwiches are ghastly to put it mildly, certainly not a selling point there and I’m sure most regulars have had enough of the same choice since 1996...); lounge-wise: nothing really to get excited about, apart from the beers (Franziskaner — oh yes);

2. Turkish/Aegean: not everyone here is a ‘mileage runner’ and I’m afraid a connection through Istanbul or Athens to get to most places in Europe is not really an option (sure enough, it all depends on home airport/travel patterns and the likes);

All-in-all, I find most Y products within Europe to be more-or-less the same these days. Reason why I personally fly Lufthansa (and Star Alliance generally speaking) is their robust Eastern European network and indeed their strong presence here in the Balkans (not many alternatives from/to Sarajevo at the end of the day), which simply fits the bill for me (and my employer, needless to say). I would also add that Munich is a great connecting airport and, also thanks to that, my weekly travel routine gets a tad better.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jun 15, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just how far out of the way are you willing to fly and how much time are you willing to waste in order to get a better sandwich?

Maybe there is a reason OP's employer sticks with BA.
Yllanes and bisonrav like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I do not know the exact arrangements. We used to by able to fly Easyjet and Flybe. I guess the discounts or overall rates combined (domestic and international).
So, you don't really know your travel policy? I think you're making this up as you go along...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
All-in-all, I find most Y products within Europe to be more-or-less the same these days.
I think that if you are willing to make that argument, then you have to make it consistently. In other words, I'm happy for people to say that all Y flying in the same in Europe, if they also believe, for instance, that there is really no reason to choose BA over U2 or FR, or that flying Y or C or BA is "more or less the same" and in that case that, it would make no sense to be paying for CE if it costs any more than ET. It would suggest that you think of short haul flying as a way to get from point A to B as smoothly as possible and are service-insensitive which is perfectly coherent.

At that rate, by the way, it would also be important to note that many will think of long haul flying as exactly the same.

Otherwise, then I can't really agree with the argument that it's all the same either in general or for status passengers. I can't see that the very tight sitting on IB, U2, LH, or now BA NEO is the same as the far less tight sitting on KL, AZ, AF, or even AY and SK.

I can't see that it is the same to get free food and drink on AF, LX, A3, TK, and Cityflyer and nothing at all on BA, IB, U2 or FR.

I can't see that it is the same to get free wifi on DY, free entertainment on all flights on YW and nothing on BA, AY, SK, EI or KL.

Similarly, for passengers with some frequent flyer status, I can't see that it is the same to be given lounge access when flying BA, LH, LX, SK, TK, AF, or KL but nothing on U2, FR DY or VY.

Equally, I can't see that it is the same for very frequent flyers to be allowed some checked luggage on all flights on AF, LX, OS, and KL but not on BA.

And I can't say that it feels the same to have be given empty middle seats on LH, LX, AF, IB, and increasingly (but still a lot less often) BA through theoretical seating, but not on KL, U2, and the other half of BA flights that I take which are not full but still have people sat next to me.

Now the important thing here is that you can't have it both ways. The differences in terms of flying with - say - AF, LX, and TK or BA and IB within Europe happen to be remarkably similar as the differences between CE and ET on BA especially for any status passenger, so it seems impossible to me to claim at once that Y across Europe is "all the same" to passenger A but that it could make sense for passenger B to upgrade from ET to CE for a "modest" price. I would add that the differences between BA and AF within Europe are often larger than, say, between U2 and BA except in terms of airport choice so again, it is important that the "it is all the same" argument is either made or is not, and if it is, is probably not a very good thing for BA.

I also can't say that I feel treated the same way onboard by AF (or for people with HON status on LX which is not my case), where I systematically get bottles of waters and pillows brought to me vs LH or KL where nothing happens, and BA where it is a rare (though welcome) event typically limited to MFCC flights whilst the rest has zero interaction bar generic door greeting to all and sales pitch, which somehow makes it even less pleasant humanly than in most shops.

Now of course, some of the above may or may not matter to different people - for instance, you like the LH beers whilst frankly, I personally couldn't care less, and conversely, for me, getting my own bottle of water on AF in addition to a food and drink service does make a big difference to my comfort whilst others will undoubtedly find it irrelevant to them. Similarly, I don't really enjoy the U2 boarding experience being stuck in a corridor for half an hour whilst others may not mind in the least, but ultimately those are meaningful differences which will matter to some and may add up to distinctiveness in service and perceptions of service.

Now don't take me wrong, far too often, this forum is used to pointless Manichean oppositions of an "all or nothing" type - as though anyone would ever "only" fly anything shortest irrespective of all other notions or fly "only" based on service (or miles or status or whatever) irrespective of any convenience, or just price with nothing else mattering. I just don't believe in that absurdly over-simplified "all or nothing" vision.

To me, how and what will fly is the product of complex and largely subconscious evaluations and some level of instincts. This is why I end up flying on about 30 different airlines every year, and no, that's not "only" based on pure schedule or price either. So quite frankly, if I need to go from NCE to TLV, I'd much prefer to fly U2 or LY nonstop than go with LX or BA even in F. And yes, if flying from London, I typically prefer to fly from LHR or LCY but honestly, if flying U2 or DY from LGW is half the price I'll go for it. Similarly. if I am going to fly between two cities for which I do not have any nonstop option, then service elements as well as the quality of the connection (for which I rate BA as worst of all major European airlines except from UK domestics) become a lot more relevant. Equally importantly, however, I do accept that other things that typically do not matter to me (e.g. extra luggage) will matter to others on various itineraries, but ultimately, I suspect that it is very, very few people who genuinely 'practice' their flying as though "all European Y is the same" and in my experience, those flights on different airlines do actually feel very different on many levels.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 17, 2019 at 12:41 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that if you are willing to make that argument, then you have to make it consistently. In other words, I'm happy for people to say that all Y flying in the same in Europe, if they also believe, for instance, that there is really no reason to choose BA over U2 or FR, or that flying Y or C or BA is "more or less the same" and in that case that, paying for CE if it costs any more than ET. It would suggest that you think of short haul flying as a way to get from point A to B as smoothly as possible and are service-insensitive which is perfectly coherent.

At that rate, by the way, it would also be important to note that many will think of long haul flying as exactly the same.
This top part of the answer is surely the heart of it: similar aircraft, similar seats, similar number of passengers, similar service level (with minor tweaks), equally congested flight paths. That's the materiality of it. The other issues you mention such as BoB are perhaps material to some people, some of the time, but not others (well not me) however none of us can avoid those first factors, short of using peripheral airlines - nor the current range of fares. It would have to be so, otherwise airlines wouldn't be offering such similar products - competition takes the market in a particular direction, a direction which allows BA and U2 to both offer fares to Grenoble for around £29 one way. easyJet does have a loyalty scheme, Flight Club, it just doesn't have many benefits.

For long haul I think the variations - and fares - remain much more marked. Even the existence of a premium economy cabin - hugely successful for BA - is simply not generically present on most Middle East and Asian airlines, and very few airlines offer First as well as Business. The gap from ET to CE is often remarked on here, but it is as of nothing compared to the gap between Level or Norwegian versus say AF La Première, with fare choices equally wide.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
similar service level (with minor tweaks),
Ah, but you see, this is not a 'fact', this is an interpretation and that was the whole point of my post. As you say, to you it makes little to no difference that AF or TK offer free food and drink and BA does not, but for others, this is not minor at all. Similarly, for you and me, maybe it is an advantage that BA fly from LHR whilst FR fly from STN, but symmetrically, for others, a London airport or another London airport make no difference. And I believe you and some others still do some CE flying within Europe whilst for many who actually agree with your point that the differences between AF and BA Y services merely constitute minor tweaks, would feel that just equally, there are merely minor tweaks between BA Y and BA C (indeed, that is an argument we frequently get here notably from US flyers used to entirely different seats in C). My point is that there is no objective reason to feel that some things are major and some are minor and therefore that if you want to make an argument that AF Y vs BA Y is "objectively minor", then the logic is that BA Y vs BA C is the same, and if you treat BA Y vs BA C as "objectively major" (or AF Y vs AF C), then you would likely also feel that BA Y vs BA C is objectively major too. Again, everyone will have the same things they do and do not care about within those.

For long haul I think the variations - and fares - remain much more marked.

Are they? Again, I don't really see that. Most airlines align in cheap Y prices. Of course you get promotions that can lead to big differences but it is exactly the same short haul. Many also align in cheap J prices and again, promotions vary too. Virtually all airlines align on fully flexible rates. Sure DY may sometimes be vastly cheaper than BA or SK under a promotion, but equally other times, and of course, within Europe, it is equally the same, I frequently find myself booking trips where U2 happens to be a lot cheaper than BA or AF, and then some other times the pricings are exactly comparative or even cheaper. Differences in space? They are typically minor in long haul Y, often vary more between aircrafts for the same airline than across airline, and in any case, there is no particular reason to claim that for a long haul Y flyer, an extra inch of legroom or an extra 2 degrees of recline will necessarily make a bigger difference than free food, drink and entertainment or an extra inch of legroom do in short haul Y. I also don't find differences in service any larger in long haul Y than in short haul Y. Again, it is the same variations: free food or not, do you pay for alcohol or not, different entertainment, marginal seat differences, marginal differences in luggage concepts, free seat assignments or not, etc. To me they are almost exactly the same differences as we find in short haul Y, so either they are meaningful both ways or "Y flying is more or less the same" on long haul too to paraphrase the post I was answering.

In J and F, then yes, products do vary a lot more considerably. As for W, it makes a lot of difference to some people, and again, none whatsoever to others like me. I'd personally choose JL Y on a 788 any day over BA or AF or LH W especially given the price difference, and would never choose W over Y on any of the above airlines unless the price difference is really negligible. Similarly, many people would argue that J and F are massively different, but I know that in your case, you systematically choose to stick to J.

So again, we are in the same framework: differences exist and are potentially important though some people will be more or less receptive to some of them.

The gap from ET to CE is often remarked on here, but it is as of nothing compared to the gap between Level or Norwegian versus say AF La Première, with fare choices equally wide.

OK, there I agree - if we are no longer comparing Y to Y etc but Y to J long haul (let alone Y to F) on many airlines, then yes, the range of options within a given airline tend to vary a lot more long haul than short haul, though again, as mentioned, this is not necessarily linear (e.g. some people see a huge difference between Y and W but I don't, some people see a big difference between J and F but you don't, we both feel that there is a big difference between W and J but some people don't agree with us. Yet, I know few people who would claim that there are no big differences between Y and J or Y and F on any airline).

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 16, 2019 at 3:29 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To me, how and what will fly is the product of complex and largely subconscious evaluations and some level of instincts. This is why I end up flying on about 30 different airlines every year, and no, that's not "only" based on pure schedule or price either. So quite frankly, if I need to go from NCE to TLV, I'd much prefer to fly U2 or LY nonstop than go with LX or BA even in F. And yes, if flying from London, I typically prefer to fly from LHR or LCY but honestly, if flying U2 or DY from LGW is half the price I'll go for it. Similarly. if I am going to fly between two cities for which I do not have any nonstop option, then service elements as well as the quality of the connection (for which I rate BA as worst of all major European airlines except from UK domestics) become a lot more relevant. Equally importantly, however, I do accept that other things that typically do not matter to me (e.g. extra luggage) will matter to others on various itineraries, but ultimately, I suspect that it is very, very few people who genuinely 'practice' their flying as though "all European Y is the same" and in my experience, those flights on different airlines do actually feel very different on many levels.
I think this is exactly it.

While I agree that schedule and price are not the sole factors to be considered, certainly for me (and I suspect a good chunk of the flying public) they are the overriding ones. Perhaps especially so for those of us not based near a major international airport.

As a GLA based flyer, I realistically have the following options:

1. A direct LCC service (where available)
2. A connection on BA via LON
3. 3x daily connections on KL via AMS
4. 1x daily connection on LH via MUC (morning) or FRA (afternoon)
5. Up to 5x daily connections on EI via DUB

LX, AF, TK et al may (or may not) be miles better than the options above, but I’d have to go out of my way to fly them, either by getting to EDI (and I’m on the wrong side of Glasgow for that to be regularly workable) or by booking an unprotected “connection” on a LCC to their hub first.

So, for me, I’d take a direct flight on U2 if available. Otherwise, BA via LHR is my best option due to the number of daily connections and, as you say, for domestic passengers the connection process is quick and painless and (to me) far preferable than connecting in Europe as an international passenger. Added to that the risk (on the return leg) that a missed connection could mean an extra night in MUC, FRA or AMS, whereas BA has a little more scope to get me home the same day.

The other service elements you mention earlier in your answer: catering, WiFi, lounges are not unimportant. But I wonder how much they are “reasons to choose airline X” as much as they are “reasons to stay with airline X”.

I think this is what BA has sussed with the introduction of BOB for SH Y. Much as many here (myself included) bemoaned its introduction and lamented the loss of a free coffee or G&T onboard, it hasn’t materially changed my flying habits. Similarly, I’m no fan of the new slimline seats on the NEO aircraft (am I the only one who finds the tiny half-arm rest incredibly irritating and uncomfortable?) but they seem to be becoming a fact of life in SH Y.

BA’s Y offering in Europe may be stronger or weaker when comparing the totality of differences (big and small) across catering, lounges, WiFi, scheduling, seats, crew etc. But realistically what would make me stop flying them would be a drastic cut in the LHR-GLA schedule and/or an LGW-style domestic connection where you need to go landside and reclear security (or an EU competitor increasing schedules/simplifying connection processes for GLA passengers)

orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.