Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slandered by flight attendant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bnfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
May just be me, but if I heard a cabin crew member say sometihng like that about me, my (loud enough) retort would have been that I 'would be taking ownership of the galley next, including all the champagne'!

I quite often find a bit of humour can diffuse matters, and I certainly wouldn't let it spoil my flight.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The first handful of responses usually set the tone for the rest of the thread. And so far it's teetering on the edge of another of those blaming the complainer - this time for being petty, over-sensitive, making too much of things, being unresponsive in the face of contrition etc etc

Perhaps the OP was making mountains out of a molehill with the locker & bags saga, but surely part of what you're paying for in first-class travel is the ability to indulge the odd fad or two.

And perhaps the reference to the many trips travelled in 1A could be interpreted as a fair bit to the right on the DYKWIA spectrum, but so what?

If the report is at all accurate, the offending crew member behaved quite extraordinarily badly.

Escalating the matter with personal face-to-face intervention maybe wasn't the wisest response the OP could have made - but travel and time distortion create stresses some are better at handing that than others. I'd like to think I'd have defused the situation with humour, but still have had a word with the crew leader. But who knows?

What would have tipped me over the edge would have been one of those "I'm sorry if you were offended"-type apologies, rather than the simple "I'm sorry".

It's unreasonable to expect the offending crew-member to be flogged, gaffer-taped to an economy-class seat, or ejected from the aircraft. But maybe if the CSD had persuaded him/her to apologise to the OP there could have ben an element of kiss and make up to celebrate here, instead of this sad tale of hurt.
HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Oh, i heard what you said, Im so sorry you think that, I dont think I own the cupboard. I just wanted somewhere to put my bag where I can get at it during the flight without it getting in the way of the guy in row K, whats the best thing we can do?

Try something that to deescalate. Gives an opportunity for the FA to back out gracefully. Often giving ground is a great way to turn a bad situation in your favour.

For the record, I think this was hugely unprofessional by the crew member, its not slander though. I know that when youre annoyed on a long night flight and cant sleep you build these things up in your head. The CSM was obviously aware and I expect will have offered some advice to the FA out of earshot.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by kingsroadgal

Yes, I have no problem with the First CSL. He was a nice guy, and I told him I appreciated his words. But basically having someone announce to the cabin that youre a b is upsetting. Try it sometime! Especially when the whole story isnt out there. Nothing I did deserved public humiliation. Totally my decision not to eat. Dont like stuffing myself with calories when I wont enjoy it.
I maybe mistaken but you do not say anything in your initial post about someone announcing that you are b to the cabin?
orbitmic and HMPS like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:02 am

Very unprofessional behaviour of the crew, almost shocking imo. Also, the 'I'm sorry if you felt this way' apology would have p*ssed me off too.
HMPS and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:16 am

OP had better never become a high school teacher. This sort of “slander” is mild and easily ignored. You should see what we put up with on a daily basis........

i realize OP paid good money and deserved better treatment, but sometimes you just can’t take things personally or you are the one to suffer.
Bearface likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm not sure how "the lady in 1K thinks she owns the wardrobe" becomes "you are a b*tch".

It sounds like you are still pissed off.

What do you want at this point other then the mixed reactions and mild sympathy you will get on FT?
Brisbane Road likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
No matter how annoying J/F pax can be (and I'm sure some of them would try the patience of a Saint) it is very silly and unprofessional for the cabin attendant to have made such a comment. It would be unacceptable in any cabin, let alone F. The attendant either wanted the OP and others to hear the comment or was indifferent/reckless to that happening; alternatively they were plain stupid and completely lacking in self-awareness. I have no doubt that CC exchange all sorts of nasty comments about pax from time to time, but you really cannot do it in earshot of the passengers. Very poor. And all for something really quite trivial in the broader scheme of things. For the record, I am not suggesting that the OP was being difficult or unreasonable.
HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Amidst all the brouhaha, one point needs emphasising ... the use of passenger storage space for spare magazines. Ive encountered this more than a few times in Row 1 in CE, and it really irks me. Surely it would be possible for such items to be stored in a BA container in the hold? Theyre hardly needed for immediate replenishment in-flight?

The bedding is a separate issue, and Im quite sure that topic will recur here. Even in CW, theres a bit of stowage stress developing ... where DO we put all this stuff BA keep giving us? And, of course, densification denies the opportunity to provide somewhere ddicated for the CC to stow not only their stuff but also the bulky provisions for pax.
kingsroadgal, HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If comments were made loud enough for someone to hear them, conclusion potentially the comment was made loud enough for such person to hear them. It isn't professional but until I hear their side of the story your entire post is overly sensitive. Flight crews remain professional with overly entitled, needy and pushy customers. They are to keep a smile on otherwise they wouldn't have their jobs. If you or someone in your family pushed a flight attendant to vent - maybe just maybe there is justification to their commentary and instead of being pissed you need to recognize the imperfections of your crew/family. IMO, whether you heard the comment or not - maybe it is time you MIND YOUR BUSINESS when other people are talking privately to one another. My response isn't what you want to hear but if there is no truth to their commentary than ignore it (likely you will never encounter them again and luckily for them they will never encounter passengers in 1K and if there is truth to the comments make sure you or your family never conduct your/themselves in such a manner that such words are ever spoken again on behavior. Be more sensitive of treatment of others as maybe this is just the 1st time you heard it aloud but not the first or last time such or similar comments were spoken.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Well, I think the crew member should be fired for shouting that loud. As mentioned above, I must say I've never heard anything said in the galley when sitting in 1A and 1K, let alone that distinctly.

I think all else has been said:

1) it is incredibly unprofessional of any crew member to make disparaging comments regarding a customer onboard, let alone do so loud enough to be heard by anyone;

2) It seems to me that the situation was handled well: you asked for the crew member not to approach or talk to you after the incident and this instruction was respected either by the crew member of his/her own willing or upon instruction from the CSL. Conversely, the CSL seems to have taken close care of you throughout the flight and ensured you get regular offers of service should you have changed your mind about wanting anything. I'm not quite sure what else he/she could have done;

3) It's up to you to decide what you want to do now. I'd just let it go, if you want to write to BA and complain, it seems to me that the CSL gave you all you needed and asked for to be able to do so;

4) In terms of the starting situation, none of us were there so whilst we have a clear sense of your perception, it's worth remembering that sometimes our words, tone, or demeanour do not come across to others the way we perceive them ourselves. It does not in any way excuse the stupid words uttered by the crew member, but that really is the only thing one can easily comment on;

5) I don't think that calling this "slander" helps your case, but that, of course, is up to you.
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Why am I posting? This is a BA forum and this happened on BA. Take it or leave it. I am sometimes idealistic enough to think that each thought advances the cause a little bit. Am I perfect? Certainly not, and I think there have been many good suggestions on alternate ways of handling things. I appreciate that. I did what struck me at the time and it may not have been right. I am not a particularly selfish person. Almost to my detriment at times. I do think it would have helped me to get some kind of apology from the FA at least for the manner in which the words were spoken. As someone pointed out above, I totally accept that co-workers exchange "thoughts" about people in the cabin. Nothing I did deserved public comment. Even when I walked off the plane, this flight attendant just stood by silently even though no one else was really around. Oh well. What will I do? Complain to BA and get 5000 Avios? Probably not.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am surprised that this happened. I used to work in the airline industry before and it is shocking and shows lack of professionalism. Yes there are passengers who are PIAs' but you still treat them professionally especially if they are First class passengers who can get away with a lot of things that passengers in other classes cannot.

Passengers may react differently in different situations. The stress levels may be different too and in another circumstances the passenger may not react as hard as she did as this time. But at no time should she be treated the way she was treated and I do understand her frustrations about being " humiliated" on board.
I also think you should write to BA and complain. It is the only way that these things could be eliminated.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Completely agree.
I took my first A321neo flight last week and it was quite frankly a joke in terms of useful available space for the crew to use in flight. The rear half galley appeared to be insufficient for BoB. It's only a half galley on one side of the rear door. Everything seemed to be stored and prepped at the front galley so you had trolleys coming down, being set up and then rolling back up the aisle again. Then coming back for replenishment before rolling back up. So this prevented the Club service from starting well. I had a walk up the back and there were queues for toilets leading back into the cabin 5-6 rows. These being for the 2 super tiny loos that they now cram into the space of 1. So this led to the crew pretty much using the galley space at 1R most of the time to conduct the service. Keeping in mind there were 6 crew in this thing.... Now add into the mix the CE pax trying to use the toilet at the front and I can tell you it made for a very full and crampt and personal space invading experience. I really don't know how crew cope with that on a daily basis - there is literally no place for them to work or prepare the service without having a colleague or a passenger prevent them for doing so.

I can only hope worldwide fleets don't suffer similar densification. It's all very well enhancing the onboard offering with new bedding, plump pillows and the like but BA really need to consider the storage implications on the passenger as well as on their crews and appreciate as much as they'd like them to be, that their cabin walls and storages are not made of elastic. There's only so much space before it's going to get rediculous. I fear the future of short haul is already there.... and it's not pretty.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Lucky you weren't removed from the flight by telling the FA to stay away.

I just would of shrugged it off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.