Wiki Posts
Search

A sad day for a leisure traveller.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by antichef
You are posting in the wrong forum, my dear!
lol.... yes that's for the Match thread!!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
A quandry for me. Estimated 1,330tp this year. Do I go the extra mile(s) for the sake of it.
Depends.. With the soft landing from gold to silver, does guarantee you at least two years of good status
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TTmex
Depends.. With the soft landing from gold to silver, does guarantee you at least two years of good status
Agreed. Silver is good, but Gold is a little bit better.
TTmex likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
After many years in the elite bracket (including 10+ at Gold), I slid down the slope a couple of years back after making a conscious career decision which took me away from flying in the pointy bit (or indeed having the disposable income to pay for the pointy bit out of my own pocket). BA comped me Gold in the first year which was nice and then I dropped to Silver and then Bronze. I managed to maintain Bronze last year and will likely do the same again.
I am following a comparable trajectory. After countless years as Gold (primarily through self-funded leisure travel), I got so fed up with the drip, drip,drip of "service enhancements" that I moved away from BA. I now fly primarily on AF/KL. As a result, last year I accumulated less than 100 TPs and was downgraded to Silver. This year is likely to be the same and I therefore expect to be Bronze next year. I still fly BA occasionally but primarily on redemption tickets (I still have a pile of Avios to use). I miss the extra award availability that I used to get as Gold, which could come in handy at times. Other than that, I don't really mind. That said, I still have access to lounges as Silver for now for the few BA flights that I still do.

My situation is somewhat different to yours or that of the OP, though, as it is a switch to a different alliance rather than a complete loss of status (I am Platinum with Flying Blue). I was also very far away from LTG whereas I should be able to achieve the equivalent status in Flying Blue more easily, so that was another factor that eased the move away from BA .
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cauchy
And get lounge access off your credit card.
While it is true that there are alternative ways to get lounge access, the nicer lounges are, as a rule, lounges which are only accessible by those traveling in the premium classes of the relevant airline or through frequent flyer status. relying on paid access or on lounge membership programmes (priority pass and the like) typically gives access to lower quality lounges.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
relying on paid access or on lounge membership programmes (priority pass and the like) typically gives access to lower quality lounges.
or lower class lounge users....god preserve us.
😱

😋
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Scrudgy,

Please don't pass on any more secrets! Letting on about Pret is as bad as talking about the T5B lounge!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: too many
used to be Gold on the big 3 alliances (AF G, CX G and A3 G) a few years ago...not anymore
This year will be the first in a while I won't get to Silver, having flown 10 TP only this year, and to be honest I can't be bothered:
1.Flying with 2 kids means that both wife an I would have to renew.
2. BA dropping ORY this year and ANE a few years ago has had a big impact on travel patterns.
3. Flying with toddlers implies we get priority boarding anyways regardless of the airline flown, with the usual exclusion of Ryanair.
4. Lounge access covered by Priority Pass with Amex Plat
5. Level of service on short haul is on par with easyJet now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.