Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Open-jaw with 2-4-1. LHR-EZE already booked. Where can I fly back from?

Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I have already booked the outbound as LHR-EZE. What are my options for the inbound? Ideally not from South America.

MIA would've been perfect, but it seems to be 10 miles short of the requirement :-(
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
MIA looks just within the requirements based on the distance I found on google.

MEX is an option with often good availability and on the 789.

Or if you want something completely different there’s also South Africa (JNB, DUR or CPT)?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Been to South Africa a few months ago, so we'd be keen to try something different!

With regard to MIA, I'm getting different results depending on which website I use to calculate the miles!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:46 am

MIA looks ok according to Great Circle Mapper: Great Circle Mapper
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Booked MIA! They couldn't calculate the tax over the phone, so they sent it for calculation, but according to ITA Matrix, it should be a total of £615.73. Am I right?

I hope the YQ for flights out of the US won't kick-in, but it shouldn't, hopefully!

Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
It should be. You will not be charged ex-US surcharges.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: BA silver,
Return from Santiago on a 789 after flying first to Mendoza and then coach over the Andes to SCL (6-7hrs). Excellent trip. Alternatively fly up to Iguassu for a few days at the Falls and then fly to either Rio or São Paulo returning on a 788 or 747. I think all these inter SA flights can be booked on LATAM using Avios.

Last edited by rjhcambs; Jun 9, 2019 at 4:11 am Reason: Sorry too late for my reply!
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjhcambs
Return from Santiago on a 789 after flying first to Mendoza and then coach over the Andes to SCL (6-7hrs). Excellent trip. Alternatively fly up to Iguassu for a few days at the Falls and then fly to either Rio or São Paulo returning on a 788 or 747. I think all these inter SA flights can be booked on LATAM using Avios.
We’re going (back) to Chile as past of the trip to Buenos Aires. We just couldn’t get the inbound from SCL booked at T-355 despite trying for two nights in a row!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Just to confirm, they calculated exactly what I expected to pay
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ringingup
Booked MIA! They couldn't calculate the tax over the phone, so they sent it for calculation, but according to ITA Matrix, it should be a total of £615.73. Am I right?
I made that £615.72.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rjhcambs
Just for anyone else who stumbles on this thread, you can also fly from MDZ to SCL on LATAM, for minimal avios and fees - flight is 55 mins, which for me is vastly preferable to 6-7 hours on a coach, no matter how luxurious! There are also other operators on the route if no Avios availablity on LATAM (albeit one-way flights can be very expensive in South America, particularly international ones)
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
One benefit of booking ex-GRU/GIG would have been vastly lower YQ as mandated by Brazilian law, but I guess that wasn't convenient or a concern...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.