Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U/D seat selection for Bronze

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by nancypants
Upper deck seats will continue to be available on CA, KE, LH, when the kids are old enough to appreciate it ��
That's a very good point nancypants ^

Hopefully at some point in the future one of the airlines above will change over to oneworld
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In your situation I'd say it's a tall order however you never know. Probably shouldn't say this but many years ago the wife and I (Blues) only managed to get upper deck seats on our first CW 747 experience due to a fellow Flyertalker who offered to 'do us a favour'....no idea how they did it as I didn't ask. It was a full flight as well.

Personally I think the upper deck has always been over-hyped on here.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:53 am

If one did want to have a good chance of getting UD seats for free as a bronze, are there any routes which would be particularly conducive to this?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Don’t forget there’s a lot of movement after check in opens so don’t print your BPs and keep checking back every hour or so to see if anything opens up.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:18 am

I would not be as pessimistic as the others. You will have no chance of 4 upper deck seats at 7 days, they will all be grabbed at time of booking by emerald/saphires. However, when online check in opens, if BA needs to opup then it is often the upperdeck elites moved to F, and that is when seats may open. Check in but do not print your boarding passes, and keep an eye on the seat map.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Personally I think the upper deck has always been over-hyped on here.
Over-hyped, or just substantially better than the main deck?

Side bins
Better CC/pax ratio
Better toilet/pax ratio
Wider aisle

... to name but a few
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191

Side bins
Better CC/pax ratio
Better toilet/pax ratio
Wider aisle

... to name but a few
+
Quieter
Much less foot traffic

UD feels really quite special to me.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The upper deck actually feels like a premium cabin, unlike the zoo/dormitory below.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191

Side bins
Better CC/pax ratio
Better toilet/pax ratio
Wider aisle

... to name but a few
The wife and I aren't fussy so any CW cabin will do us.

I'm sure the OP and his family will have an enjoyable time especially if they get the middle row....which is ideal for a group of four.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I could do a TP run to get to Silver but not even sure then which U/D seats would be free anyway as a Silver. As one of our CHD is 5(other is 13 and will sit anywhere like me) he will be seated next to one of us anyway so will see what is available at T-168 and go from there. before anyone says it we need 215 to get to Silver before 8th July so have plenty of time between then and 8th July 2020 to get back to Silver FWIW. as these flights get us 360 TPs

Maybe there are some Silvers on here with bookings who could share what might be available to them on U/D at time of booking compared to Bronze???
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN
Maybe there are some Silvers on here with bookings who could share what might be available to them on U/D at time of booking compared to Bronze???
AIUI, Silvers are able to choose anything that is neither occupied nor blocked. In other words, if nothing has changed from the EF seat map that you posted above, a Silver should be able to have any of 60AB, 60JK, 61JK, 62AB, 62JK, 63K, 64B and 64JK.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I am silver and can confirm any UD seat that isn't blocked/occupied is free for me to select. That is the primary reason (really) I make any effort to keep silver!

And editing to add, 64A is the only seat blocked for JFK-LHR.
T8191 and MARTINSWIN like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.