FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   U/D seat selection for Bronze (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1972307-u-d-seat-selection-bronze.html)

MARTINSWIN Jun 2, 2019 10:09 am

U/D seat selection for Bronze

now that I am Bronze :( I can only get free seat selection 7 days out, We are 4 PAX on BA209 LHR-MIA on 12th August and wondering if 60JK & 61JK will be available to be booked? Just wanted to let the kids experienced U/D and we can’t have the exit rows so our only chance is if the blocked seats get released at some time??

There are only 3 available for purchase anyway

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4ea3b9e368.png
There are only 5 seats booked at the moment as shown on E/F

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...cad34bd62f.png

Takiteasy Jun 2, 2019 10:34 am

Am sorry I cannot add to this as I have no idea how the loads will be in August.

However I am surprised that 3 months ahead BA does not attempt to upsell you UD seat selection at least by showing you 60JK and 61JK as free. Showing 3 seats randomly distributed to a party of 4 is no conducive to you paying for it - should you have been inclined to do so.

Same for 62A and K, they should be shown here at say SEK6,000 in order to maximise potential revenue...

orbitmic Jun 2, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN (Post 31162902)
now that I am Bronze :( I can only get free seat selection 7 days out, We are 4 PAX on BA209 LHR-MIA on 12th August and wondering if 60JK & 61JK will be available to be booked? Just wanted to let the kids experienced U/D and we can’t have the exit rows so our only chance is if the blocked seats get released at some time??

I'll be a little blunt, but I think that it is extremely unlikely that you'll manage to get two pair of UD seats on LHR-MIA in August. UD seats go quickly, and as MIA is an AA hub, there are a lot of AA emerald/sapphire on the route in addition to BA own. By all means, do keep looking and you may get lucky, but the odds are stacked against you on that.

T8191 Jun 2, 2019 12:23 pm

How many UD seats? Twenty ... and you’re up against all the Gold/OWE pax booking at seat selection time?

I’m not optimistic, but ... good luck.

Globaliser Jun 2, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 31162960)
However I am surprised that 3 months ahead BA does not attempt to upsell you UD seat selection at least by showing you 60JK and 61JK as free.

If you need to pay, you can only get 60B (on some flights), 63AB, 63JK and 64B.

64A is a bassinet.

The others are only available to those who can get seat pre-allocation for free.

Personally, like orbitmic and T8191 I would not rate the OP's chances of getting any upper deck seat if they wait until 7 days before departure.

T8191 Jun 2, 2019 12:37 pm

The ‘emotional value’ of the 744 UD is difficult to cope with. We’ve been fortunate over the years to have the status to select free. I have to ask myself whether I would have paid, in real money, to do that for the two of us ... and I guess that answer might have been ‘Yes’.

Paying for 4 elevates the discussion substantially ... what’s that? c. £350? And what is that as a percentage of the whole trip cost?
And capture all of Row 63?

Your serve, OP!

mikeyfly Jun 2, 2019 12:38 pm

For a return - for a few hundred quid upper deck surely a bronze could get to silver cheaper on a TP run and get all the options :)

Flexible preferences Jun 2, 2019 12:40 pm

Is there a case for purchasing the 3 seats that are available, and waiting for a 4th to appear with the likely seat map changes over time? It may mean that the family is dotted around the cabin, but it is a small cabin, and if the UD is more important than sitting together...

T8191 Jun 2, 2019 12:49 pm

Do note that only 63 B and J are designated exit seats ... they’re the ones that can get to doors quickly in an emergency. The window seats (A & K) aren’t Exit, due to the aisle access issue. BUT ... easy to access the aisle between the seat and the cabin wall, even at my size/age.

Just muddying the waters further ;)

Takiteasy Jun 2, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 31163261)
If you need to pay, you can only get 60B (on some flights), 63AB, 63JK and 64B.

64A is a bassinet.

The others are only available to those who can get seat pre-allocation for free.

I don’t dispute that. If a single traveller without status logged into the seat map, it would not be surprising they would be shown these choices. But if a party of 4 checks and sees these 3 random seats, what Is the probability they would buy them, versus if they had been presented with 4 seats together? You’d think the selling algorithm would be a bit sharper.

Globaliser Jun 2, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy (Post 31163342)
You’d think the selling algorithm would be a bit sharper.

The selling algorithm isn't going to sell seats that - as a matter of policy - are not available for sale.

UKtravelbear Jun 2, 2019 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 31163294)
Is there a case for purchasing the 3 seats that are available, and waiting for a 4th to appear with the likely seat map changes over time? It may mean that the family is dotted around the cabin, but it is a small cabin, and if the UD is more important than sitting together...

i thiought it was a buy all or none policy (unless you started splitting off people to separate PNRs)

and if the kids the OP mentions are <12 then aren’t emergency exits are excluded as well.

Flexible preferences Jun 3, 2019 1:31 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31164023)

i thiought it was a buy all or none policy (unless you started splitting off people to separate PNRs)

and if the kids the OP mentions are <12 then aren’t emergency exits are excluded as well.

Ah, good points ^

Misco60 Jun 3, 2019 1:44 am

Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN (Post 31162902)
Just wanted to let the kids experienced U/D and we can’t have the exit rows so our only chance is if the blocked seats get released at some time??

If the children are too young to sit in an exit row (and I think that's what you're implying) then I doubt very much that they will appreciate the upper deck more than they would the lower deck, and certainly not to the extent that it's worth paying four exorbitant seat election fees for. They do not even have to be made aware that there is an upper deck. :)

As others have said, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to get two pairs of seats on the upper deck, at any price, as they are reserved for - and very popular with - higher status passengers. In any case, I'd have thought that the ideal seats for two adults and two young children would be the middle block of 4 on the lower deck.

nancypants Jun 3, 2019 1:59 am

Upper deck seats will continue to be available on CA, KE, LH, when the kids are old enough to appreciate it 😉