Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can't we talk about something where we have more chance of reaching an amicable consensus? Say Brexit or Trump for example?
Old May 28, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I thought it daylight robbery to charge £81 for an exit row in Y (3.5 hour flight LHR-DME VV). Just checked and that’s now up to £87

S
Old May 28, 2019, 9:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Gig103
Being an FT reader and for a while OW Sapphire, I at least understand the goal of protecting good seats for elites. I disagree with it though because to me, part of the benefit of J travel is the "all inclusive" product. And first come first served has worked for the other airlines.

I like CW aisle seats to be honest, but I chose to fly DL/AF for my next trip because for +$100 in fare, I was able to select seats on four legs for two of us.
What many who come here to complain about this policy appear not appreciate is that before BA introduced this policy it wasn’t even possible to reserve seats in advance unless by status or if you’d purchased a ticket in the higher-priced fare buckets. The policy was introduced to provide those passengers an option to choose a seat before checkin.
Crampedin13A and PETER01 like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:29 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

What many who come here to complain about this policy appear not appreciate is that before BA introduced this policy it wasn’t even possible to reserve seats in advance unless by status or if you’d purchased a ticket in the higher-priced fare buckets. The policy was introduced to provide those passengers an option to choose a seat before checkin.
Provide the option yes, but no need to commit daylight robbery at the same time.
SW7London likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Saltire74

Provide the option yes, but no need to commit daylight robbery at the same time.
Ok...I’ll bite on that one, if you’re paying the £1,500+ to fly what’s another £70 if you add it to the total. It’s not robbery if you’re parting with the £1,500 -£5K in the first place and has other have said you don’t have to pay or be robbed in the daylight!

This topic is very well done more so than some CW steaks
nancypants likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:43 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Ok...I’ll bite on that one, if you’re paying the £1,500+ to fly what’s another £70 if you add it to the total. It’s not robbery if you’re parting with the £1,500 -£5K in the first place and has other have said you don’t have to pay or be robbed in the daylight!

This topic is very well done more so than some CW steaks
I understand your point there but on the other hand, my example was relating to Y.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
As a solo traveler , I am getting very sick of DYKWIA's who think and assume solos will move to cater for them. On Friday on the way down to Malaga in CE, some chap was so rude to the CSM , you would never believe that he had the option to pay if being with his wifey was so important to him. I did move to keep the peace.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Fly First - problem solved
Oi I resemble that remark

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I've dropped to Bronze this year due to a new job etc. And whilst booking my next flight recently I was horrified to see that I'd have to pay for seat selection in Club World. I wasn't prepared to do this and decided to beat BA at their own game........I therefore immediately switched to an F ticket and don't have to pay to select my seats.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31068821-post22.html
halfcape and jp-mco like this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 28, 2019 at 10:21 am
Old May 28, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I was unaware of that, actually, so an insightful addition

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Because part of "premium" is that it's nice to have an all-inclusive experience. You could easily start saying "What's £2 for a cup of tea if you're paying £1,500+ to fly?" and that wouldn't make it right to change CE into BoB.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Gig103
I was unaware of that, actually, so an insightful addition
The news was scooped by Business Traveller and was a hot topic on here at the time. I spoke to someone at BA and asked why the press office wasn't prepared for it being leaked. They admitted that the press office were caught a little off guard but should have been ready. I correctly predicted the negative headline in the next days Daily Mail. I said that they needed to issue (should have had one ready) a release pointing out that the option to select seats wasn't there before. That was something the Daily Mail decided not to focus on strangely. So the only thing that had changed was that you could do it now which was a positive change but for a fee which some would see as negative.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:25 am
Suspended

How much they charge for J seat select in A350?
Old May 28, 2019, 12:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I suspect the price point is set to dissuade those who really don't mind where they sit and to provide those who do mind an option (that was hitherto unavailable) to choose at a price if it really is that important for them to have a specific seat. I see it not about committing daylight robbery but about dissuading uptake to allow greater choice for those on higher fares or with status.
JAXBA likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by headforflights
How much they charge for J seat select in A350?
At the time of booking:

Rows 1-3
AK £87
EF £79

Rows 4-8
AK £80
EF £72

Rows 9-11 and 15-17
AK £73
EF £65
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Fly First - problem solved
Not if your trip has regional connections attached it isn’t.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Blueboys999

Not if your trip has regional connections attached it isn’t.
But not sitting together for 50 minutes is very different to sitting apart for 11 hours on a long haul flight isn’t it? The price of seat selection on short haul is much lower also. Just as a data point - I live in the North.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.