Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gasp! 41 in club europe just now!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by VSLover
just landed at LHR from lisbon...i was in row 1 and i noted there just seemed to be endless travs leaving the galley--but i couldnt determine which row the curtain was at, it was so far back.

eventually just asked and she said there were 41 in CE today. and both windows in row 1 were left empty...but very impressive the amount of service they could deliver! they just never seems to take even the slightest break!
In my experience, CE on BA produces the most consistently good service. I have had cause to criticise F and CW. CE CC deliver consistently good service which is impressive on short flights. I can't think of one that has been less than helpful, pleasant and professional. I wish I could say the same for F and CW CC. Both vary from superb to mediocre.
VSLover likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Around 35% or more IIRC at LHR. Which just shows how popular an airline BA is despite the bad press!!!
Other airlines, such as AF, also have a large share of transfer traffic on their longhaul premium classes.

Popular is a good term. I am one of those frequent "transfer" premium pax from EU to Asia. Many years ago, I chose BA because it was the only airline to guarantee a flat bed.
Today, BA has a somewhat-inferior product but the price is very competitive. For example, their every-day business fare to HKG is well below QR fares, even QR sales fares, and both are one-stop alternative. It's the marketplace, and the difference is justified by the quality difference
Old May 26, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brunos
Other airlines, such as AF, also have a large share of transfer traffic on their longhaul premium classes.

Popular is a good term. I am one of those frequent "transfer" premium pax from EU to Asia. Many years ago, I chose BA because it was the only airline to guarantee a flat bed.
Today, BA has a somewhat-inferior product but the price is very competitive. For example, their every-day business fare to HKG is well below QR fares, even QR sales fares, and both are one-stop alternative. It's the marketplace, and the difference is justified by the quality difference
Yes as you'd expect all European hub home airlines have high numbers of connecting passengers. However if CE loads are high then one has to assume quite a large percentage are connecting on to CW services.
Goes without saying BA products aren't always the best but they continue to be very popular with the travelling public. Something which doesn't get publicised a lot.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Valid point, HIDDY. Add in the emotional aspect of not wanting a ‘lesser’ experience when connecting to a ‘superior’ long-haul one and you have the passenger[s] hooked.

Works for us, anyway.
rapidex likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:25 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by navylad

plus the 45-60 minutes before hand for checks and embarkation and 30-45 minutes on landing g for disembarkation, checks and briefings. This is the real world, like many jobs it is intense work and the OP’s point is perfectly valid.
Well said. Indeed they are working in a pressurised cabin and you do not stop, it is highly intense. I might add that some of that galley equipment is heavy. I love it when people make remarks like that and wonder when they did anything like it themselves.
VSLover, flygirl68 and EJetter like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Well said. Indeed they are working in a pressurised cabin and you do not stop, it is highly intense. I might add that some of that galley equipment is heavy. I love it when people make remarks like that and wonder when they did anything like it themselves.
Exactly. Aside from the primary safety aspect, they will switch into a waiter/waitress mode (serving drinks and meals--for lack of a better phrase) and sorry, I never see anyone in the restaurant industry or and front of house service industry position that would need to work like cabin crew sometimes must do--I would not have the tolerance for it myself so seeing it is incredibly impressive--especially with a smile and sometimes with the added fun of chop!
Old May 26, 2019, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Our recent MLA had about 10 rows (hard to count from Row 1) and undoubtedly the majority were an annual ‘big treat’. They just didn’t look like ‘regular’ CE pax, if I may put it that way.
Wow, maybe they should have knelt at your row 1 feet and sought your advice on how to be worthy of being a "regular" CE passenger.
stephenjc likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by VSLover

Exactly. Aside from the primary safety aspect, they will switch into a waiter/waitress mode (serving drinks and meals--for lack of a better phrase) and sorry, I never see anyone in the restaurant industry or and front of house service industry position that would need to work like cabin crew sometimes must do--I would not have the tolerance for it myself so seeing it is incredibly impressive--especially with a smile and sometimes with the added fun of chop!
Nothing new in this thread. Pre 2009 the 7am ish to Stockholm would regularly see CE well past the overwing exits. KLM of old could have almost 20 rows of business on Hamburg-Amsterdam (in the days of older 737s). And on the BA 767s just the first cabin alone was 54 club seats and often filled.
so really nothing new here at all, and all quite regular despite the gasps and hyperbole here, again.
Old May 26, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
PUCCI - full credit to CC who work hard, as the vast majority do. They do a good job, and very often amidst trying circumstances / conditions (not to mention trying pax !)

But let’s also be realistic and not pretend they are Mother Theresa. It is simply not true to imply that they “do not stop”. Some sectors will be especially busy ; but many will not be.

A few weeks back I had an OSL-LHR, and because we had missed our slot it was necessary to do a wing de-ice after concerns that fresh ice had built up. The whole process took around 20 mins. Nice chance for CC to sit and chat merrily amongst themselves (of which no criticism .... there was little else to do). And later, with a fairly light load in CE, there was a lot more chat time after meal service, all of which I could overhear (and perhaps too clearly ....). They didn’t sound to be under a whole lot of stress, for sure.

Old May 27, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I’m just back from LIN on a 12 row CE and when I think about it over the last few weeks every CE flight I’ve taken has been at least 10 rows + and service on the whole has generally been great albeit I’m seeing all sorts of strange service routines that I’m sure aren’t the norm - sometimes pre dinner drinks , sometimes not (on band 3) and yesterday 1 crew member started at row 1 and the other at row 12 then they met in the middle which I haven’t seen before in CE - so being in row 4 I almost last to be served in a 12 row cabin.

Maybe just coincidence.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris9642
1 crew member started at row 1 and the other at row 12 then they met in the middle which I haven’t seen before in CE - so being in row 4 I almost last to be served in a 12 row cabin.
I also had exactly this a couple of weeks ago in a 12 row CE cabin. I still got my first choice of meal whilst served literally last (row 7) but others relatively forward in the cabin did not and were annoyed having seen the meals sail past them to the back of the cabin. I would however have sat in row 11 or 12 had I known I could both be served first and have the extra legroom!
Old May 27, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by volar

I also had exactly this a couple of weeks ago in a 12 row CE cabin. I still got my first choice of meal whilst served literally last (row 7) but others relatively forward in the cabin did not and were annoyed having seen the meals sail past them to the back of the cabin. I would however have sat in row 11 or 12 had I known I could both be served first and have the extra legroom!
I would have chosen row 12 if I had known this also - row 12 and 11 were served a good few mins before row 1.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by subject2load

PUCCI - full credit to CC who work hard, as the vast majority do. They do a good job, and very often amidst trying circumstances / conditions (not to mention trying pax !)

But let’s also be realistic and not pretend they are Mother Theresa. It is simply not true to imply that they “do not stop”. Some sectors will be especially busy ; but many will not be.

A few weeks back I had an OSL-LHR, and because we had missed our slot it was necessary to do a wing de-ice after concerns that fresh ice had built up. The whole process took around 20 mins. Nice chance for CC to sit and chat merrily amongst themselves (of which no criticism .... there was little else to do). And later, with a fairly light load in CE, there was a lot more chat time after meal service, all of which I could overhear (and perhaps too clearly ....). They didn’t sound to be under a whole lot of stress, for sure.

Darling - you are of course correct. I always considered yakking in full view of waiting passengers to be rather unprofessional. In the old days, when dinosaurs roamed the planet we were Air Hostesses. You were there to make people feel comfortable and at ease. I'm afraid that I would go out chatting to the people who pay my salary. Now that is all gone. What does surprise me is that I would use a break in the service to actually grab a bite to eat myself rather than chatting or moaning with my colleagues.

I would also add that this is certainly not the case on the last ALC that I took with 8 rows of Club and less than two hours to serve a full bar and Band 3 catering. I have seen it done badly by one CSM only out of LGW who really had no idea if it was New York or New Year. Dozy as a doormouse.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Thank you for your thoughtful, measured reaction, PUCCI. I was fearful that I would be in line for a rebuke from you ; but not so, and I appreciate the favourable comment.

We clearly share certain important values in our changing world
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.