Wiki Posts
Search

CW - Very disappointing

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
CW - Very disappointing

We've just returned from Jamaica (KIN) to LGW on one of the refurbished 777 in CW. It was booked as a package and we were quite looking forward to it. We've travelled both in Emirates, Singapore and Virgin in J so the bar was set high. Oh dear, what a shambles. The main bug bear, on both legs, was the service. We were offered a drink before lunch and dinner respectively, and that was it. We had to practically beg for a drink with the meal, and forget about refills. The crew were rushing up and down with passenger meals and there was no real personal interaction. I like the way with other airlines, that the table is laid out for you, however with BA you are handed a preloaded tray which incorporates the tablecloth.

It all seemed very rushed, and on the return leg, we weren't offered a hot towel to refresh ourselves before the meal service, than the CSM (or whatever they are now called) tried to take my tray away before I'd finished my main course, when I asked for a refill, but that was ignored.

Since they have the "larder" where I can help myself, when I went there after 30 minutes, basically it was bare.

So all in all, very disappointing. I'm not blaming the CC as they were very rushed, but its certainly not on a par with other airlines. Our next "big trip" is to Perth/Australia in January, with Qantas in J, hopefully they'll be in a different, better, league than BA.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don't think there's very much that anyone can say about this except that most of us have probably experienced similar indifferent service in Club World. On the other hand, most of us have also had excellent experiences in CW. The only consistent thing about the service on BA is its inconsistency.
NYLON Boy, Sealink, T8191 and 6 others like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA
I’ve always been lucky with service, but I do always board with the dread that *this* is the sector where I’ll get the duff crew.

Next trip but one is out of LGW for the first time in nearly a decade. Are all the 3-class 777s refurbed now ?
Old May 18, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I do often find the CW service rushed on the Gatwick refurbed fleet but thats I think because there is only 2 crew.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: QF WP
I probably wouldn’t get my hopes up about Qantas either
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Chris9642
I do often find the CW service rushed on the Gatwick refurbed fleet but thats I think because there is only 2 crew.
There is only 2 crew on the refurbished birds? That explains a lot...
Old May 18, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bluecardholder
We've just returned from Jamaica (KIN) to LGW on one of the refurbished 777 in CW. It was booked as a package and we were quite looking forward to it. We've travelled both in Emirates, Singapore and Virgin in J so the bar was set high. Oh dear, what a shambles. The main bug bear, on both legs, was the service. We were offered a drink before lunch and dinner respectively, and that was it. We had to practically beg for a drink with the meal, and forget about refills. The crew were rushing up and down with passenger meals and there was no real personal interaction. I like the way with other airlines, that the table is laid out for you, however with BA you are handed a preloaded tray which incorporates the tablecloth.

It all seemed very rushed, and on the return leg, we weren't offered a hot towel to refresh ourselves before the meal service, than the CSM (or whatever they are now called) tried to take my tray away before I'd finished my main course, when I asked for a refill, but that was ignored.

Since they have the "larder" where I can help myself, when I went there after 30 minutes, basically it was bare.

So all in all, very disappointing. I'm not blaming the CC as they were very rushed, but its certainly not on a par with other airlines. Our next "big trip" is to Perth/Australia in January, with Qantas in J, hopefully they'll be in a different, better, league than BA.
Always worth feeding back. It might not achieve much but the more the management hear about it, the more likely something might be done to improve things in the future (not holding breath):

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...nts-and-claims
Old May 18, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are 3 crew working in CW on the LGW based 32 configured B777 which in my opinion is a good ratio, they should be able to give a great service but to me it sounds like the OP had a duff crew combined with incorrect expectations of the BA product.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We've had both excellent and cr@p crews on LGW Caribbean runs. Sadly, they seem far more inconsistent than on other BA l/h routes we've flown.

I shall be hoping for the better end in 38 days' time to UVF
Old May 18, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
it sounds like the OP had a duff crew combined with incorrect expectations of the BA product.
I’m not sure expectations can be correct. Unless the OP is a clairvoyant.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expectations of the product not the service.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
You know at the end of the day
you are really just paying for a better seat
MikeBOS and nancypants like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:32 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Expectations of the product not the service.
Is getting drinks never refilled or not getting a second one with the meal a wrong expectation on the product side or the service one?
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by malkie
Next trip but one is out of LGW for the first time in nearly a decade. Are all the 3-class 777s refurbed now ?
Not yet. More than half done, but still several to go over the course of 2019. Details in the Wiki of the below thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...nwards-38.html
Old May 18, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Is getting drinks never refilled or not getting a second one with the meal a wrong expectation on the product side or the service one?
Did I say that, no I said they had a duff crew!
The reason I said product expectations was that the OP said they preferred this: “ I like the way with other airlines, that the table is laid out for you, however with BA you are handed a preloaded tray which incorporates the tablecloth.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.