Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes for Avios redemptions ex. DEL

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Taxes for Avios redemptions ex. DEL

Hi all,

First time poster on this forum so thanks in advance for any help you can provide and I hope the terminology is on script!

I’ve been tracking Avios redemption availability from DEL to LHR in F. For months the BA website has quoted c.GBP195 in taxes. Today I went to book and got an error message saying I would need to call the BAEC.

I did that and the agent quoted c.GBP583 for taxes. I tried a range of dates for Avios redemptions from various Indian airports in F and J and get the same error message. It seems you can only book online in Y.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a solution?

Old May 14, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Real taxes and carrier imposed surcharge (=100% airline profit) are not the same.
But both an add-on to an avois award flight.
I think India may have a higher real tax for higher class flights (but not 100% sure)
Old May 14, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There was a thread on this earlier. Since the introduction of GST, the cash component of avios redemptions has been incorrect ex-india. Easiest solution is to transfer to Iberia and book from there if you have a qualifying IB account, else play the phone agent lottery who is willing to price it right.

Old May 15, 2019, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks. So is there a view on which is likely correct? £195 or £580?
Is the latter a potential IT glitch which needs a good agent to do a manual workaround?
Old May 15, 2019, 1:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Some previous threads on the GST issue. There may be some suggested solutions in them

Avios booking GST tax from India
EX-INDIA taxes super high??
New Avios surcharges for CX flights leaving India?
Reward Flight Taxes
Old May 15, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
It's a 12% tax that for some reason BA apply to a randomly chosen cash fare, even though your cash fare is zero. The correct fees appear to be £5 taxes, £165 BA surcharge, and 12% tax on the £165. So £190.

FWIW, Iberia want £190 so if you have an account there use that (but otherwise you have to open one and wait 90 days). avios.com want £226: you can open an account with AerClub and do a transfer there without waiting. Or in the first thread linked above you'll see the final posters solved it by calling BAEC India, which is a smart idea, but interestingly they got charged £224.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

An update for you all on this. I called the BAEC again during UK office hours and spoke to a genuinely helpful agent who was aware of this particular issue. He created a reservation for me and sent it to be priced by a ticketing team. I called back the next day - again during UK office hours - and taxes were confirmed at £188. Result!
So that was the solution in this instance. I’m all booked in F on BA142 DEL-LHR so many thanks for the advice. Let’s just hope BA don’t switch the metal from the 789 to a 772!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.