Search

Avios booking GST tax from India

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Avios booking GST tax from India

Hi all,

I am trying to make an one-way Avios booking in Club World from Delhi to London and seeing the taxes being calculated a bit oddly.

On the first screen (when selecting the flight), it shows as: Avios Pts + $245.70. This seems correct.

After the flight is selected and ready to be ticketed (after clicking Continue), the price jumps to Same Avios Pts + $712.02.

Looking at the breakdown of taxes, it seems to be: $215 carrier fee (fine) + $1.10 user development fee (india) + $3.80 passenger service fee (india) +
$492.12 Goods And Service Tax (India) = total of $712.02.

That last bit (GST calculation) seems totally incorrect.

Anybody have any tips? There's only one seat remaining and I would hate to lose it as it's the perfect timing.

Calling BA hasn't helped either.

Much thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

India a has tax on flights ex India. More on premium cabins. May be based on the retail published fare

https://cleartax.in/s/impact-of-gst-on-air-fares
https://www.livemint.com/Companies/i...heaper-fr.html
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/india-gst/in/en
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:23 pm

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Yes, ran into the same issue trying to book a one way from DEL-LHR with Finnair. Taxes for 5 pax turned out to be $2,700 CAD. A return from LHR-DEL-LHR had taxes of $700 for 5 pax, so there’s definately a high tax applied if departing India
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There is some mis-pricing going on on BA Avios tickets ex-India. There should be no GST applied on Avios tickets(both in coach and business). If you see the same BA flights as AA awards, GST will not apply. If you book using Iberia Avios - you will see the correct price without GST.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Acid
There is some mis-pricing going on on BA Avios tickets ex-India. There should be no GST applied on Avios tickets(both in coach and business). If you see the same BA flights as AA awards, GST will not apply. If you book using Iberia Avios - you will see the correct price without GST.
How do we book this using BA Avios and avoiding the GST? Or can’t it be done?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by HarryKUK

How do we book this using BA Avios and avoiding the GST? Or can’t it be done?
Only workaround I've used is to use Combine my Avios and transfer to Iberia and book from there. I've not tried calling BA to see how it prices.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Acid
Only workaround I've used is to use Combine my Avios and transfer to Iberia and book from there. I've not tried calling BA to see how it prices.
I wonder what BA is doing with these taxes they’ve been (incorrectly?) collecting from Avios bookings since the change.
florens likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by HarryKUK

I wonder what BA is doing with these taxes they’ve been (incorrectly?) collecting from Avios bookings since the change.
Either erroneously paying them to the Indian government (likely) or erroneously shovelling them into the profit column of their books (equally likely).
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, and others
I hate this airline group.

Thanks for the tips -- Iberia does have the correct pricing.

1) Tried to transfer to existing Iberia account but it won't let me as the address is mismatched (I think?). It throws different errors based on if you use it on IB or BA website.
2) Tried to update Iberia account address but won't let me as it requires a "State" in the address field. It's a US account so should be fine but of course the only drop down are Spanish provinces so there's no actual way to select a state, thereby update the address.
3) Tried to create a new IB account -- done successfully with the correct address. However, then errored that cannot transfer to account less than 90 days old.

This crap service means ending my decade long run of BA Gold and lots of longhaul paid premium cabin travel.

Skyteam/Virgin, here I come.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by evacboy
2) Tried to update Iberia account address but won't let me as it requires a "State" in the address field. It's a US account so should be fine but of course the only drop down are Spanish provinces so there's no actual way to select a state, thereby update the address.
Tried changing your nationality or the site you're logged into the to the country the address you're entering is based in?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
The BA fares desk knows this is a recurring problem. I’ve had multiple occasions when I’ve tried to upgrade with avios or GUFs existing india-originating rev bookings from WTP to CW or CW to F, and even the GGL line constantly quotes me some ridiculous taxes and fees differential, which I then have to politely challenge, at which point they then put me on hold while they check with the fares desk who then tell them there is no differential due. There is then some nonsensical excuse given about how because the system doesn’t recognize the point of sale as being India, it incorrectly computes a T&F differential as being due. They then claim that there are no tax and fees differences for tickets issued in India (which is nonsense, it’s just that they are computing them incorrectly for the premium cabins). Not to mention that the number quoted also has no resemblance to the T&F differential they using in rev ticket issuances which one can check quickly by doing two dummy revenue bookings on their website.

I can only imagine there are dozens of pax who unknowingly pay the several hundred pounds per ticket that they are incorrectly asked for.
pkdi likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
BA has long struggled with percentage taxes on redemption bookings, basically because they do a fare quote by booked cabin and then zero the fare, but forget/don't know to adjust the tax that was a percentage of that fare.

The previous Indian tax was the JN and BA eventually managed to get BA.com and the call centres to price awards correctly. The tax gets changed to be the K3 but who knows where BA is in the process of reprogramming BA.com etc

The only way to have the correct amount charged would be to call and ask for the K3 to be updated. There will still be some, as a percentage of the YQ.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
So I had this same issue where the website was incorrectly charging £120 GST for an award on Qatar. Called and spoke with EC and faced a very rude operator. He refused to double check with the fares department and was stubborn that the taxes displayed on BA.com are always right. I politely asked him again and again to double check with the fares department and when he finally agreed before putting me on hold he called me a "a**hole" He obviously said that before putting the mic on mute.

I questioned him that he should not have called me that which he blatantly refused. (do they record the calls?) He finally checked with his manager who also agreed that the taxes were correct and said there would be no point in sending it to the fares department. I politely requested that he does that which they finally agreed.

Will update when I hear back.

On a side note what would others do about being called a "A**hole" when you are trying your best to be as polite as possible.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
On a side note what would others do about being called a "A**hole" when you are trying your best to be as polite as possible.
Raise a complaint: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...service-portal
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

I read recently on a blog that they were able to price it correctly by calling BAEC. The problem is not just India specific - I've seen incorrect pricing on some asia routes also before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.