New Avios surcharges for CX flights leaving India?

Old Oct 3, 17, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

New Avios surcharges for CX flights leaving India?

Trying to book a leg in CX business class from DEL to HKG with avios: Looking at the fare breakdown on the ITA fare matrix, there is no YQ, YR is $30, and Indian govt fees and taxes are $100. I would therefore expect Avios to charge me no more than $130 for various taxes and fees.

Why on earth is Avios trying to charge me $257 in addition to the 37,500 miles cost of the ticket? Is this a new surcharge for India flights? I see the same problem for a BOM to HKG flight also. I had checked this fare a couple of months ago and recall the taxes only being around $60.

Is it worth calling in to check this?
Old Oct 3, 17, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greatscot View Post
Trying to book a leg in CX business class from DEL to HKG with avios: Looking at the fare breakdown on the ITA fare matrix, there is no YQ, YR is $30, and Indian govt fees and taxes are $100. I would therefore expect Avios to charge me no more than $130 for various taxes and fees.

Why on earth is Avios trying to charge me $257 in addition to the 37,500 miles cost of the ticket? Is this a new surcharge for India flights? I see the same problem for a BOM to HKG flight also. I had checked this fare a couple of months ago and recall the taxes only being around $60.

Is it worth calling in to check this?
When you price it up on BA.com what is the breakdown of the taxes/fees/charges shown?
Old Oct 3, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Samsung Platinum
If you can see a breakdown of the fees, compare the JN tax; it might be overcharging it, since it's calculated as percentage of the fare and YQ. BA.com can sometimes get percentage taxes wrong on zero fare quotes.
Old Oct 3, 17, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
If you can see a breakdown of the fees, compare the JN tax; it might be overcharging it, since it's calculated as percentage of the fare and YQ. BA.com can sometimes get percentage taxes wrong on zero fare quotes.
Yes, from the breakdown it appears that goods and services tax is charged at $225, which is $125 more than what the ITA fare matrix says.

Am I going to have any luck disputing this with them over the phone or am I SOL?
Old Oct 3, 17, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
When you price it up on BA.com what is the breakdown of the taxes/fees/charges shown?
See my reply above- the govt goods and service charge is $125 over what the ITA fare matrix says. Do you think I'll have any luck disputing this over the phone?
Old Oct 4, 17, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Thai Gold, JetPriviledge
The Government of India have made some radical changes to Service Tax (now called GST) the new rate on Business class is 12% where previously it was 9%. Not sure if that has anything to do with your situation? But worth checking
Old Oct 4, 17, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Alwaysfly View Post
The Government of India have made some radical changes to Service Tax (now called GST) the new rate on Business class is 12% where previously it was 9%. Not sure if that has anything to do with your situation? But worth checking
Originally Posted by greatscot View Post
See my reply above- the govt goods and service charge is $125 over what the ITA fare matrix says. Do you think I'll have any luck disputing this over the phone?
Yes, it does seem to be this government goods and service charge which is causing the issue. As JAXBA notes, it depends on what value is being used for the percentage calculation and whether that is correct for a reward flight.
Old Aug 22, 18, 8:23 am

Programs: TK Gold
This is ridiculous. BA wants €554 for a direct AY award flight in business class DEL-HEL!

According to ITA the correct charges are much less (about €325), depending on fare paid of course as it is percentage-based.

Is there any way I can get Executive club to recalculate these taxes?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: