Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walkable hotel to T5?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bisonrav
something like the Premier Inn (I think my rate was £29 last time, and it was perfectly good)
That’s certainly unusually cheap for any of the lhr Premier Inn and definitely worth getting at this price. They are good hotels (some of them more convenient than others). More frequent to get this at the Travelodge but those are much less nice options.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that there are two Sheratons at LHR: the Sheraton and the Sheraton Skyline. The latter is within the free zone and served by several routes, so service to the terminals is frequent.
Both are served by free buses and within the free zone.

Sheraton Skyline is only served for T5 by 423 from memory (it's a bit of a walk from the stop, you need to walk past Marriott on the way to Sheraton Skyline, and you need to walk towards Holiday Inn Arial and cross the road for 423).

Sheraton Heathrow is served for T5 by 423 (Thistle stop) and 350 (Duke's Bridge stop).
Sheraton Heathrow is the one down the alleyway from Thistle and across the road from one of the Premier Inn Bath Road.

Sheraton Heathrow is more convenient for T5.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Thanks all. I had completely forgotten about the Premier Inn which as has been noted is right opposite the Thistle. I’ve gone for that: it was about £10 more than the Thistle but I’m a big Premier Inn fan so more than happy with that.

Hopefully the weather will play ball and I’ll try out the walk.
Markie likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by orbitmic

That’s certainly unusually cheap for any of the lhr Premier Inn and definitely worth getting at this price. They are good hotels (some of them more convenient than others). More frequent to get this at the Travelodge but those are much less nice options.
Travelodges new Plus rooms are a bit nicer than their standard room. Has an nespresso coffee machine, as well as a few other amenities and one of the biggest bonus points USB and plug sockets next to the bed with little shelves for charging devices.
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:55 am

The new T4 IHG are very little walking- just have to get 2 trains back. maximum it has taken is 40 mins and more typically about 30. They are the Holiday inn express and Crowne Plaza- less than 5 minutes walk through covered walkway from T4. They are a shared hotel- free breakfast at holiday inn express which is the cheaper. I have got them sub £50 recently/
Old May 10, 2019, 5:55 pm

For me, the Yotel was a no-brainer.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Surely the Sofitel is your best option - Comfort & distance wise. Practically in the Terminal with no stairs & easy access lifts to manoevre heavy bags! Their 4 day stay & park packages are attractive to me also if travelling on a short break. You don't have to pay Sofitel prices to eat, just walk across to Carluccios in T5 for your grub. The food however in both Sofitel restaurants is very good for an occasional treat. It isn't cheap though but their Club Lounge is also nice although has now reverted to only open for for booze from 6-8pm. You do pay extra for this Club Millesmie where its like an airline lounge with snacks/drinks etc. Light Brekkie isnt bad if not catching an early flight and they will box you something up if travelling early. The BA check in at the Hotel is a new innovation this year. You still have to hoof your bags across to Bag Drop in T5 though.

For overall access & comfort I'd pay the extra.

I've stayed at the Thistle but the room are very small and noisy. Everything is faded & it almost looks like an NHS hospital ! The runway view from the Bar/Restaurant is however good if you are an aircraft spotter like me! However I've just looked at prices and the Sofitel was only £ 35 extra for a nite in July.

You also can collect Accor point at the Sofitel/Novotel/Ibis brands and can use these to part pay your stay.

No brainer for me. Sofitel all the way.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Oh the other thing.

Hilton T5 is quite nice with a good Indian restaurant. Rooms are big & nice bar / lounges etc.

BUT you have to take a bus if not walking - I do think you have to be really fit to walk that distance and impossible with bags.

The blinking bus to T5 is easy as you are the 1st pick up.the bus travelling TO T5 BUT

Coming back from T5 the buses missed their times and everyone had to crush onto the bus. We had waited an hr with 40 students pushing & shoving to get to their Travelodge and some people didnt get on!

Hilton T5 NOT recommended. PERIOD

Or you take a taxi back which wont be cheap and wipes out any saving.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by steveggetit
Oh the other thing.

Hilton T5 is quite nice with a good Indian restaurant. Rooms are big & nice bar / lounges etc.

BUT you have to take a bus if not walking - I do think you have to be really fit to walk that distance and impossible with bags.

The blinking bus to T5 is easy as you are the 1st pick up.the bus travelling TO T5 BUT

Coming back from T5 the buses missed their times and everyone had to crush onto the bus. We had waited an hr with 40 students pushing & shoving to get to their Travelodge and some people didnt get on!

Last year I took a new colleague on a one day tour of some of our sites in the West London area. We flew into T5 one evening, collected a hire car from Avis and drove to the Hilton T5.

The overnight parking charge was more expensive than the price of the hire car...
Old May 11, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Oh the other thing.

The Hilton T5 has 2 hoppa services, the H57 and H57X, The H57 calls first at the Holiday Inn T5 then the Hilton then the travel lodge

The H57X only stops at the Hilton, but does not run all day.

So yes, sometime sthe journey is non stop, sometimes it can be very full with people going to other hotels.

The Hoppa is something like £5 each way so being a "canny scot" I try and avoid the hoppa (we are called canny scots cause we canny spend money)

if you take the 423 or the 7 from t5 to the Thistle hotel/premier inn, then cross the road and take the 81 towards slough and get off at Poyle road its £1.50. From Poyle road its a 5 minute walk which is OK if you have one suitcase. Also these buses can be more frequent that the hoppas, so depending on the timing you may get to the hotel more quickly
Old May 11, 2019, 2:02 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The Hoppa is something like £5 each way........
And I bet they STILL don't take credit / debit cards on-board?
Old May 11, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
p
Originally Posted by BOH
And I bet they STILL don't take credit / debit cards on-board?
Not sure, its a while since I used the hoppa, but you can buy using the hotel hoppa app and the ticket is active for 60 minutes from when you buy it so you are expected to purchase the ticket close to the time of travel. if only buying a single then it is slightly cheaper than buying on board. What I do not understand is why you are prompted to upload a photo of yourself for security purposes.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:25 am

. The BA check in at the Hotel is a new innovation this year. You still have to hoof your bags across to Bag Drop in T5 though

No brainer for me. Sofitel all the way.
No you don’t.

And OP said they couldn’t get an affordable deal for the Sofitel so all a bit irrelevant!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The walkable hotels are - in that I have walked to or from them at least once - are:

- Thistle - 1.2 miles - also free bus and charged Pod
- Premier Inn T5 - 1.3 miles - free bus
- Sheraton - 1.5 miles - free bus - this often gets overlooked for some reason but it's not far from T5
- Holiday Inn T5 1.5 miles - paid for bus but not regular unless changing, when it become a free service.
- Hilton T5 - 1.7 miles- irregular paid-for bus

Travelodge T5 is walkable on paper, there is a footpath along the River Colne, but I haven't tried it yet.

All the above have Hoppa services too. In addition there are a series of small lodges and pubs that offer rooms, but you best have a local contact since they're not always fully online for booking.
Which way do you walk to get from T5 to Hilton T5? Google maps shows a route over 3 miles. I'm interested to give it a go weather depending!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Cartafreccia Oro
Originally Posted by booogle
Which way do you walk to get from T5 to Hilton T5? Google maps shows a route over 3 miles. I'm interested to give it a go weather depending!
This is an old thread so worth mentioning that the free buses are no longer free. The airport stopped subsidising them as a cost cutting method during COVID.

Now back to the walking. The reason the route is so long on Google is there’s a small bridge which is only for buses and cyclists and has a no pedestrians sign on it. Most people ignore this and it makes for a much shorter route. Any hotel that requires you to cross this bridge won’t get you the shortest route on Google.

If you want to use Google directions then selecting cycling will take you over the forbidden bridge.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.