Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walkable hotel to T5?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Walkable hotel to T5?

I’ve an early flight next Thursday and am planning on staying at Heathrow the night before. There aren’t any deals on at the Sofitel, so I was going to go for the Thistle as usual, but it got me wondering whether there were any other hotels that were actually walkable to T5 and, how feasible that walk might be?

I’m not a big fan of the Thistle and would rather stay somewhere else, but not rely on public transport.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I’ve an early flight next Thursday and am planning on staying at Heathrow the night before. There aren’t any deals on at the Sofitel, so I was going to go for the Thistle as usual, but it got me wondering whether there were any other hotels that were actually walkable to T5 and, how feasible that walk might be?

I’m not a big fan of the Thistle and would rather stay somewhere else, but not rely on public transport.
No other walkable hotel to my knowledge. There have been a few recent threads comparing the best hotels for T5 so if you do a search you will see a lot of options discussed in very useful detail.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Google maps sows a YoTel at T4. How about that and one hop on the tube / train.

Or even the Hilton Garden at Hatton Cross (where the simulator visits convene before walking down to BAFT).

I know you said no public transport, but unfortunately I am guessing that 'as the crow flies' routes are hard to achieve at an airport (slight inconvenience of live runways etc). So while in theory all the ones to the North of the airport look walkable, the actual route may be quite long.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
What's walkable to you? Are you talking 10 mins or 40?
Old May 10, 2019, 2:37 am

Stayed in the thistle last night due to the price of the Sofitel. Best I can say it was clean. It really is very dated at this stage and £20 for the 2 of us for the pod was a bit rich. Limited options though
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can walk to the premier inn T5 and Hilton T5. However it does involve walking across about 20m worth of bridge labelled as not for pedestrians- albeit I always see people walking across it so I don’t think anyone enforces that.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
What's walkable to you? Are you talking 10 mins or 40?
30-40 minutes is fine, any longer and it'll be back to the Thistle for me I guess.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: BA, SQ
I'm not sure if you're saying for you the Thistle is walkable, which it is definitely (25mins according to google). I've done it a couple of times.
You do have to negotiate the "no pedestrians" bus link by the roundabout though...

If you're happy with that walk you have the Premier Inn T5 opposite the Thistle and then the Sheraton Heathrow Hotel then behind that on the other side of the by-pass.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The walkable hotels are - in that I have walked to or from them at least once - are:

- Thistle - 1.2 miles - also free bus and charged Pod
- Premier Inn T5 - 1.3 miles - free bus
- Sheraton - 1.5 miles - free bus - this often gets overlooked for some reason but it's not far from T5
- Holiday Inn T5 1.5 miles - paid for bus but not regular unless changing, when it become a free service.
- Hilton T5 - 1.7 miles- irregular paid-for bus

Travelodge T5 is walkable on paper, there is a footpath along the River Colne, but I haven't tried it yet.

All the above have Hoppa services too. In addition there are a series of small lodges and pubs that offer rooms, but you best have a local contact since they're not always fully online for booking.
fluffymitten and Mordac like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The main problem with trying to walk is the lack of pedestrian-friendly infrastructure. There is a pavement going north on the Western Perimeter Way that becomes a cycle path / buses only crossing the river which explicitly excludes pedestrians, so getting to Longford Old Bath Road is not legally possible. A pavement of sorts continues around the Western Perimeter (inside the fence) and may continue on to Bath Road, but I suspect you might get stopped by security before you got there. To the south there is a shared use path (cycle plus pedestrians) along the Western Perimeter road to the Southern Perimeter road and Stanwell, but the 'pavement' in other directions is patchy.

I personally have no issues catching the 423 or 350 bus within the free travel zone to Premier Inn or Sheraton and then walk up to Harmondsworth and the greenery around Waterside if you want to stretch your legs.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
"However it does involve walking across about 20m worth of bridge labelled as not for pedestrians- albeit I always see people walking across it so I don’t think anyone enforces that."

Good to know a number of people do use this bridge!
Old May 10, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have stayed many times at the Premier Inn T4 (it is cheap!) but to get from there to T5 without using a taxi is a bit of a trek. 10 min walk to T4, free train to T2/3, free train to T5. On paper it looks easy enough but the last time I did it it took me 45 mins to get from the hotel to check in T5. I will still do it if I have plenty of time but IMO Premier Inn T4 or the HGI T4 is not an option if time dependent unless you are happy taking a taxi.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by konagirl2
The main problem with trying to walk is the lack of pedestrian-friendly infrastructure. There is a pavement going north on the Western Perimeter Way that becomes a cycle path / buses only crossing the river which explicitly excludes pedestrians, so getting to Longford Old Bath Road is not legally possible. A pavement of sorts continues around the Western Perimeter (inside the fence) and may continue on to Bath Road, but I suspect you might get stopped by security before you got there.
The bridge you are referring to, over the Duke of Northumberland's River, is extremely short, about 50 metres, and there is a narrow pavement there, I doubt you would get stopped since cyclists can use it. It is certainly well used by local residents.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet

I previously used the Hilton at T4 which was very comfy, connected to T4 with a walking bridge and from there it is easy to get to any terminal with the train or Tube services.

Globalist
Old May 10, 2019, 3:14 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
For Premier Inn T4 (or Hilton T4) to T5 I would use the bus - 482 & 490 are the services. There is a bus stop outside the Premier Inn T4. The bus stops at T4, Cargo and T5. Best of all as it is in the free flow Heathrow zone which means it is free to use.
snaxmuppet and bisonrav like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.