Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoothies ‘enhanced’ !

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate (I was going to say ‘fully appreciate’ but probably don’t!) that this is a matter of scale - we must be talking thousands of glasses per day, so it’s not necessarily going to have an easy answer but concluding “it’s too difficult so we just won’t serve smoothies” (if that’s really what has happened) seems excessive. I suppose it’s better than concluding no more champagne!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Most paper cups are not recyclable though as they have a thin plastic coating. A truly paper cup tends not to be very liquid resistant, so I can see that introducing paper cups in the current zeitgeist might not be a smart move.
I think they are recyclable but there aren't enough recycling plants capable of handling them. However, given the very thick consistency of the smoothies, a pure cardboard cup may be able to handle them - after all paper straws are good enough for up to an hour or so.
HIDDY, redrose59 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:43 pm

This is definitely a failure in problem resolution. I'm glad that they have determined what the problem is, but they have totally failed at determining how to resolve the problem appropriately. I'd be happy to offer my services to BA (for a suitable fee) so I can help them in this and other areas, as it appears that they are in dire need of assistance.

rb211.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RB211
This is definitely a failure in problem resolution. I'm glad that they have determined what the problem is, but they have totally failed at determining how to resolve the problem appropriately. I'd be happy to offer my services to BA (for a suitable fee) so I can help them in this and other areas, as it appears that they are in dire need of assistance.

rb211.
Maybe I should start a 'How to save BA money' thread? @:-)
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I think they are recyclable but there aren't enough recycling plants capable of handling them. However, given the very thick consistency of the smoothies, a pure cardboard cup may be able to handle them - after all paper straws are good enough for up to an hour or so.
Out of interest what are the take away coffee chains in the UK using nowadays?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Out of interest what are the take away coffee chains in the UK using nowadays?
They seem to be sensitive to the environmental pressures. So for example I got an email from Costa Coffee today, reiterating that they will recycle all paper cups handed into their stores, including those from rival companies. They also give a 25 pence reduction off their drinks if you bring your own cup with you.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by djbenedict
This prompts the thought: how clean can the glasses actually be, if the cleaning process can't remove a bit of dried fruit pulp? What if there was, I don't know, some dried mucus instead? I guess it wouldn't be removed. Ugh. (Perhaps best not to pursue train of thought further)
The cutlery is worse. In between the tines of the forks...

The food and saliva attached dries in throughout your flight. To clean? Leave it to soak, then scrub. I suspect BA’s dishwashers don’t do that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ c-w-s - yes , andworth adding that their ‘sensitivity’ (ie that of Costa et al) has only come about because of fierce campaigning and shaming from those interested in the cause.

There was a time when the big chains seemed complacent about the whole issue and were prepared to do very little, as this piece (albeit now a few years old) illustrates

https://www.rivercottage.net/news/wa...mell-the-waste

”Hugh has asked Costa and Starbucks to discuss the problem of cup disposal in a filmed interview for the next episode of his series, Hugh’s War on Waste. Costa has refused. Starbucks have agreed to an interview in principle, but have yet to give a date”
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Maybe BA's cleaning team can use something like this:

Probably too hard to for loads of glasses to be manually done this way, but an intersting article as to why they do this on the continent from the source file!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:52 pm

That's not going to clean off stuff that could have been used to stick the tiles to the space shuttle!

rb211.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
. They also give a 25 pence reduction off their drinks if you bring your own cup with you.
That's an excellent idea. ^
SaraJH likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Since China has stopped taking other countries’ Recycling and in a number of places recyclables just end up in the trash regardless, is serving the smoothies in recyclable cups even a concern?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Clearly BA is just trying to keep me flying in F instead of CW. There's no other logical explanation...
Oaxaca and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
People actually enjoy those smoothies?

News to me - any smoothie I've ever tried on an airplane, BA or otherwise, has been vile.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Question : If you cannot wash / clean a glass made of glass, what does it do to the stomach etc ? The linings there are delicate.
We drink fruit smoothies at home regularly

SO perhaps we need to look at the list of ingrdients !, never a problem with washing glasses !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.