Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA/IB LHRMAD Cancelled-Not Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (Emerald); Hilton Gold; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold
BA/IB LHRMAD Cancelled-Not Cancelled

I've had a flurry of SMS messages and emails today telling me that the BA-ticketed, BA-coded, IB-operated flights between LHR and MAD (and back) on multiple dates have been cancelled and that I've been rebooked on ... exactly the same flight number departing at exactly the same time and arriving at exactly the same time.

The only discernible difference shows up on the email versions and is change from 'Club' to 'Club Europe' (even though these IB aircraft will provide 'Business').

Is there something afoot that we should be worried about, or is it more evidence that the IT systems between BA and its sister are simply dysfunctional and hopeless?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by paulieuk
I've had a flurry of SMS messages and emails today telling me that the BA-ticketed, BA-coded, IB-operated flights between LHR and MAD (and back) on multiple dates have been cancelled and that I've been rebooked on ... exactly the same flight number departing at exactly the same time and arriving at exactly the same time.

The only discernible difference shows up on the email versions and is change from 'Club' to 'Club Europe' (even though these IB aircraft will provide 'Business').

Is there something afoot that we should be worried about, or is it more evidence that the IT systems between BA and its sister are simply dysfunctional and hopeless?
The latter I suspect...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I notice this week it is a mix of A330 A340 & A350, on the date of travel is showing as an A340. Perhaps a change of frame and therefore internal layout has triggered an erroneous alert!?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:15 pm

Did you book this flight long ago?

There has been some changes to IB operation in LHR in the past months (there was a post here or in the IB forum about the changes) and maybe the system is just 'slow' to adjust to the new setup.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I had the same message, I phoned up the gold line to check and was told it was an IT cockup, also that Iberia didn't know whether it was coming or going!
I was also told to keep an eye out as the summer timetable between LHR and MAD might be changing...
nivsy and george77300 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Did you book this flight long ago?

There has been some changes to IB operation in LHR in the past months (there was a post here or in the IB forum about the changes) and maybe the system is just 'slow' to adjust to the new setup.
Won't be that - the changes were made long ago, and only affected flights out of LHR, not into LHR. The latter have always been proper codeshares in the BA7xxx series.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by firstlight
I had the same message, I phoned up the gold line to check and was told it was an IT cockup, also that Iberia didn't know whether it was coming or going!
I was also told to keep an eye out as the summer timetable between LHR and MAD might be changing...
Really what changes?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Really what changes?
I wasn't given any specific information.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
I wasn't given any specific information.
Please keep us posted, I have a day trip scheduled thru Madrid so any changes could certainly affect me... I haven't booked the MAD-LHR segment yet but it's a tight schedule... throw a couple hours into the mix and well you know how it goes..
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:04 am

Please keep us posted, I have a day trip scheduled thru Madrid so any changes could certainly affect me... I haven't booked the MAD-LHR segment yet but it's a tight schedule... throw a couple hours into the mix and well you know how it goes..
Will do, it's a start-of-year tierpoint run that gets me 160TP for £300 and a w/e in Marrakesh along with a very happy Mrs. firstlight. As a BAH booking it should be fairly bullet proof (famous last words)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Really what changes?
Could it be the introduction of the BA A350 Training flights to Madrid.
george77300 and fluffymitten like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by BAEC
Could it be the introduction of the BA A350 Training flights to Madrid.
This isn't suppose to happen until mid-late Aug at the earliest and in typical BA fashion I'd expect it to not even start until Sept, plus from what I've heard it's just going to take over the 777 slot so there really isn't much of a schedule change there...

Seems different than what OP on this topic was referring to...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'd see this as more of a 'catch-all' eventuality, rather than anything specific to this route. The timetable has been roughly similar for years, and there are so many flights that there simply isn't scope for massive changes.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
This isn't suppose to happen until mid-late Aug at the earliest and in typical BA fashion I'd expect it to not even start until Sept, plus from what I've heard it's just going to take over the 777 slot so there really isn't much of a schedule change there...

Seems different than what OP on this topic was referring to...
Ive seen mentioned that the A350s will initially be booked at A320 loads. Which would indicate it will be in addition to 777 flights - they are primarily cargo flights. It maybe both A320 and 777 equipment swaps to A350

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.