Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Change of return flight after outbound flown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Silver

Other half is flying LHR-MAN-LHR tomorrow - first flight up, last flight back.
if his meetings finish early, is it possible to head to the airport and move the return flight to an earlier one, if seats available, FOC?
HBO fare. Selling class M both ways.
SCH if that helps.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You need to buy a Plus fare for Same Day Change, which usually costs £6 to £10 more than an HBO fare. HBO will usually attract a hefty repricing change. If there is bad weather (etc) they may allow you to go sooner, but I would not assume you can do this.
SussexFly and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Officially no, however with the right agent and a jam packed final flight it would be worth asking. Could free up space for others/ standby and benefit the airline
SussexFly likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I do this route and timings every week at the moment, often on a day return. I suspect that your friend will find that the last flight is quite lightly loaded, meaning that it's unlikely that the staff will move them as a favour, because it's so easy to get a changeable ticket as CWS mentioned.

Unfortunately with the summer schedule, the outbound is becoming earlier and the return is getting later. Yesterday was an 06.45 outbound and a 20.50 inbound which was a long long day.

So I always carefully select the plus fare for the return sector only - it's only £10 more and gives free changes on the day - only to find yesterday that the flight before the 20.50 was around 5 hours earlier.. There appears to be no flights between 15-something and 20.50 at the moment, so I suspect that your friend's meetings will have to finish very early to make a difference!

There is a recent upside to Manchester though, in that the lounge has some new chairs - they just need to fix the wifi now .
SussexFly likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your insights.

How would he upgrade his fare to a plus fare?
call center said they can add a bag which would make it a plus fare, but that’s £65.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SussexFly
Thank you for your insights.

How would he upgrade his fare to a plus fare?
call center said they can add a bag which would make it a plus fare, but that’s £65.
Um, no, paying for a bag doesn't make it a Plus fare, not sure how the agent got that idea.

The only thing the traveller could do is to pay the change fee and a fare difference, which would be north of £65 I would guess. I would imagine the change fee area on the ticket will say something like the following, but it should have appeared at the time of purchase at the end of a very long screen of information.
Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of GBP 60 or an upgrade fee of GBP 60 plus any difference in fare. All sectors may be repriced. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket
SussexFly likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Update on the changing of the return flight:

So my other half rocked up at MAN ticket desk at 1400, asked what the chances of being moved from the 2000 to the 1550 was, and they moved him straight away, no problem at all.

thank you for all your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.