Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Last minute Avios booking - is economy likely to become available?

Old Apr 16, 19, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond

Hey guys,

I would like to fly from LHR to ARN this Saturday and back again the following night. The fares are quite high and so I think an Avios booking is my best bet. I noticed that all flights from LHR > ARN tomorrow are showing as having availability in economy. I'm sort of hoping that on Friday the same may be the case for Saturday's flights.

Can anyone advise on the chances of this? Do BA historically release a load of seats for economy Avios bookings at the last minute if there are plenty seats available? It's Easter weekend and so I'm hoping that most people will be travelling on Thursday/Friday rather than Saturday. If I can't get an Avios booking on Sunday then I may just have to slum it with Ryan Air into STN. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Based on the current loadings for Saturday and Sunday I would say it's unlikely. There is currently business class Avios availability on the Sunday return. There is no extra Gold economy availability showing either. I think the chances are slim to none.
tbm13 and Saint4805 like this.
Old Apr 17, 19, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Based on the current loadings for Saturday and Sunday I would say it's unlikely. There is currently business class Avios availability on the Sunday return. There is no extra Gold economy availability showing either. I think the chances are slim to none.
Thanks for checking. At the risk of pushing my luck, are you able to advise loadings on Fri 26th April from LHR > ARN (BA778 and BA780)? I have decided to go next weekend instead. Would prefer to use Avios in economy rather than burn them in business and the last resort is Ryan Air from Stanstead. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 17, 19, 9:19 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Saint4805 View Post
Hey guys,

I would like to fly from LHR to ARN this Saturday and back again the following night. The fares are quite high and so I think an Avios booking is my best bet. I noticed that all flights from LHR > ARN tomorrow are showing as having availability in economy. I'm sort of hoping that on Friday the same may be the case for Saturday's flights.

Can anyone advise on the chances of this? Do BA historically release a load of seats for economy Avios bookings at the last minute if there are plenty seats available? It's Easter weekend and so I'm hoping that most people will be travelling on Thursday/Friday rather than Saturday. If I can't get an Avios booking on Sunday then I may just have to slum it with Ryan Air into STN. Thanks in advance.
It is not unknown for BA to release all sorts of Avios availability at D-1, even when only expensive cash fares are available... but (from experience) it seems to be route-dependent. [I'm talking short-haul here rather than long-haul]. If you're thinking of going next weekend, then check availability for this weekend today/tomorrow/Friday to see if seats get released on your route. But remember, the past is only a guide, and not a predictor, of the future. Or something.
Saint4805 likes this.

Search this Thread