Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to select 1K on 747 at T-72

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Unable to select 1K on 747 at T-72

Got my first F in a 747 coming up in 3 days and Expert Flyer duly alerted me just before T-72 that 1K had now been released to non-golds. However, BA.com and app are still showing it as blocked whilst EF continues to show it available. All other seat selections are in agreement between two sites. Is this unusual, and is it just a case of checking back frequently?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Give You First a call. I had a similar problem recently where I couldn’t move non-gold Mrs Lem into 1A while I was in 1K, despite it being within T-72.

They sorted it it all out very quickly
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Give You First a call. I had a similar problem recently where I couldn’t move non-gold Mrs Lem into 1A while I was in 1K, despite it being within T-72.

They sorted it it all out very quickly
When I called yesterday immediately after the EF alert and before T-72, YouFirst were still seeing it as blocked. All sorted very quickly this morning though via YouFirst. Not sure if the >T-72 aspect was significant or just the usual agent peculiarities!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by s1362083
Not sure if the >T-72 aspect was significant or just the usual agent peculiarities!
There is no certain time. Some times it is t-72, some times t-48, some times never...
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
There is no certain time. Some times it is t-72, some times t-48, some times never...
No certain time for Row 1 to be release.. but what BA.com sees should match what ExpertFlyer sees, right? Similarly, agent should see what BA.com sees. And one agent should see what the next one does if seat map hasn't changed in the meantime (according to EF). Very minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but none of these happened in this case.

Interestingly, I noticed that row 1 for same flight for the following day was open even at >T-96.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by s1362083
No certain time for Row 1 to be release.. but what BA.com sees should match what ExpertFlyer sees, right? .
No, not necessarily, there are 3 systems involved here (Amadeus Seating/FLY-JFE which is an overlayer/Expertflyer), and though they talk to each other it doesn't mean that at agent can be sure to get a seat. Seats can be blocked for dozens of reasons and you can't rely on EF to have full visibility on that. EF homes in on Amadeus Seating.

What does happen at T-72 (fairly precisely) is that the reservation goes from Amadeus Seating to FLY, at that point the various blocked seats such as bassinets and First row 1s may become available with agent intervention, but it won't be before then in normal circumstances. However it sometimes take T-48 before an agent can get a seat allocated, and they may need assistance from those looking after seating in Flight Management. After T-24, when OLCI opens, normally agents can't do anything more due to the aircraft falling under Airport Control. So the best window is 48 to 26 hours before departure. It is also the case that with the best will in the world an agent can't unblock a seat for some reason, even to a Prem.
s1362083 and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, not necessarily, there are 3 systems involved here (Amadeus Seating/FLY-JFE which is an overlayer/Expertflyer), and though they talk to each other it doesn't mean that at agent can be sure to get a seat. Seats can be blocked for dozens of reasons and you can't rely on EF to have full visibility on that. EF homes in on Amadeus Seating.

What does happen at T-72 (fairly precisely) is that the reservation goes from Amadeus Seating to FLY, at that point the various blocked seats such as bassinets and First row 1s may become available with agent intervention, but it won't be before then in normal circumstances. However it sometimes take T-48 before an agent can get a seat allocated, and they may need assistance from those looking after seating in Flight Management. After T-24, when OLCI opens, normally agents can't do anything more due to the aircraft falling under Airport Control. So the best window is 48 to 26 hours before departure. It is also the case that with the best will in the world an agent can't unblock a seat for some reason, even to a Prem.
That's clear, thanks for the explanation. As I say, its not a big deal and I wasn't complaining. It was more out of curiosity to understand where my understanding was failing, and now I know

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.