FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unable to select 1K on 747 at T-72
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:47 am
s1362083

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, not necessarily, there are 3 systems involved here (Amadeus Seating/FLY-JFE which is an overlayer/Expertflyer), and though they talk to each other it doesn't mean that at agent can be sure to get a seat. Seats can be blocked for dozens of reasons and you can't rely on EF to have full visibility on that. EF homes in on Amadeus Seating.

What does happen at T-72 (fairly precisely) is that the reservation goes from Amadeus Seating to FLY, at that point the various blocked seats such as bassinets and First row 1s may become available with agent intervention, but it won't be before then in normal circumstances. However it sometimes take T-48 before an agent can get a seat allocated, and they may need assistance from those looking after seating in Flight Management. After T-24, when OLCI opens, normally agents can't do anything more due to the aircraft falling under Airport Control. So the best window is 48 to 26 hours before departure. It is also the case that with the best will in the world an agent can't unblock a seat for some reason, even to a Prem.
That's clear, thanks for the explanation. As I say, its not a big deal and I wasn't complaining. It was more out of curiosity to understand where my understanding was failing, and now I know