Wiki Posts
Search

No nuts please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
Out of interest, one for the cabin crew who frequent this forum, how many epipens are carried on an aircraft medical kit?
Yikes, I only left 2.5 years ago... And feel like I have forgotten already!

If I remember correctly, it is 1 x EpiPen in the kit, and also adrenalin separately which could then be administered by a HCP, or, at the direction of a doctor on the ground in extreme cases.

Might have changed or my knowledge may have completely failed me since leaving...
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by milkyway88
Unless you stab it into someone's eye, nothing can do wrong with epipen.

The dose in a epipen is only just over half the dose that would be given in A&E or an ambulance.

Worse case is that you give it someone not having an anaphylactic reaction, it which case they might feel a bit funny but won't do any harm.
Indeed it's the only medical 'procedure' the police are allowed to do simply because it's quite hard to do damage with it.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
We had this on a flight back from CPT recently. I did hear one lady across the cabin asking whether this would also apply in F in a rather DYKWIA way, it did and the crew served up crisps instead of nuts, pinched, i assume, from the club kitchen. Didn't make any difference to me, but I've had this quite a few times and it's amazing the groans and moans that go on if they make this kind of announcement on a short haul holiday flight.
Franky16 and Coffeemadman like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
Is there any truth in the rumour that the supplier of the CE almonds is none other than Senor Cruz's brother in law?
I can supply him with bags full of unshelled almonds for nothing. We have lots of almond trees in the garden courtesy of mother in law who thought it would be a 'good idea'. Turned out they sold her the hard shell variety instead of the soft shell she asked for with the result you need a steamroller to crack the ruddy things open.
Not a great fan of nuts so I would also support BA if they stopped serving them for some other savoury snack instead. Especially if there is an increase in such incidents.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sounds like the incorrect procedure was carried out on that flight, you wouldn’t make an announcement in First if you had someone with a nut allergy, you would inform customers personally, I’m guessing the customer was in another cabin and customers could have consumed nuts.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

If I remember correctly, it is 1 x EpiPen in the kit, and also adrenalin separately which could then be administered by a HCP, or, at the direction of a doctor on the ground in extreme cases.

Might have changed or my knowledge may have completely failed me since leaving...
Just found the BA medic sheet [thought it might be useful to read as a HCP who is a frequent(ish) BA flyer] and they only carry epipen one plus 2 x 1:1000 Adrenaline, which is 4 doses.

The odd one was the Chlorpheniramine (an anti-histamine), it seems to be an strange presentation (for emergency use) of 0.5mg/ml which means you'd have to give 20ml to get the normal emergency dose of 10mg. This is quite a big amount to give into muscle tissue (not an issue if you have someone to cannulate (which can't be guaranteed, even with a HCP on board). Given this would be the effect treatment for most reactions, it just seems an odd choice, that could increase the chance of diversion.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

Correct! ^
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Had the same yesterday on BA1386. They said all BoB nut products were not available and the crew checked through my KSML ingredient list to make sure it had no nuts.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
My cousin and his children are highly allergic to nuts. He collapsed on a stag do and people thought he was just drunk. Lucky there was an off duty paramedic enjoying a few pints in the same bar who realised something was clearly not right, searched my cousin's pocket for an epipen and saved his life.

Therefore, giving up eating nuts on a flight if it stops someone dying is not much to ask. The problem is much worse than some people can imagine. Agree with others, there should be an alternative, i.e. pretzels, dried fruits etc.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
On my flight down from Glasgow on Friday they made an announcement that a passenger had a severe allergy to bananas and asked people to not eat them and keep them in their bag.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
On CityFlyer we don’t serve nuts (Club Europe and Greek Islands Euro Traveller get pretzels) and none of the meals contain nut ingredients. People with a nut allergy are invited to pre-board and wipe down their seat area with sanitising wipes.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cosmo74
We had this on a flight back from CPT recently. I did hear one lady across the cabin asking whether this would also apply in F in a rather DYKWIA way, it did and the crew served up crisps instead of nuts, pinched, i assume, from the club kitchen. Didn't make any difference to me, but I've had this quite a few times and it's amazing the groans and moans that go on if they make this kind of announcement on a short haul holiday flight.
At some point, it just seems there are passengers who look forward to flying as a chance to pi$$ and moan about any little thing.
"Look at that guy! He wore boots - boots! - that take FOREVER to unlace at Security.
[delayed for a total of 20 seconds in reality]
OMG! Can you believe that dude is lining up twenty minutes before boarding!
[is compensating for sitting for the next four hours]
And now, some snotnose with bad genes means I can't have a handful of nuts on board!
[he could die? Don't care, want my nuts! Kick him off if he's sick! I! WANT! MY! NUTS!]
And then they end with:
"Man, traveling really sucks!"
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
ls17031 and ClubflyerLondon like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
That is not why people in Japan wear surgical masks. In many Asian countries, if someone wakes up with a cough or a sore throat and thinks they may have a cold coming on (or similar) they wear a mask so they don't pass on anything. Not for personal protection. I find this very polite and I wish more people in Europe would do the same.
The idea is fine in principle but the problem is that it does not really work. The cold virus, for example, is many times smaller than the mesh of a mask and can pass through the mask easily.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
From a strictly self-interest standpoint if the airlines didn't have a procedure and a policy then you might run the risk of a medical diversion which could foul up your plans. It would be preferable to go without nuts for a few hours than miss a connection or important meeting.
kimberlyrose and fluffymitten like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.