FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No nuts please! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1964461-no-nuts-please.html)

fluffymitten Apr 8, 2019 6:52 am

No nuts please!

Doing a TP run LHR-EDI on BA1444 (departing imminently!) and the CC have just announced that, due to a passenger with a nut allergy, no nuts will be served on board and could all passengers refrain from eating any nut products.

First time I've heard this announcement but I'm sure it's quite common. The allergy must be quite severe for the recycled air to cause a risk with the particles floating about.

The _Banking_Scot Apr 8, 2019 6:55 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten (Post 30977613)
Doing a TP run LHR-EDI on BA1444 (departing imminently!) and the CC have just announced that, due to a passenger with a nut allergy, no nuts will be served on board and could all passengers refrain from eating any nut products.

First time I've heard this announcement but I'm sure it's quite common. The allergy must be quite severe for the recycled air to cause a risk with the particles floating about.

Hi,

I have heard that recently too ( EDI-LHR) and seems to be more common these days ( due to reports on the web- no idea on the true picture)

Regards

TBS

Can I help you Apr 8, 2019 7:03 am

It’s getting more common, I have made this announcement twice in the last 6 weeks.

ajeleonard Apr 8, 2019 7:04 am

I have sympathy for allergy sufferers when going into an environment they can't control, or escape from. You can't blame them if they are a little more cautious than strictly necessary

VSLover Apr 8, 2019 7:10 am

there have been some 'news' cycles in the US about a real housewife of nyc who almost had an AA flight land or diverted or something due to her serious fish allergy (she has been hospitalized for this before--and yes, i watch too much of this show.

so the point is, as a result of her ordeal, and social media platform, i can easily see how airborne allergens have become more talked about recently on planes than before.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/p...nd/2479223002/

BingBongBoy Apr 8, 2019 7:19 am

Its a very difficult situation for many companies in many sectors...

I can completely see, and for obvious very good reason, the concern of the allergy sufferers with things like this, but how do companies such as an airline, or a restaurant, shop or hotel manage something like this?

Yes, of course, BA can not serve nuts on that flight, as an example, and ask fellow passengers not to consume them, but they have no legal control over another passenger eating nuts onboard. They have no way of knowing if the passenger 2 or 3 flights before consumed copious amounts of nuts in the seat in which that passenger with the allergy is now sat in or next to... Same in a restaurant or shop, or hotel. If travel of allergens can cause that severe a reaction, be they through contact or airborne... Then where does the level or risk and accountability stop?

corporate-wage-slave Apr 8, 2019 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30977644)
It’s getting more common, I have made this announcement twice in the last 6 weeks.

Yes, I have had something like one such announcement a year for the first 2 decades of my flying life, now it's running at once a month (all short haul thankfully) so far.

It's good to hear whether it is nuts or peanuts that are being restricted since they are two different things, peanuts being legumes/vegetables. Usually the wording says something like "we have a customer on board with a severe peanut / nut allergy, so we would ask passengers to refrain for eating any peanut / nut products during this flight. We will not the selling nut items from our M&S On Board service".

I was on a LHR-NCL service affected, and there were a large number of executives from Japan heading presumably to the Nissan factory in Sunderland. I'm not entirely sure they understood the message.

Can I help you Apr 8, 2019 7:35 am

On aircraft with curtain cabin dividers we would request everyone on the aircraft from eating peanuts or nut products, on aircraft with fixed dividers we only make the announcement in the cabin the customer is seated in.

Dicksbits Apr 8, 2019 7:35 am

I heard it to AND from LEI ex LHR last September, and again on the LEI - LGW route on Saturday. The crew were very specific about the nuts on Saturday: No Brazil nuts to be consumed. Complimentary nuts were handed out with the drinks service in Club as usual.

scottishpoet Apr 8, 2019 7:41 am

I frequently hear this on LHR - KRK flights.

On the last flight I filled in a feedback for suggesting that they consider stocking pretzels as substitute for the nuts in CE in such circumstances.

I don't expect them to based on one such comment, but if enough of us write maybe something will change.

sweetsleep Apr 8, 2019 8:26 am

Almonds could be a solution as they are considered a "fruit" and not a nut-according to a friend who has lots of nut allergies but can safely eat almonds and drink almond milk.

LTN Phobia Apr 8, 2019 8:36 am

Originally Posted by sweetsleep (Post 30977874)
Almonds could be a solution as they are considered a "fruit" and not a nut-according to a friend who has lots of nut allergies but can safely eat almonds and drink almond milk.

Almonds are what's served as "nuts" in Club Europe...

LCY8737 Apr 8, 2019 8:53 am

Since BA started serving the unsalted almonds in the Spanish packaging, I am not bothered one bit. Nothing lost.

Coffeemadman Apr 8, 2019 8:59 am

It surprises me they serve nuts still. Surely just go with pretzels and you're not in this situation?

TheOldMan Apr 8, 2019 9:08 am

Perhaps this is a ploy by BA to save nuts ?