Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No nuts please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
> But if you have eaten nuts, walk past a chair of a nut allergy sufferer and accidentally touch the chair leaving nut protein particles behind then it certainly is a problem! <
But kipper's problem comes from ingesting nuts, doesn't it?
Wiping his hands before eating on the plane should minimise the risk, I expect.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mikem004
> But if you have eaten nuts, walk past a chair of a nut allergy sufferer and accidentally touch the chair leaving nut protein particles behind then it certainly is a problem! <
But kipper's problem comes from ingesting nuts, doesn't it?
Wiping his hands before eating on the plane should minimise the risk, I expect.
Wiping my hands before eating on a plane? Say you eat nuts, touch the armrest, leave nut particles. I get up before a meal is served, wash my hands, then sit down again, but in sitting down, I touch the armrest. I then eat my meal, and in the process, consume the nut particles that you left on my armrest. Problem.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:03 am

> Wiping my hands before eating on a plane? <
Wet wipes. Sometimes these are supplied with the meal.
Some airlines even supply wet towels.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:56 am

> Wiping my hands before eating on a plane? <
Wet wipes. Sometimes these are supplied with the meal.
Some airlines even supply wet towels.
I don't want to trust my life on little moist disposable towelettes.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

Originally Posted by kipper
Wiping my hands before eating on a plane? Say you eat nuts, touch the armrest, leave nut particles. I get up before a meal is served, wash my hands, then sit down again, but in sitting down, I touch the armrest. I then eat my meal, and in the process, consume the nut particles that you left on my armrest. Problem.
Granted you don’t want to take the risk of this happening while you are on a plane and far from medical help, can I ask how much you worry about this incident happening in other walks of life, such as a restaurant or a bus? Because if it’s as you describe, your life must be practically unliveable. Or are we talking ourselves into increasingly abstract scenarios just because it’s a plane?

How about even just someone in your seat on the flight before you, on a short turnaround trip, having eaten nuts, rather than someone 10 rows back on the same one? If you don’t want to entrust your life to a moist towelette, do you trust BA seat cleaning more (and what do you use to wipe down surfaces at your seat?)

Being 30,000 ft up obviously affects the consequences if something does happen, but I’m not clear that something like this could, or ever does, realistically happen at all by the sort of casual hand-to-surface-to-hand contact described (as opposed to being given a contaminated meal), even on the ground. But I may be missing something.

And if it is a risk, then presumably it would make sense for you to have a strict no-touch rule for your own food in any public place (cutlery or chopsticks rather than sandwiches and handheld snacks), whether flying or not. Otherwise you can’t even touch a stair bannister in a restaurant on the way back to your table from the loo.

And yes I know you can get an ambulance in an instant on the ground. Have you ever had to, due to someone else’s meal in the same room or a passing nut-eater touching your chair?

Last edited by GCab; Apr 12, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:51 am

To be fair, the earlier example of cabin crew picking up a nut packet during clearing and then handing out food to an allergy sufferer might be a better example than someone’s hand brushing a seat.

But a better answer to this might be the Wagamama approach and have the CSD be solely responsible so that they can supervise meal choice and look after their own hand hygiene.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:09 pm

Surely the risks from a wrongly-labelled meal are *very much* greater than the risk from exposure to nut remnants left by a third party.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:24 pm

Not nuts but...

I've a severe allergy to Salmon and ahead of a trip in first next Friday, whats the process for me to inform BA of this?

Its simple for me to just not eat salmon, but i worry about cross contamination if i then spend 13 hours in a tube
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by GCab

Granted you don’t want to take the risk of this happening while you are on a plane and far from medical help, can I ask how much you worry about this incident happening in other walks of life, such as a restaurant or a bus? Because if it’s as you describe, your life must be practically unliveable. Or are we talking ourselves into increasingly abstract scenarios just because it’s a plane?

How about even just someone in your seat on the flight before you, on a short turnaround trip, having eaten nuts, rather than someone 10 rows back on the same one? If you don’t want to entrust your life to a moist towelette, do you trust BA seat cleaning more (and what do you use to wipe down surfaces at your seat?)

Being 30,000 ft up obviously affects the consequences if something does happen, but I’m not clear that something like this could, or ever does, realistically happen at all by the sort of casual hand-to-surface-to-hand contact described (as opposed to being given a contaminated meal), even on the ground. But I may be missing something.

And if it is a risk, then presumably it would make sense for you to have a strict no-touch rule for your own food in any public place (cutlery or chopsticks rather than sandwiches and handheld snacks), whether flying or not. Otherwise you can’t even touch a stair bannister in a restaurant on the way back to your table from the loo.

And yes I know you can get an ambulance in an instant on the ground. Have you ever had to, due to someone else’s meal in the same room or a passing nut-eater touching your chair?
I don't worry about it much on the ground, because I can get medical attention very quickly if necessary. I do inform restaurants of allergies, and try to ensure they take it seriously.

I've not needed an ambulance due to someone else's meal, although I have had an allergic reaction when restaurants didn't take my allergy seriously. But, again, if I need an ambulance due to a restaurant, even if it is someone else's meal, I can get one quickly.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by patsharp
Not nuts but...

I've a severe allergy to Salmon and ahead of a trip in first next Friday, whats the process for me to inform BA of this?

Its simple for me to just not eat salmon, but i worry about cross contamination if i then spend 13 hours in a tube
What are the flight details please and I will check the menu?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:46 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the menu for BA285 LHR-SFO next Friday and BA286 SFO-LHR on 3rd May? WT both ways.

kipper, my partner has the same issue you do, severe nausea from a hint of a smell of almonds/peanuts/hazelnuts etc, with vomiting if a hint of nut passes her mouth. Thankfully (or not), she hasn't had anaphylaxis reactions, but that means we cant get an Epi-Pen. I'm dreading the day someone screws up and she has anaphylaxis, last place I want that to happen is in a tube 40,000 feet up.

Needless to say, when I phoned BA after booking, I was expecting a bit more than "oh, just tell the cabin crew when you board". I was expecting something more along the lines of "okay, we'll see if we can do anything to help, like try and take nuts off the menu for that flight, considering it's in 9 months time!" Guess we'll see what happens, but if an announcement is made and someone tries to eat nuts, I'll lose it if they do.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
sharplea, other than pine nuts in the pesto sauce ex LHR we do not serve any nuts on your flight in the World Traveller cabin, ask to preboarded so that you can wipe around your seat area.
When you board tell the crew and they will make an announcement to customers in your cabin asking them to refrain for eating and nut based products that they may have brought onboard.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:47 pm

Related to this, my wife had the Kosher meal on the BA flight we took last week.

The BA staff announced that they wouldn't be serving nuts, and then hovered over my wife as she opened the seal on her Kosher meal and took away the (not particularly well sealed) bowl of nuts.

Made for an interesting experience if nothing else.

Edit - Oh, and apparently the person with the allergy was in world traveller, not business... so it's not always just done in a single cabin.

Edit 2 - On a recent AA flight a passenger went to town on a stack of PB sandwiches from the second he sat down in row 1 of the flight. The smell of peanuts was overpowering, so god help if anyone with an allergy had been anywhere near them.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: QF WP
Surely the risks from a wrongly-labelled meal are *very much* greater than the risk from exposure to nut remnants left by a third party.
was on a qantas flight yesterday where either the wrong meals or the wrong load sheet for the meals was supplied- nothing matched what was supposed to be on the trolley and of course the meals were just labelled with coloured foil rather than ingredients so I can definitely see this happening!
mikem004 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I don't worry about it much on the ground, because I can get medical attention very quickly if necessary. I do inform restaurants of allergies, and try to ensure they take it seriously.

I've not needed an ambulance due to someone else's meal, although I have had an allergic reaction when restaurants didn't take my allergy seriously. But, again, if I need an ambulance due to a restaurant, even if it is someone else's meal, I can get one quickly.
I’m afraid this isn’t making much sense. You never react to dropped crumbs and casual contact in normal life and see no need to take precautions about what gets on your hands (because, essentially, it’s a scenario that never happens), but as soon as you get on a plane it’s a big worry because if it DID happen (even though it never does) then it would be really bad?

This seems like mixing up cause and effect on the one hand, and consequence on the other. I have never been accidentally stabbed in the eye with a biro by a clumsy waiter on the ground, but if it happened on a plane I’d be in big trouble. This doesn’t mean I need to be specifically worried about pens on planes - accidental eye-stabbing is still something that doesn’t actually happen.

Don’t get me wrong - taking great care over your own meal is obviously right and should be respected. But the argument for why nobody on the plane should touch a nut in case they brush your armrest (even though the previous person in your seat may easily have been stuffing himself with the things an hour previously, and you have never reacted to any such scenario at ground level let alone any altitude) is looking increasingly flakey, if you don’t mind me saying so.

The “I don’t worry because there’s always an ambulance” factor is flakey too. Ambulance response tiles vary from 7 min to 45 min even on emergency calls. This does rather suggest that the reason you have never learned to worry about your hand touching a random dropped particle from someone’s hands as they pass your seat, may be because there is nothing to worry about (on this particular, hand contact front I mean)

Last edited by GCab; Apr 12, 2019 at 6:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.