Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
Back to the original topic... I suspect a lot of products in amenity kits are wasted. Why not have an amenity trolley and let passengers select that they like? Less waste for sure.
I would think that an excellent idea.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
It would be interesting to hear from someone who this does apply to and to hear what they actually would like. So far the thread seems to only have comments claiming to be offended or not offended on behalf of the people who we are actually discussing.
Knowing two trans people I can safely say that the contents of airline amenity kits are way. way, way down their lists of concerns in life.

It pales into insignificance compared to the abuse - physical, verbal, mental - and discrimination they face day in day out.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by LCY8737

I think your post is deeply insensitive. I can't begin to imagine what life must be like for a person who doesn't fit into the usual gender boxes.

Should airlines make business decisions that make no economic sense because of them? Certainly not. Should each of us show a little understanding and compassion - I bloody well hope so.
People need to stop being offended by EVERYTHING and expecting everyone and every corporation to walk on eggshells and cater to every need. It's gotten way out of hand. Grow up.
VSLover and frandrake like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
People need to stop being offended by EVERYTHING and expecting everyone and every corporation to walk on eggshells and cater to every need. It's gotten way out of hand. Grow up.
exactly. as i noted on the new first thread, i dont have time to be offended by this nor much else. yes the lip balm and shave gel were great things for me but i'm not going to be put out because the mrs bag has possibly better skin products for my 10hr flight--the damage was done before
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Well, you know, we do need to cater to minorities, whether we like it or not. It's what civilised countries do after all, apparently. I can see where you are coming from, however, it's not the way things work nowadays.
hsmall likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Next time I am booked in Club or Econ, I think I will tell BA that I self-identify as a First Class passenger. Hopefully they are woke enough to cater to my special needs.
frandrake likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Next time I am booked in Club or Econ, I think I will tell BA that I self-identify as a First Class passenger. Hopefully they are woke enough to cater to my special needs.
I think that's kind of like when I'm in Aldi and I pull out my M&S bag-for-life...
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by Magic01273
I think that's kind of like when I'm in Aldi and I pull out my M&S bag-for-life...
When I am in Marks, I take out my Aldi bag
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Knowing two trans people I can safely say that the contents of airline amenity kits are way. way, way down their lists of concerns in life.

It pales into insignificance compared to the abuse - physical, verbal, mental - and discrimination they face day in day out.
I know plenty and of course that is right. However the response to the proposal also says something.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:28 am

deleted

Last edited by hsmall; Apr 2, 2019 at 1:34 am Reason: What's the point of combatting rudeness?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I don't think anybody is offended. It is about being considerate to others and respecting them. In my days (a little old fashioned) that was considered "good manners" - though I appreciate that these days people don't do that anymore.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) ✈✈✈, Accor (Silver), IHG (Platinum), Cunard (Diamond)
Perhaps in the future, BA could facilitate a choice under 'manage my booking' whether you would like an amenity kit and have a list of contents you could choose from, including selecting the bag. This could then be picked by robot (like the pharmacy robots in hospitals). It could set BA apart from the competition and reduce waste. For those who want to save the planet (although not the real enthusiasts - or they wouldn't be flying), they could choose an environmentally friendly bag etc.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gary999
Perhaps in the future, BA could facilitate a choice under 'manage my booking' whether you would like an amenity kit and have a list of contents you could choose from, including selecting the bag. This could then be picked by robot (like the pharmacy robots in hospitals). It could set BA apart from the competition and reduce waste. For those who want to save the planet (although not the real enthusiasts - or they wouldn't be flying), they could choose an environmentally friendly bag etc.
It's a nice idea, but would love to see BA IT deal with that.

Good morning Mr Horatio, and welcome to your flight. Now let me see...I have here your headphones, 76 lip balms and one ear plug.
VSLover, Jagboi, SaraJH and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
Back to the original topic... I suspect a lot of products in amenity kits are wasted. Why not have an amenity trolley and let passengers select that they like?
I'd really like that. I particularly liked the lip balms, but that and earplugs are about the only things I use from the amenity kit. I'd be happy to leave the rest for others and take more lip balms.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
I disagree with the crusade against amenity kits. I always use at least 50% of what's in it and the rest is brought home, where it gets used over time. Also, I think it is a nice touch in a premium cabin to be welcomed with a personal amenity kit. All conversations reg environment impact etc. are pretty much nullified by the obvious consideration that if one is so concerned about the environment would probably fly economy, which has a more environmentally-friendly density.

As per unisex amenity kits I agree, last think airlines need is yet another lawsuit because one felt "offended" as the poor cabin crew handed them the "wrong" kit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.