Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by offtothehills
I guess so many brands nowadays, especially the more upmarket ones, don't target any gender specifically. And this works, the packaging works, and so it should be easy to adapt the kits. Personally, I prefer to have creams etc with a bold, non gender obvious bias on the label.
You choose what you want, 95% of passengers in F want those M/F versions by my reckoning. If the airline does not cater for your needs you are welcome to take your business elsewhere (I hear Brunei is particularly welcoming these days) - that's what we always say on this forum when passenger is not happy about the offering.

But in all seriousness, if the creams and what not are all the same and you just prefer creams to not have gender-based writing on them, that is just a little petty. I love to be able to take the female kit for my fiancee and it's obvious I chose one for her (lady) and not the male version. If i bring home some generic gender neutral cream she wont be nearly as excited and won't know the sacrifice I made by choosing the ladies' version
zafiragirl, SaraJH and FinnRolo like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:05 pm

This is getting so sad. The downfall of the world as we attempt to be politically correct on everything.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Sheesh, it really wont be long before some guy with one leg shows up and demands that he be given the online option of having just one sock in his amenity kit because it will hurt his feelings to be offered two.

Or worse, someone voicing it from a position of bipedal security on behalf of the uni-legged friends.
offtothehills and hiljil like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:13 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Is there a reason why those who choose not to identify as either male or female could not just ask for whichever amenity kit is likely to suit their requirements for the flight?
Oh dear, you said choose...

It misses an opportunity to be singled out and made to feel special, different... post a selfie and a tweet about how awesome it is to be on a plane as forward thinking and woke as they are.

Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Advantage
You shouldn't need much room really - the tubes etc are so small that I find they slip in wherever there's a teeny space Have a good trip - perhaps you are getting "New First"? It would be good to hear how it went.
Thank you

I will report if I have the New First or not and anything new to add.

I'm afraid I'm already filled to the gills with liquid. I have already exceeded the "should fit comfortably" suggestion
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You choose what you want, 95% of passengers in F want those M/F versions by my reckoning. If the airline does not cater for your needs you are welcome to take your business elsewhere (I hear Brunei is particularly welcoming these days) - that's what we always say on this forum when passenger is not happy about the offering.

But in all seriousness, if the creams and what not are all the same and you just prefer creams to not have gender-based writing on them, that is just a little petty. I love to be able to take the female kit for my fiancee and it's obvious I chose one for her (lady) and not the male version. If i bring home some generic gender neutral cream she wont be nearly as excited and won't know the sacrifice I made by choosing the ladies' version
They do cater for my needs as said before. It's about others who's needs/wishes my not be as some assume. And the reference to Brunei is pretty low.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Centurion
This is getting so sad. The downfall of the world as we attempt to be politically correct on everything.
I thought I was the only one thinking this. Should BA start loading kitty litter for people who self-identify as cats?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by hsmall
A reminder that an increasing number of passengers in the future (and many now) will identify as neither male nor female.
For heavens sake, it's not like they would be making a declaration of gender identification for the census bureau! Just ask for a male or female bag, as needed/wanted - the reasons for your choice are your your own and need not be stated. I didn't even know they had two types of bags, and will be requesting the female bag in the future, as I always try to give them away anyway.
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Well, looking at all the different replies here, and thank you all for your input, it looks like folks are OK with their offerings in general. Perhaps I was being over analytical re sensitivities of others. It was just a thought. I'd still like to see it being offered though.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I thought I was the only one thinking this. Should BA start loading kitty litter for people who self-identify as cats?
I think your post is deeply insensitive. I can't begin to imagine what life must be like for a person who doesn't fit into the usual gender boxes.

Should airlines make business decisions that make no economic sense because of them? Certainly not. Should each of us show a little understanding and compassion - I bloody well hope so.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I think your post is deeply insensitive. I can't begin to imagine what life must be like for a person who doesn't fit into the usual gender boxes.

Should airlines make business decisions that make no economic sense because of them? Certainly not. Should each of us show a little understanding and compassion - I bloody well hope so.
It would be interesting to hear from someone who this does apply to and to hear what they actually would like. So far the thread seems to only have comments claiming to be offended or not offended on behalf of the people who we are actually discussing.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
It would be interesting to hear from someone who this does apply to and to hear what they actually would like. So far the thread seems to only have comments claiming to be offended or not offended on behalf of the people who we are actually discussing.
Yes, that is what I have been hoping for, possibly people just don't want to expose themselves to ridicule? Understandable though.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Yes, that is what I have been hoping for, possibly people just don't want to expose themselves to ridicule? Understandable though.
indeed. granted references to Brunei and cats I am really not surprised they would keep themselves to themselves. but please do be aware that such people exist.
flygirl68 and chris87 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by StingWest
For heavens sake, it's not like they would be making a declaration of gender identification for the census bureau! Just ask for a male or female bag, as needed/wanted - the reasons for your choice are your your own and need not be stated. I didn't even know they had two types of bags, and will be requesting the female bag in the future, as I always try to give them away anyway.
I wonder if you have actually met any non-binary person.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Back to the original topic... I suspect a lot of products in amenity kits are wasted. Why not have an amenity trolley and let passengers select that they like? Less waste for sure.
offtothehills likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.