Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HBO pax break the overhead locker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cauchy
Easy solution: increase the size limit, but make everyone who wants it pay for it (regardless of status). Who can complain then?
There's a clue in the question. I've added a hint
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Ba is not unique here. I've just done a few domestics in the USA on AA and all flights seemed to struggle. Moreover the crew were generally disinterested in assisting pax.
I think BA is generally better than AA at making more efficient use out of the overhead bins. It's very rare that I don't board AA as Group 2 and hence have no issues, but on the odd occasion I do board last (and Sunday was one of the those days) you're often told "There's no room left. We need to check your bag" and yet when you get on board you either find lots of room or else with a bit of shuffling / turning bags you can fit another carry on (or two, in our case) in the overhead bins.

Then there's the flip side where AA can be overly keen at the gate. When flying LAS - LAX a week past Sunday my g/f was harangued by the GA because she had not only a suitcase but also a small backpack and a very small handbag. I had one bag. The handbag would have fitted inside her backpack, or else I could have taken one of her bags. Instead she got an earful from the GA. The same GA then came on board at the end of the boarding process and starting yelling at passengers who couldn't get their bags into the bins, telling them they needed to be checked. There were a number of seated passengers who narrowly missed being clobbered by carry-ons as she was throwing them around the cabin. Had she been a bit more diligent about policing the larger bags, especially with the later groups, there wouldn't have been an issue with everyone then scrambling to avoid a delayed push-back.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The huge bags people take into the cabin are the main problem. I don’t think I’ve ever seen bag size restrictions being enforced on a BA plane. And the second “laptop bag” is a joke too, just because your laptop is in said bag, doesn’t make it a laptop bag. I’ve seen people with rucksacks bigger than their cases (which already looked too big).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
There is also a massive lack of empathy from some who have a sense of entitlement. Really, on very busy flights, the overhead bin should be for larger bags. But you still see people taking up the space with their coat and a small bag just because they think its their right. If there was a greater sense of collective goodwill (and there are many reasons why people chose not to check a bag), then I suspect there would be less pain.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Deltus
To be fair, if you are taking two pieces of hand luggage, the "personal item" should go under the seat in front of you. If you don't want something by your feet for a 12 hour flight, don't take two bags into the cabin.
There needs to be an exception to your rule for people in bulkhead seats, etc.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
There have been, repeatedly, suggestions in this parish to tag carry on bags as "permitted overhead", rather than the current situation of tagging small bags as "not permitted overhead". The current tagging of "not permitted overhead" is both vulnerable to malfeasance by removal of the tag and often nonsensical when bulkhead and exit row customers' small bags are still given such a tag.

In addition, random loose items (in particular coats) should not be permitted in overhead bins until all "permitted overhead" baggage has been stowed (except at exit and bulkhead rows).

This obviously requires crew policing, but the whole situation requires crew policing already and checking for anything not tagged "permitted overhead" is easier than trying to sort the bin contents more exactly and reunite the coat, etc, with the owner so the last larger bag can fit into the bin.

The number of "permitted overhead" tags can also be limited, to one per passenger and by total count - thereby implementing what Easyjet and Ryanair already do, of preventing more large bags being taken into the cabin than will fit into the bins.

When all larger bags have been placed overhead, then coats, small bags, etc, can be added if space remains.

I still think passengers who break safety critical parts of the aircraft should be considered for offloading if they were reckless.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How do you determine reckless versus the bin having been broken by some previous passenger or even crew?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:18 am

I do wonder how much weight the overhead lockers can take. They're rated for anything from ~20kg all the way up to 50kg+ in some aircraft but when you see people stuffing their worldly belongings in there i wonder how much above that they can really withstand.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BA, LH
Originally Posted by ukgooner
There is also a massive lack of empathy from some who have a sense of entitlement. Really, on very busy flights, the overhead bin should be for larger bags. But you still see people taking up the space with their coat and a small bag just because they think its their right. If there was a greater sense of collective goodwill (and there are many reasons why people chose not to check a bag), then I suspect there would be less pain.
But that creates perverse incentives where people are encouraged to take larger bags as carry on, so they'll be allowed to stow them in the overhead bins. I tend to travel with a daypack as carry on. I could potentially fit it under the seat in front, but then I'd be losing much needed legroom. Why should my comfort take a hit to leave space for large roller cases, thus ironically allowing their owners more legroom than I have?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
A low cost airline I flew recently had a simple but effective policy. Prior to boarding, they announced that only the first xx bags for overhead lockers would be allowed onto the aircraft and that others from that number onwards would be put into the hold. Clear process and ensured status passengers were not inconvenienced because they boarded first. Not sure what would have happened for a priority late boarder, though.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Had so much space on CX in J. I kept my carry on down to a handbag (large but it folded up small) and a rucksack and barely filled a quarter of the space available. Despite this, I felt bad when I picked up some gin in SYD and so took on three bags!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:17 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I'm surprised that someone hasn't yet posted "Overhead Locker Door missing on my BCN-LHR"!!!
Coathanger and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
To be fair, if you are taking two pieces of hand luggage, the "personal item" should go under the seat in front of you. If you don't want something by your feet for a 12 hour flight, don't take two bags into the cabin.
Have you seen the space under the seat with multimedia box on A380? No chance to put there anything that's size of the laptop. I always put my camera bag under the seat on short haul.

Originally Posted by dddc
This is pretty common on all A380s AFAIK where the last few rows of lockers on the upper deck are much smaller than the rest. I had found out about this via research and was travelling with a small wheelie the approved 115cm combined length and got on board as soon as I could to claim a bit of the larger lockers in the rows in front. For me it was on QF and this used to be their premium economy section until they changed it to economy and moved PE forward into the cabin. I know there are people who say that they always board at the last possible moment, but this is why I like to board as soon as I can so I can get my bag above me or as close to me as possible. In particular for long haul flights where I might want something from the bag, this is one of the reasons I'd do it.
I wasn't aware of it, otherwise I would be camping by the gate instead of enjoying lounge visit. Didn't have time to do research, it was "emergency" ticket to get back home.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Most legacy airlines are GUILTY of allowing pax to bring in over sized carry ons and multiple cases. They all have PUBLISHED rules but wink at them. They should take a lessons from the LCCs who have a sizer at the gate, does not fit, ? You pay ! (a moneymaker at that).. Yes there will be an uproar especially from the DYKWIAs but over time all will learn.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Row9
A low cost airline I flew recently had a simple but effective policy. Prior to boarding, they announced that only the first xx bags for overhead lockers would be allowed onto the aircraft and that others from that number onwards would be put into the hold. Clear process and ensured status passengers were not inconvenienced because they boarded first. Not sure what would have happened for a priority late boarder, though.
Exactly.

FR say there is space for 90 trolley bags on their 738s (but 189 (I think)) pax.

So rather than the poster above suggesting giving 1 tag per passenger for the overhead bins, it should be 1 bag for the first X passengers (an A320 is smaller than a 738 I think) to board. Everyone else checks.

I would prefer to fly with an airline that is honest and up front about what can physically be fitted in tha cabin. BA not so recently was advertising 2 cabin bags as a benefit on short haul but clearly this isn’t possible for >50% of passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.