Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HBO pax break the overhead locker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
The issue also happens on long haul. On my last A380 flight I didn't show up at the start od the boarding and when I borded somewhere in the middle, there was no space at the back on upper deck. I mean, there was space, but only for small bags, as lockers as so small that even my camera bag wasn't fitting in it. All bigger lockers already taken. My both pieces of hand luggage had to travel 2 cabins away from me. I will remember not to book economy on A380. There was also some argument in other part of the plane, when cabin crew was telling passenger that she has to keep her bag under the seat because someone else's bigger bag has to be put in the locker. Obviously no one wants to keep anything under the seat in front of you on 12h flight, hence the argument.
I said this in another thread but this comes from the fact that BA and all the other airlines charge for the 2nd checked bag in economy long haul.... if they just made this free, people like myself wouldnt have to fill my *within limits* checked bag to make sure that i dont have to pay an extra £100 to get the additional american sweets and coffee back to london (mine contains medication mostly but this is used as example).

If they didnt try and fleece economy passengers like LCCs do, they wouldnt have the same problem that economy passengers do.

Ryanair is charging around half the price of a ticket to the same country, and in some cases, its more convenient an airport. That is how they can charge for the priority 2 bags. Ryanair also allow duty free bags on top of the carry on bags - BA dont. And finally, more ryanair fights dont last longer than an hour.

People that complain about these issues are the same people that call people like me "Gate lice" because i want to get on the plane first to ensure that my medication is by my head.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Or BA could just police the existing hand baggage rules better - or even police it at all.
dcmike, RGS5526, T8191 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
*A have this right in T2 where the economy lines are policed very actively and rollers are very often taken away and it doesn't result in the owner of the bag getting priority boarding either, they wait for their zone to be called as normal. Business and *G get to board without hindrance.

Managing the amount of hand luggage can be done and is done by many others to a point where you have to conclude that BA simply do not want to do this. They may change their minds after a 23kg roller lands on someone's head.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:55 am

CC actively managing the boarding process helps, as observed on a flight back from GVA earlier this week. The CC insisted that anyone with a second bag (ie, laptop bag) put it under their seat, whether it had the yellow tag affixed or not. I was impressed until I glanced down the cabin to see other CC ignoring the tagged bags in lockers.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
My both pieces of hand luggage had to travel 2 cabins away from me. I will remember not to book economy on A380.
To be fair, if you are taking two pieces of hand luggage, the "personal item" should go under the seat in front of you. If you don't want something by your feet for a 12 hour flight, don't take two bags into the cabin.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:04 am

It was literally about a decade ago that we, as economy and with status, could fly on any airline transatlantic, pay less and check in two bags in the hold.

There were never the same problems with hold luggage that there are now.

The gate agents cant win, because more often than not, i see the group 1-3 with the biggest bags. People down the back generally are people like me that know their limits, There are a few chancers, yes, but at the end of the day, the huge bags usually see are people up front because they never care to check. Then, get annoyed when the GAs question their bags. I have seen this happen many times.

The problem is the desifying of the planes at the back and the fact that there isnt adequate space for all the bags.

HBO should be eliminated and the lower cost flights should remain because they are checking in a ton of bags anyway?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
It was literally about a decade ago that we, as economy and with status, could fly on any airline transatlantic, pay less and check in two bags in the hold.
That greatly depends on your flying patterns. For the lowest prices, I do not think that you would be correct. Plus, inflation means that you'd have to add 20% to prices from a decade ago. I find that I get much better deals now than when I started flying about 8 years ago with the increased competition from Icelandair / Norwegian.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended

once I had situation then I had to tell italian guy not to put with force his bag into my bag with laptop...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:57 am

I've had to give up travelling with just a beautiful slimline leather briefcase that stands up nicely against the bulkhead of an overhead locker, taking up just three or four inches of locker width. I would get on first, slide my briefcase in and watch as people would ram their hard sided cases in without any care or attention. I didn't expect my bag to emerge scuff free- I've used this range of bags for about 20 years, with no significant damage until 2 or 3 years ago. Now I have several with deep gouges in the leather that can't be repaired. It seems now if a bag doesn't fit, the answer is to apply sufficient force that something gives to make it fit.

So now I put my briefcase inside a tough ripstop nylon bag that will withstand damage by wheels and handles, and takes up twice as much overhead space. I guess that's a result, then.
muji, Dover2Golf and watersign like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:01 am

One partial solution to the problem might be to hand out tags for "overhead acceptable" rather than "underseat required", complemented by size-checking of all claimed "overhead acceptable". And if the bag doesn't fit the sizer, then pay up or abandon it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I remember when HBO really did mean a handbag as well as a coat and your duty free. Even then there wasn't much room left for those boarding last.

Some of the carry on bags I've seen people with at the gate are huge in comparison to mine which is just within the size limit allowed.
watersign and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
This is airline catch 22, the number of threads where people are complaining about too much carry on, and the number of threads where people complain about the airlines enforcing policy so that their bag which do fit in to the overhead locker is taken away, is probably about equal.

You can blame HBO, I blame entitled frequent flyers that carry massive volumes of carry on with a blatant disregard for allowances in terms of size, weight, and number. "I know it is bigger than policy, but it fits in the overhead locker so it must be fine for me"
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can blame HBO, I blame entitled frequent flyers that carry massive volumes of carry on with a blatant disregard for allowances in terms of size, weight, and number. "I know it is bigger than policy, but it fits in the overhead locker so it must be fine for me"
My experience is the opposite - the problems seem to be caused by leisure travellers turning up late at the gate with all their holiday kit, beach bags, big floppy hats and armfuls of duty free, who get on the plane when all the lockers are already full and then don't have anywhere to store their possessions.

Of course, it could be that they are the frequent flyers you refer to, but it seems more like this is the first time they've been on an aircraft for months...
watersign likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
The issue also happens on long haul. On my last A380 flight I didn't show up at the start od the boarding and when I borded somewhere in the middle, there was no space at the back on upper deck. I mean, there was space, but only for small bags, as lockers as so small that even my camera bag wasn't fitting in it. All bigger lockers already taken. My both pieces of hand luggage had to travel 2 cabins away from me. I will remember not to book economy on A380. There was also some argument in other part of the plane, when cabin crew was telling passenger that she has to keep her bag under the seat because someone else's bigger bag has to be put in the locker. Obviously no one wants to keep anything under the seat in front of you on 12h flight, hence the argument.
This is pretty common on all A380s AFAIK where the last few rows of lockers on the upper deck are much smaller than the rest. I had found out about this via research and was travelling with a small wheelie the approved 115cm combined length and got on board as soon as I could to claim a bit of the larger lockers in the rows in front. For me it was on QF and this used to be their premium economy section until they changed it to economy and moved PE forward into the cabin. I know there are people who say that they always board at the last possible moment, but this is why I like to board as soon as I can so I can get my bag above me or as close to me as possible. In particular for long haul flights where I might want something from the bag, this is one of the reasons I'd do it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
This is airline catch 22, the number of threads where people are complaining about too much carry on, and the number of threads where people complain about the airlines enforcing policy so that their bag which do fit in to the overhead locker is taken away, is probably about equal.

Easy solution: increase the size limit, but make everyone who wants it pay for it (regardless of status). Who can complain then?
watersign likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.