Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation on new F hard product

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I agree with the OP. As someone else mentions in the other thread, if they install the new J in 4 cabin aircrafts, those of us who particularly value privacy may wonder if they might be better off in J than in F.
I’d say the current seat in an F cabin with at most 7 other pax will still feel a lot more private than a shoulder height door closed in a cabin of 56.

I guess it may make a difference with sleeping, will it even protect your laptop screen from prying eyes walking past though?
Richardc77 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Would be very happy with:
* A bigger, more luxurious version of the new J "suite" - more space, higher walls, bigger and more comfortable chair / bed, more storage space, high quality screen and IFE, "the door".
* Fewer seats in the cabin (i.e. 8).
* Bigger toilets.
* Free fast wifi.
* Ground services (e.g. limousine service, taking to gate from lounge, etc.)
DrLibra likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by pollycat
Would be very happy with:
* A bigger, more luxurious version of the new J "suite" - more space, higher walls, bigger and more comfortable chair / bed, more storage space, high quality screen and IFE, "the door".
* Fewer seats in the cabin (i.e. 8).
* Bigger toilets.
* Free fast wifi.
* Ground services (e.g. limousine service, taking to gate from lounge, etc.)
Funny how those in an F seat would consider paying 20 quid on wifi a push! You're right though it should be included, just to avoid the hassle of having to pay...

Your idea for the seat basically sounds like the 787 F seat with a door bolted on the side. I suspect this may ultimately be what they head for, with perhaps a slightly bigger footprint
bennyg2 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I’d say the current seat in an F cabin with at most 7 other pax will still feel a lot more private than a shoulder height door closed in a cabin of 56.
I guess it may make a difference with sleeping, will it even protect your laptop screen from prying eyes walking past though?
I think that the smaller cabin with only 7 seats will definitely feel a lot more exclusive, but I'm not sure about more private. In fairness, I already find CW window seats more private than with the F seat but I find other CW seats very "un-private" whilst with the new CW that will change drastically.

Of course, it does not prevent the fact that the F seats are and will remain a lot more spacious (the new J seat looks excellent but quite a bit less spacious than the Q Suite for instance) so I think that those who favour space will still prefer F.

I also personally do not mind foot boxes, so that aspect of the new J seat is not a problem for me but I know that some regular posters dislike them very much so again, the people who mind that will still choose the F seat.

So I'd say that if you stick to current F, you'd have:

F: more space, more exclusivity, no box, but
J: could feel more private and has a sleek and modern design which some people might prefer

I personally suspect that with BA having gone the "door" way for J, they will ultimately offer either doors or removable curtains a la AF for F, but that is pure speculation on my part.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that the smaller cabin with only 7 seats will definitely feel a lot more exclusive, but I'm not sure about more private. In fairness, I already find CW window seats more private than with the F seat but I find other CW seats very "un-private" whilst with the new CW that will change drastically.

Of course, it does not prevent the fact that the F seats are and will remain a lot more spacious (the new J seat looks excellent but quite a bit less spacious than the Q Suite for instance) so I think that those who favour space will still prefer F.

I also personally do not mind foot boxes, so that aspect of the new J seat is not a problem for me but I know that some regular posters dislike them very much so again, the people who mind that will still choose the F seat.

So I'd say that if you stick to current F, you'd have:

F: more space, more exclusivity, no box, but
J: could feel more private and has a sleek and modern design which some people might prefer

I personally suspect that with BA having gone the "door" way for J, they will ultimately offer either doors or removable curtains a la AF for F, but that is pure speculation on my part.
It definitely wont be anywhere near as private as a CW window seat. Looking at these pics from VA, its clear that anyone walking to the Loo, will have a very clear view of what you're up to, door closed or not. I think the door will increase the feeling of privacy a lot though (which ultimately is the important thing for most), esp when sleeping and is obviously a huge step up over a current CW aisle.

Current BA F isn't really any better, you do have a fraction of people likely to walk past however.

Same seat on VA -
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Looking at these pics from VA, its clear that anyone walking to the Loo, will have a very clear view of what you're up to, door closed or not.
I suspect that the photo is actually taken from a substantively higher vantage point than a standard human pair of eyes and from centre stage. In practice, i certainly don’t remember seeing quite as much as that. I’m sure one can see what people watch on their tv if one wants (I’ll admit I don’t!) but I’d expect it to be unlikely you’d see the people themselves especially in recline mode and with doors closed,
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I believe we should be expecting nothing more than a rollout of current 787-9 First with a few tweaks and a door - I guess the focus from an innovation point of view will be in soft product.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
agreed with above--the F seat is pretty great and the cabin quite spacious. personally i dont care for enclosed seats but if they would just up the food offerings, wine offerings, improved bedding and the like--i'd be a happy camper to continue F over J.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris9642
I believe we should be expecting nothing more than a rollout of current 787-9 First with a few tweaks and a door - I guess the focus from an innovation point of view will be in soft product.
That's certainly what Mr Cruz seemed to be implying when he was talking about an evolution of the current best F seat.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
It definitely wont be anywhere near as private as a CW window seat. Looking at these pics from VA, its clear that anyone walking to the Loo, will have a very clear view of what you're up to, door closed or not. I think the door will increase the feeling of privacy a lot though (which ultimately is the important thing for most), esp when sleeping and is obviously a huge step up over a current CW aisle.

Current BA F isn't really any better, you do have a fraction of people likely to walk past however.

Same seat on VA -
75pct of club world (aisle and middle) managed fine (but not great) with little privacy before.

what do people get up to in CW that no requires doors and privacy screens? The mind boggles.

Or or is this just ‘door envy’?

To me the seat comfort and leg space matters far more than a door in F or J. The QF and JAL F seats are perhaps the best commercial F seat out there (non me3). No doors and that rubbish- just a great seat and F+B.

I suspect that while aspirational F travellers like doors etc, regular users and payers might have other priorities.

ps for all the talk the A380 and 777 F seats already have a lot more room and width than even this new club seems to have.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Funny how those in an F seat would consider paying 20 quid on wifi a push! You're right though it should be included, just to avoid the hassle of having to pay...
It is not about the money, it is not about the ease. I can't think of an airline with F and WiFi that does not offer it for free. And I can think about some offering it for free in J. So it is about not coming across as nickle and diming the passengers in F.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would be amazed that the new first does not offer more privacy than the brand new CW product ....there we see privacy between passengers but not privacy towards the cabin crew. I hope this was deliberately done in order to offer full privacy in the new first cabin.

Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond

Now defunct Lufthansa 747-400 First
just to be mischievous
LondonAndy and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
A better hard product on the ground - especially getting from transfer security to CCR, the fact that CCR is loud and noisy, and the horrors of a transfer between T5 and T3.

In the air - I really like on the 747 in 1A, not having anyone walk past. But that is 1-2 seats on one aircraft type. On the 380 there is a lot of traffic, although it is nice not having a seat opposite. There is more square footage, but the design is quite poor and the space badly used.

I suppose they can't realistically place all restrooms aft of the F cabin on all aircraft, but as mentioned up thread it would be nice to have some differentiation to the C/Y restrooms.

A more spacious (and wider) seat, with privacy doors (like what LX has), without a reduction of width at your feet while sleeping. So not any drastic changes, really.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is not about the money, it is not about the ease. I can't think of an airline with F and WiFi that does not offer it for free. And I can think about some offering it for free in J. So it is about not coming across as nickle and diming the passengers in F.
Lufthansa are one for starters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.