Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flying BA’s Airbus A350: deliveries, routes, reviews and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Scotflyer80
Best seats on A350 guide: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...on-thread.html
Future route speculation: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...my-flight.html
Background discussion on the Club Suites (historical): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...on-thread.html
Madrid training flights - meetup thread (historical): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ps-thread.html

British Airways has revealed the configuration for its Airbus A350-1000 (56J 56W 219Y):
  • 56 business class featuring all-new Club Suites
  • 56 premium economy
  • 219 economy
  • (BA maintains that no A350s will have first class)
Familiarisation flights to Madrid (starts August 6th):
First A350 flights have also been revealed:
  • 02 to 06 Sep, 09 to 30 Sep, and from 08 Oct 2019 daily to Dubai (DXB) - BA107/106
  • from 01 Oct 2019, daily to Toronto (YYZ) - BA92/93
  • from 01 Dec 2019, daily to Tel Aviv (TLV) - BA163/162
  • from 01 Jan 2020, daily to Bangalore (BLR) - BA119/118
  • from 01 Mar 2020, double daily to Dubai (DXB) - BA107/106 & BA105/104

More pics and details at https://www.ausbt.com.au/british-air...ess-class-seat

Flights planned to be operated by a A350

Summer 2021 (Updated: 9th February 2021)

Austin - Daily
Buenos Aires via São Paulo - Daily
Denver - Daily
Dubai - 3 x Weekly (Tuesday to Thursday)
Las Vegas - Daily
Newark - 2 x Weekly (Monday/Sunday)
Vancouver - Daily

Winter 2021 (Updated: 9th February 2021)

Bangalore - Daily
Boston - 9 x Weekly
BA213/212 - Daily
BA215/214 - 2 x Weekly (Mon/Sun)
Chicago - 2 x Daily
Mumbai - Daily (BA139/138)
San Diego - Daily
Tel Aviv - Daily (BA163/162)
Washington - 3 x Weekly (BA293/292 Tuesday to Thursday)
Vancouver - Daily

Print Wikipost

Flying BA’s Airbus A350: deliveries, routes, reviews and more

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
is it also confirmed that there's no overhead air vents? Temperatures on board have become a real issue for me recently, and other A350s I've flown on recently have had really powerful, cool air flow from what I presume are newly-designed air vents.
No air vents unfortunately.
crazyanglaisy and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC
If reference to or quoting your excellent review of your flight yesterday @corporate-wage-slave, you mentioned...thanks for the photos and different points.

Second biggest drawback is the very narrow aisles, some wider wheelies will need to be carried and passing someone mid aisle will be an intimate experience.
May I ask? Is this due to the current config, where aisles are actually very roomy due to the current CW seat design in the aisles, or is this more of a general comparison point amongst other airlines with partition enclosed suites, i.e QSuites, Polaris, etc.

I understand you may be more OW (BA/AA) flyer experienced but I wondered if this tight aisle width was not exclusive to BA or the BA A350?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Narrow aisles also hint at highly angled seats and therefore tiny foot coffins, ala AY Cirrus.

While they don’t sound great for vertical height, has there been any IRL feedback on width as yet?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Narrow aisles also hint at highly angled seats and therefore tiny foot coffins, ala AY Cirrus.

While they don’t sound great for vertical height, has there been any IRL feedback on width as yet?
I'm flying tomorrow. Do you want me to take a tape-measure and get some figures?

M
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm flying tomorrow. Do you want me to take a tape-measure and get some figures?

M
Speaking for myself, a report on how you feel it compares to QR business (whether Q-suite, or simply ‘standard QR J class config / seating) will be of more interest !

I somehow can’t imagine BA being overly-keen to spend on a further revamp for quite some time ........ so this new CW suite is likely to be the BA norm for many years. Fingers crossed it stands the test of time (and that the newly-delivered aircraft get the benefit of a regular clean).

Meanwhile, good to see so much positive first-hand pax / media comment in these early days.

Last edited by subject2load; Aug 7, 2019 at 12:20 pm Reason: grammar / omission
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:49 pm

Good to see some of the positive reviews filtering through. The A350 showcasing is unfortunately being overshadowed by some pretty scathing press coverage on BA as a company following another IT issue.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
IMay I ask? Is this due to the current config, where aisles are actually very roomy due to the current CW seat design in the aisles, or is this more of a general comparison point amongst other airlines with partition enclosed suites, i.e QSuites, Polaris, etc.
I was comparing it to the previous CW. The CW new panelling is now at near shoulder height, so it's all the more visible, where as the aisle seats in legacy CW are particularly open. It also feels a bit narrower than the slightly staggered aisle on QSuites too, though I only know their A350-900 version, and a lot narrower than Cathay and Finnair's equivalent. Still it's a minor nuisance unless you are cabin crew.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:27 pm

Here is the Club Suite seat guide, which is to be found in the rack along with Highlife magazine

Prospero, BotB, LCSinTexas and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks c-w-s, very useful posts, great to have the seat guide to look at. ^

Interesting they call the 'shell' forward of the first row seating the 'monument', I also note the door is 'locked open' by cabin crew for take off and landing, did they do that for the training flights as well? How long did it stay 'locked for'? (until the crew 'bells' that they can get up or longer until the seat belt light goes off? (Other?)

Thanks again.

Safe travels.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
I also note the door is 'locked open' by cabin crew for take off and landing, did they do that for the training flights as well? How long did it stay 'locked for'? (until the crew 'bells' that they can get up or longer until the seat belt light goes off? (Other?)
Just after the crew bell, so typically within the first 5 to 10 minutes of the flight after take off. It was explained that this would happen in the safety briefing. Presumably to prevent people from doing what I did, which was to press the red lever marked "emergency use only"!

When you board, the door is locked open and you can't see much of the lever. But if you do "play" with the red lever, then it needs to be reset, and there is a hidden lever on the passenger side of the door, about two thirds of the way down the joined side, which needs to be flicked down. I mention all of this to prevent you from getting the incurable newbie toleration stare.....

==
It's a manual safety briefing, no video at the moment, the main difference is to point out the shoulder strap in addition to the waist belt, for which there is a silver-gold demo belt. Generally the wording is the same as the main manual briefing.
Prospero, DrLibra, florens and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just after the crew bell, so typically within the first 5 to 10 minutes of the flight after take off. It was explained that this would happen in the safety briefing. Presumably to prevent people from doing what I did, which was to press the red lever marked "emergency use only"!
What does the red handle actually do, though?

Last edited by armouredant; Aug 8, 2019 at 2:19 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Deleted.

Last edited by Trent900; Aug 8, 2019 at 4:28 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:33 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Initial feedback having just flown into MAD

1. Boarding at 2L, you really get a sense of how large the main CW cabin is. It felt like a walk to 1A, but at MAD we disembarked from 1L and 2L, so perhaps I was fortunate.

2. The in-seat power socket doesn't work from boarding, and while this is similar to other BA aircraft, not even the separate USB sockets were on. This surprised me, but when they did turn on, they charged my device pretty quickly.

3. The seat controls are super sensitive; the headphone cable managed to set them off a couple of times - I wondered initially whether my seat was possessed!

4. There is a lot of very useful storage around the seat, and I look forward to misplacing items on future flights!

5. The IFE screens aren't particularly sharp, certainly not HD, but they are enormous and very responsive. I had a chat with one of the Panasonic engineers before takeoff, and he explained that the system has been extensively tested (which perhaps bodes well for the future).

6. The seat itself is exceptionally comfortable, and the foot coffin (at least in 1A) is huge - photos to follow.

7. It's very quiet onboard, and with the large windows, it's quite a surreal experience.

8. The engineering and originality in the table design, is marvellous. It's a very clever solution, and means you have ample knee space when the table is fully extended in its lowest position.

9. The door is a bit of a novelty and fairly flimsy. However, for sleeping, it definitely adds a high degree of privacy. I probably wouldn't use it unless I was sleeping, but that's more so because the seat design itself, means you can't see any other passengers when sat back.

10. The aisles are very narrow, and I could envisage situations where pax end up in other peoples suites, to step out the way of each other (or the trolley).

11. I had a little sleep, and was pretty comfortable. I'm 6ft and broad, so certain A350 products I find very uncomfortable (AY). This however, was great.

The seat is pretty similar to the AA 789 product, but with a door, and possibly a larger IFE screen.

Is it the best J product in the sky? Potentially. I'd want longer onboard to find out.

Is the seat better than the QSuite? For me personally, yes. I find the QSuite quite claustrophobic

M
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
"Is the seat better than the QSuite? For me personally, yes. I find the QSuite quite claustrophobic"

That's interesting as I also found QSuite quite claustrophobic (6'3" and not too broad!). I have a flight booked to MAD on 1st September and was hopeful of trying Club Suite then ... but now BA brought forward the Dubai flights that's looking extremely unlikely. At least I hedged my bets by booking the 777 flight for the return leg!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I’m so happy about the positive feedback from the club suite. I’m really happy for BA and it’s good to see them get some nice compliments. But I must say I’m afraid of how the club suite will fit on the 787. I’m sure they’ve accounted for this and BA likes commonality in their cabins so they will still put the suite but the aisles will be TIGHT. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.