Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I note the OP had an oddly similar experience himself, albeit in business-class, which attracted similar pages of outrage and discussion.

Unnecessary daggers thrown...

And I think he's the OP of the recent polemical post involving CCR blaggers.

Clearly an eventful life.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
You can get away with telling us who it is if you want too. Not sure if i can think of anyone apart from Lord Adonis.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:32 am

Vince Cable?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
Vince Cable?
he’s a bit up himself but he doesn’t look like the type to do that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

he’s a bit up himself but he doesn’t look like the type to do that.
He might have been the 81 year old dad
allturnleft and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Frankly I would fire straight away the cabin crew who did not honour what was written on the ticket and gave way to a disgusting bully.

Agree the best course of action here would have been to send the story to the media.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I would only complain if the member of cabin crew actually forced your father to switch seats. If your father gave up his seat voluntarily I'd just name and shame the person who thought it was OK to bully your father into giving up his seat.

You're saying that the CSM was indifferent. As far as I understand your father approached them after he took the new seat? What was the nature of the complaint? I am just not sure what you wanted for them to do if you're saying that the cabin crew did not do anything wrong.
Let's take the situation one step further: Father refuses to give up seat. FA had already made up their mind to move Father. Now the Father risks disobeying an order by an FA. Voluntary...I think not. You don't always have to let the game play out to know the final score.
HMPS, T8191 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:24 pm

[QUOTE=frandrake;30904902]Frankly I would fire straight away the cabin crew who did not honour what was written on the ticket and gave way to a disgusting bully.

Then you would find yourself up to your neck in hot water from an industrial tribunal.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by frandrake
Frankly I would fire straight away the cabin crew who did not honour what was written on the ticket and gave way to a disgusting bully.
Saying things like this really discredit any point you are trying to make. I hope you’re not a people manager.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
I'm just going to assume it was Jeremy Clarkson until OP tells us otherwise...
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by tcollins33
Let's take the situation one step further: Father refuses to give up seat. FA had already made up their mind to move Father. Now the Father risks disobeying an order by an FA. Voluntary...I think not. You don't always have to let the game play out to know the final score.
So, now we know that there was an order to move?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
So, now we know that there was an order to move?
I think the presumption here is that if he had refused to move there would have been an order.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, quite rarely so. With TS, even if no gold has selected it, it will typically be only available to some still fairly frequent flyers, likely silver/sapphire. On US-UK routes, you do not only have BAEC high status passengers but also AA ones to consider. 1A/1K being available to someone without status in F can undoubtedly happen, but would likely be an extremely rare scenario.
Just chiming in as a scummy Blue member/Tesco traveller but on one of our First redemption to BOS on a 747, 1A was available for selection at OLCI. The wife wanted us to be together in row 5 so I suggested to my teenage son it would be really cool to sit up front, almost looking forward. I forget his exact words, but it was along the lines of “Meh!” Kids, eh?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
As none of us were they we don’t know what was said, and as for customers not instigating seat moves, what world do you live in?
I cannot believe any crew member wouldn’t act if they observed any type of bullying of a customer, none of us know what the picture looked and sounded like.
Not only that but assuming an 80 year old man is not able to make up his own mind would be patronising. The sequence of events suggests the initial FA did her best to politely check and help. The OP's father agreed to move. I feel sympathy for the OP. I too would be indignant if a 'DYKWIA' spoiled a flight for a loved one. Once the move had taken place, with agreement, CC were left in a very difficult position. I criticise inconsistent service when I experience it. CC have good hearts - and hate bullying as much as the next person, I'm sure. In this case, the fault seems to lie entirely with an entitled fellow passenger seeking to exploit a less frequent flyer.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

It is clear to me that:
  1. The only information we have is second hand from a single source
  2. Even people with zero obvious biases report the same incident differently, sometimes significantly
  3. We don't know exactly what was said, how it was said and in what order, or exactly what happened at each point in the incident
  4. We will probably never have much more information than we already have, and that information is incomplete and probably unintentionally skewed
And yet we have generated at least 208 further posts on the subject. Now if someone produces video of the incident, or possibly audio, or maybe a first hand account because they were actually there, then further discussion may be fruitful. However, without more concrete information we aren't going to be able to reach any kind of consensus on the subject. Don't let that stop you all from carrying on carrying on, though!

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.