Wiki Posts
Search

Scorpion on a plane!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, AAdvantage
Scorpion on a plane!

I travelled BKK - LHR yesterday (Thur 15th) on BA010 in Y. Which is probably 2 things that most sensible people on here would advise against .

Less than an hour into the flight there was a commotion a few rows in front & one rather panicked-looking passenger running towards the back of the plane to the nearest member of cabin crew. This is not something you generally want to see on any flight...

More people were standing up & getting involved, it was only when someone starting filming events on their phone that I started to think that it probably wasn't either terror-related or somebody taken seriously ill. A few more seconds passed by before my lip-reading skills deduced that people were discussing a scorpion in the cabin. It was dealt with very professionally by CC, I was too far away to see what became of the stowaway but I did see a member of CC walk past with a yellow bio-hazard bag shortly after. Calm was soon restored & people returned to their seats (there weren't many spare seats in the cabin), although I think most of us were more careful than usual when putting our shoes back on.

Don't know if this is something covered during CC training but I was impressed with the manner in which the situation was handled.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Well, good to know they handled it well. ba.com/welldone will let you pass on your appreciation in a way that BA's management will (slightly) notice.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad
it was only when someone starting filming events on their phone that I started to think that it probably wasn't either terror-related or somebody taken seriously ill.
I fear you are over-optimistic about human nature. I can (incredulously) imagine some people filming under even the most inappropriate of circumstances....
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Well done to this Mixed Fleet crew member for their exemplary service.
Dicksbits, stewaran, mrow and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Well, good to know they handled it well. ba.com/welldone will let you pass on your appreciation in a way that BA's management will (slightly) notice.
Indeed I will, hopefully somebody will care enough to acknowledge a job well done.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I fear you are over-optimistic about human nature. I can (incredulously) imagine some people filming under even the most inappropriate of circumstances....
On reflection I have to agree, sadly.
sentosa, TheOldMan and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Well, be happy that Sub-Zero did not show up, otherwise you might have had Kombat on the plane that might end up leaving people Mortally wounded.
dpesonen, tynmar, srcga and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I love the title of this thread. I hope there is a Flyertalker on board who took a video, and will find that s/he already has a thread conveniently created for quick and convenient posting.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have to add . . . if I found a scorpion on my seat or on me, I'd probably eject so quickly I'd go straight through the fuselage and depressurize the aircraft, leading to the deaths of all aboard. (But the dang scorpion would probably survive . . . .)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad
More people were standing up & getting involved, it was only when someone starting filming events on their phone .
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Somewhat off topic but I had my 5 year refresher course on CPR and life-saving techniques the other day - and goodness it does actually change every 5 years. It was led by someone from the London Ambulance Service, who spends 50% of his time doing lifesaving courses, and 50% of his time in an ambulance. He said that an increasing proportion of his callouts in public areas end up with people filming very ill people getting CPR (etc), and it drives him and his colleagues bananas (he used rather stronger language). When challenged, younger people don't even think what they are doing is in any way inappropriate. LAS now go around with screens, just for this. What can we all do? Well the professionals - and those properly trained - are best left to do their job, but if you come across an incident and perhaps intervene to challenge any filming I think that would help.

[Incidentally he also said that London has an extremely good record, by global standards, at saving people's lives with lifesaving skills since such a high proportion of the citizens there have these skills now. But that Heathrow had a particularly high survival rate, purely because so many people there know how to save a life].
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
He said that an increasing proportion of his callouts in public areas end up with people filming very ill people getting CPR (etc), and it drives him and his colleagues bananas (he used rather stronger language).
Tragic Some people have neither common sense nor respect for victims and their loved ones nor decency.

And fully agree with your advice and comments. ^
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:17 pm

Snakes on a plane reference here.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:08 am

Spider on a plane

I was on a flight to Phoenix once and I saw a creepy crawled at my feet. I proceeded to jump up onto my seat yelping like a little girl. The FA says OMG is it a scorpion? He too was freaked out. Thankfully my seat mate grabbed his cell phone flash light and crawled on the floor and found it and killed it. I dont wear open toed shoes on flights anymore. Hahaha
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
What is it with Scorpions lately? Is it a time of year when they are active? There was a report of one last week on a YYZ-YYC flight, not exactly the place you'd expect to see a scorpion.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ight-1.5050236
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Having lived in scorpion territory much of my life, I'm not much troubled by their presence or passing nearby. After all, holstered (on my feet), I carry 2 effective scorpion killers almost every where I go except bed & shower. Even small caliber flip-flops can batter your average scorpion lifeless with a single shot.

....But then, I did live on a ship for 3 years, an old vessel with rats both bold and vigorous, My ship was forced to affix the rat guards on her mooring lines in reverse, so that our rats could not slip ashore to terrorize Mediterranean seaports and their inhabitants, rodent or human.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.