Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can't purchase Avios if you have NO avios in your account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is the new policy that affects everybody or only inactive accounts, but I couldn't buy avios:

We are sorry but to purchase Avios you must have at least one Avios point in your Executive Club account.

Called EC and they couldn't help me saying that this seems to be a new policy. One agent suggested me to transfer AMEX rewards, but he wasn't completely sure if it will work. Anybody else has this problem or knows more details?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:43 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
It's been that way for at least 4 years, eg see the Ts and Cs quoted here Need a quick way to get some (even just 1!) Avios points
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Yes, this is the case, as documented in the EC's conditions of use
The Purchaser must have at least one Avios point in their Executive Club account in order to purchase.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
It's been that way for at least 4 years, eg see the Ts and Cs quoted here Need a quick way to get some (even just 1!) Avios points
I see. Thanks. Then I misunderstood the agent.

My problem is that I can't solve it by transferring point, neither by combining Avios. I tried and the transfer succeeds but they are shortly removed as expired. I understand that this is because my account was inactive for several years.

So the main question is if I can transfer from Amex rewards. If that doesn't work I might need to cancel the account and create a new one? That won't let me buy Avios, but it would let me transfer from Amex, I guess?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You can buy something from the e-store, that would reset the clock on your account.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Transferring some from Amex MR points should work and also reset the expiry clock.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
You can buy something from the e-store, that would reset the clock on your account.
Thanks, that probably will work I guess. But according to the e-store Avios might take a month to post. Or usually don't take that much?

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Transferring some from Amex MR points should work and also reset the expiry clock.
Are you sure about that? Note again that my problem is not the 36 months expire clock. My problem is that my account was inactive for several years and then I cannot even transfer or combine avios. I've been told explicitly that transferring from Amex won't change the "inactive" status and that in a few months my account would probably be cancelled. If I understood correctly, only buying Avios or flying would restore the "active" status.

The transfer from AMEX MR might still succeed and Avios might be available to use. Agents were not sure about that, if the system will remove the Avios (as it does if I attempt to combine Avios) or not. But seems that in the best case it won't change the status of the account.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
MilesLife - download the app, and do a daily check in. After 7 days checking in, you get some free miles/point. BAEC is a partner.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by lostfly
Are you sure about that? Note again that my problem is not the 36 months expire clock. My problem is that my account was inactive for several years and then I cannot even transfer or combine avios. I've been told explicitly that transferring from Amex won't change the "inactive" status and that in a few months my account would probably be cancelled. If I understood correctly, only buying Avios or flying would restore the "active" status.

The transfer from AMEX MR might still succeed and Avios might be available to use. Agents were not sure about that, if the system will remove the Avios (as it does if I attempt to combine Avios) or not. But seems that in the best case it won't change the status of the account.
Not sure, but I also think it will work in that a credit from Amex will be "earning" avios rather than "transferring" avios (between avios accounts). I'd certainly be confident enough to risk the minimum 1000 MR points.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

I solved the issue because finally they restored me the Avios that I combined from Iberia Plus but were removed automatically by the system. Once having at least one Avios I could purchase Avios myself. Transferring from AMEX MR might have been worked indeed. But I decided to play safe to be sure that my account would be restored to an "activate" state.

Thanks again everybody.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:03 pm

Not sure if this is the new policy that affects everybody or only inactive accounts, but I couldn't buy avios:

Called EC and they couldn't help me saying that this seems to be a new policy. One agent suggested me to transfer AMEX rewards, but he wasn't completely sure if it will work. Anybody else has this problem or knows more details?
within the iberia website it says:
9. The Buyer must also have been a holder of the Iberia Plus card for at least 3 months or have a balance of more than 0 Avios.

i wonder if the rules are different from BA vs IB?

I solved the issue because finally they restored me the Avios that I combined from Iberia Plus but were removed automatically by the system. Once having at least one Avios I could purchase Avios myself. Transferring from AMEX MR might have been worked indeed. But I decided to play safe to be sure that my account would be restored to an "activate" state.

Thanks again everybody.
great to hear they restored the avios. i believe thats very rare. almost always, i read stories where nobody would help.

also, when did you see the error message? even before attempting to buy? or right after you had pressed the "Buy" button? im interesting in buying avios and got to the final "Pay Now" screen. but my balance is also 0 and i see no error message yet. my account is new and was set up a few months ago. past 90 days. I had found your post just in time. now im trying to figure out the best way to transfer points. or maybe im still able to buy even though my account is 0? since my account is new? just want to make sure i dont run into pts expiring.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jun 26, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by tobsw
MilesLife - download the app, and do a daily check in. After 7 days checking in, you get some free miles/point. BAEC is a partner.
Understandably, this is an old thread resurrected. And Mileslife has been defunct for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.