Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Sorry - if you're declining these pragmatic suggestions because NCL "looks really grim", you frankly deserve everything you'll get from the BA desk in LHR.
​​​
SK, AlanA, justin_krusty and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Henry III
Not really a gambler! But, what - realistically - are the chances of 'good will' from BA staff? (After all, I've just paid them decent £££ for the GLA-LHR flight!)

NCL option looks really grim - rather just lose the will to live.

-- H
Difficult to assess the chances - as others have stated, you are at their mercy. I would be on the phone to KL right now getting them to rebook your existing ticket from NCL and heading down there by Uber. It is not an easy journey, but it is by far the best chance you have of rescuing this trip at a half-reasonable cost.
Ldnn1, krispy84 and memesweeper like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
And see here (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/court-rules-airlines-must-refund-return-miss-flight-cancelled/) about the legality of the fare rules.

-- H
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:45 pm

Personally I struggle to see that it's worth paying nearly a grand to salvage the original trip. Hence my suggestion about upfaring the ticket to a full flex so he can preserve the value for another trip entirely.

OP can get from GLA to BKK tomorrow for a ridiculously cheap £196, with reasonable flight times, if he actually needs to get there.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus
Sorry - if you're declining these pragmatic suggestions because NCL "looks really grim", you frankly deserve everything you'll get from the BA desk in LHR.
​​​
What I meant was that it is, essentially, impossible (or extremely unfeasible) for me to do: consider, I get a taxi to NCL, buy the NCL-AMS ticket (or get KLM to rebook me), then that flight is cancelled! Then I'm stuck in NCL.

I certainly did NOT mean to belittle the suggestion … I even check up on it as an option.

If my language/posts seem a bit 'off', then that's probably because I'm in a state of stress, just now.

-- Henry
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Personally I struggle to see that it's worth paying nearly a grand to salvage the original trip. Hence my suggestion about upfaring the ticket to a full flex so he can preserve the value for another trip entirely.

OP can get from GLA to BKK tomorrow for a ridiculously cheap £196, with reasonable flight times, if he actually needs to get there.
Agree with you on the extra £1k, although the option of paying £200 to NCL and a free change by KL is an even more palatable option.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Agree with you on the extra £1k, although the option of paying £200 to NCL and a free change by KL is an even more palatable option.
Agreed. And KL certainly should rebook for free if there's space.

What are the actual change rules and AP restrictions for the AMS-BKK fare by the way? How much would it cost to simply change the date?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by krispy84
Yikes!

I think it’s down to charm, self-deprication and luck.

Probably worth researching Y/W/J options from LHR to Thailand tomorrow as a backup plan.

EDIT:

Y £420 with Thai
W can’t see any direct, £1291 with Cathay via Hong Kong
J £1679 with Eva

all one way ex-LHR
These are surprisingly good last minute OW fares, although if OP's entire ticket is cancelled, I suspect that he/she will need a RT.
george77300 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Some person
KL1276 from EDI at 05:50 also looks like an option.
Shows 1 seat available on KLM.com. If I were the OP I’d grab it quick!
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

What are the actual change rules and AP restrictions for the AMS-BKK fare by the way? How much would it cost to simply change the date?
Quick answer: don't know if I can - maybe because I'm already checked-in for both flights? I've been looking all over the BA.com website but there's no option to change anything (or cancel my check-in).

However, the "Fare Conditions" do state that I can change for a fee!

I guess I'll need to talk to the BA staff at GLA tomorrow (I may then still be able to cancel the £££ GLA-LHR flight with a refund.)

But, anyway, I really DO APPRECIATE the suggestions you folks are giving - even if my replies aren't, perhaps, as polite as they should be.

-- Hopeful Henry
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Shows 1 seat available on KLM.com. If I were the OP I’d grab it quick!
Now on sale via Kayak too, which it wasn't earlier. Looks like someone has cancelled.

OP, get on the phone to KLM. You are not going to find a better option than this.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Henry III
Not really a gambler! But, what - realistically - are the chances of 'good will' from BA staff? (After all, I've just paid them decent £££ for the GLA-LHR flight!)
That actually is a really big gamble that you are taking actually. Unless the BA flight from AMS is cancelled or severely disrupted, which would increase your odds, at this stage, the most likely outcome is that you fly your GLA-LHR and are told that since you did not fly AMS-LHR, you have forfeited and lost your ticket, at which point you would find yourself at Heathrow, with no ticket, having paid a hefty price for a purposeless GLA-LHR and will still need to fork out more to return to either go back home or go to Thailand and back.

Personally, bar the helpful option above of rebooking from EDI to AMS, I'd still keep trying to call and just changing your original ticket to have time to arrive to AMS first (I would say that you can change online, but since you are checked in that may not be possible to do this online). After all, I don't know any of those AMS promotional fares that are not changeable. An alternative is to just book yourself on the cheap Eurowings flight that Lddn1 mentions, though you'll still need to buy a return part too. You can still change the original ticket anyway (but to a date further away to avoid a potentially hefty price difference) or just cancel and get the taxes back which may be close to paying your new Y trip.

In a nutshell, I really do not think that your plan of action is the way to go unless you know that the BA flight from AMS is cancelled. If not, as much as you may wish to throw yourself at the mercy of BA, chances are that this will be for exactly nothing. The odds are stacked against you and your Gold card will likely not change anything to the situation.

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 10, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I'm vaguely assuming (I know I shouldn't do this) that OP has a cheap exEU business class ticket with fare rules saying it must be flown exactly as ticketed or all value is lost. Even if he/she could convince BA to apply the value toward a new ticket exLHR, the cost difference would be huge.

The few times I've done separate tickets to save thousands of dollars on longhaul business class trips, I do an overnight connection at least on the outbound, and I won't even book the last nonstop of the day for that. The money I save on plane tickets--when it makes sense to bother with this strategy--is more than enough to pay for a couple nights at a luxury hotel, which is a lot more fun that just giving my credit card number to an airline.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Calling KLM now!
krispy84 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
OP - have you tried to call KLM and get them to change your GLA - AMS to NCL - AMS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.