Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
another data point on the general discussion, having been in a similar situation to the OP last summer.
Getting to Mumbai was cheapest from Hamburg. Work reasons had me on a late flight (7pm ish) LHR - HAM, with the first leg of my ex-eu the following afternoon. Was looking forward to a currywurst and some beer, but not to be. A thunderstorm in London saw us unlucky, positioning flight cancelled but not until nearer 10 than 9. Once we were off the plane and got our bags back, it was getting late and my searches for alternative positioning were getting more desperate. Called BA, was told that their policy is not to help in these situations, would have to pay £10k to start in LHR. Eventually found a Eurowings flight from MAN via DUS at 0830 the next morning. Expensive minicab ride and sleepless night, but I made it to HAM in time for a shower before the flight. Lesson learned, a backup plan, good travel insurance (I eventually got almost all of my costs back) and a willingness to change plans even if uncomfortable, is vital when doing an ex-EU.
adrianlondon and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Henry III
My previous Thai trip was at the time of the Drone Incident! But, also, there was the initial delay due to high winds at AMS (same as what prompted this thread). However, I didn't get any knowledge of it until after I had boarded the GLA-AMS flight, where the crew then announced we'd be waiting on the tarmac for a long time, hoping to get clearance from ATC if things improved (normal procedure, I think). KLM crew were very helpful and the purser checked her phone once we'd landed for details of my BA AMS-LHR flight - which was then also delayed by about the same amount, so I could (theoretically, at least) make the gate in time. (The booked flights that time had a much tighter layover at AMS).

That (AMS-LHR) flight was then further delayed because of issues caused by the drones at LGW (flights being diverted to LHR, etc), so I missed the onward LHR-(HKG)--BKK flights… but that was a 'protected' connexion (through ticket), and the BA transfer staff at LHR sorted it all out. As mentioned before, arrived 12 hours late, even though the delay was actually much longer (direct rather than via HKG).

But I think I've learnt the lesson! It's nice to save £££, but there's a balance between savings and stress-factors! Also, looking to June, I think the best option (currently) seems to be U2 direct each way, GLA-AMS (with an overnight at AMS for the outbound). … That also prompts another memory of a missed AMS-GLA (KL) flight due to a long delay in a (separate ticket) LGW-AMS U2 flight. On that occasion, I spoke to the easyJet folks (airside) at LGW and they moved me (for free) to their next LGW-GLA flight. Brilliant!

-- Henry
ah yes but i meant imagine you had flown your proposed ba itinerary via lgw. You’ve experienced the indirect consequences not even going via the affected airport so I’m sure you can imagine how nightmarish things would have been if your positioning trip was gla-lgw-AMS...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
So, the wee twist in the tale... As I said in a previous post, delays and missed flights are far less stressful on the return sectors of these ex-EU bookings; however

My booked return itinerary was BKK-LHR-AMS (BA/J), with a short(ish) connexion at LHR (scheduled arrival 17:25, departure 19:05). Overnight stay in the Mercure @AMS, then an 08:00 AMS-GLA (KL) flight.

Turned up at BKK this morning, to notice on the boards that the BKK-LHR flight is delayed by around 90 minutes. Ugh!

So I proceeded to the check-in desk with my 'Charm Offensive Mode' fully activated. The lovely young lady at the desk told me that, as I would miss my connecting flight, and the next (=last) BA flight of the day (dep. 19:45), they would automatically put me on tomorrow's 06:45 flight. That would make me miss the AMS-GLA (with no protection).

Then, in my very best pigeon Thai, I explained I actually wanted to go to GLA. She said (in her most excellent English) that they could possibly re-route me to GLA if there was a flight available today (but not tomorrow*).After some considerable tapping of keyboards, and more than a few phone calls, she smiled (I do love the way Thais smile when they have something nice to tell you) and said I was a very luck man! Now checked in for the LHR-GLA flight at 20:20 (should be a fairly easy connexion, if no significant further delay). Magic.

Also, my booking for the Mercure Schiphol was fully refundable! Not sure if I can get anything back from KLM, but that's not important (I lose a few miles, but I can live with that). I'll let KLM know, however, just out of courtesy; that can't do any harm, I think.

Phew! What a trip.

-- Henry

* Presumably, a same-day re-route avoids the need for BA to fork out for a hotel stay? Or maybe there's a more subtle reason? Or avoidance of having to cough-up delay compensation (don't yet know what the cause of the delay … possibly to do with the fact the Pakistani airspace is close off).
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Henry III
* Presumably, a same-day re-route avoids the need for BA to fork out for a hotel stay? Or maybe there's a more subtle reason? Or avoidance of having to cough-up delay compensation (don't yet know what the cause of the delay … possibly to do with the fact the Pakistani airspace is close off).
I don't quite understand it either, other than it may just be a limitation of which alternative services show up on her computer. I don't think BA actually cares that much, but clearly getting you to GLA the same evening will save them from buying you a hotel room for the night. At LHR they probably would be ok to give you the hotel and a GLA end point hypothetically, but these options probably don't show up on your agent's screen right now. Under EC261 they don't strictly speaking need to offer a hotel or compensation if you change the booking voluntarily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.