Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Leg No-Show: Urgent Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Agneisse

sounds like a great skipper! You’re in good hands. I hope you have a lovely trip.

Regarding rebooking, I agree with staying airside. One possible alternative if you speak other languages is to call BA in said non-English language, I have found they can be more accommodating in trying to solve issues although very anecdotal and YMMV. If you cannot sort it out there then wait until LHR, they have to feed/water/provide hotels for you anyway so it is to their benefit to help you
I’d be tempted to angle for the QR route if rebooking was necessary - though maybe that leaves too early to be certain the original connection is borked?

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Looks like the OP is in air for the 550am EDI-LHR; currently scheduled into AMS at 906am. The BA AMS-LHR (BA 429) segment still shows on time with a 1005 departure, giving OP just under an hour to make the connection The first morning BA AMS-LHR flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Also the inbound LHR-AMS (BA 428) bring the plane OP will be on, it currently 40 minutes delayed, set to arrive at 0919.
Don’t most of the UK flights decant into the same stretch of D gates? OP should have no issues.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:27 am

Good luck to the OP.

With the amount of last minute drama that happens on FT, surprised no has made a TV series or movie
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

OP has said he’s on the 1140 flight from AMS which is the BA431 with a 2hr plus delay so he should comfortably make that and his BKK flight but either way he is protected
Oh if that's the case, they should make it comfortably. Though I did notice the EDI-AMS flight is on an airborne delay, scheduled to arrive at 1001am now. So if they're on the earlier BA flight, which still leaves at 1017, their SOL. But if they're on that later 1140 flight they still have a comfortable buffer (the inbound for BA 431 is just leaving LHR now; with a scheduled 50 min turn in AMS).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:10 am

OP is on the later flight (11:40). Doesn't matter whether it leaves on time or is delayed, OP will catch it anyway. The positioning flight (from EDI) has landed at AMS 13 minutes ago (at 9:57).

OP, enjoy Thailand!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad it all worked out for you! Enjoy the trip.

Hopefully the OP will manage to have his GLA-LHR refunded / reused in some way. Did he not contact KLM when they cancelled GLA-AMS to find there were no seats from EDI? With availability only opening later? Or was the OP just not aware he could be rerouted?
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I’ve been in Amsterdam since Friday and the weather here has been very windy, with lots or rain and hail. My flight home this afternoon is already delayed by 85 minutes. Hoping I can make my onward conection to MAN (last flight of the day - a busy workday tomorrow and then off to LAX on Wednesday).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:36 am

What a cool thread! From complete panic to (seemingly) being on a KLM flight, and upgraded from Y to J, albeit from Edinburgh instead of Glasgow. It's also good to feel, through someone else rather than me, what can happen when an ex-EU doesn't go to plan.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: *A
Glad that it seems to have worked out for OP. Wouldn't such an event be covered by the CoC:
3c4) If you need to change any aspect of your transportation because of events beyond your control, you must contact us as soon as possible. We will use reasonable efforts to transport you to your next stopover or final destination, without re-calculating the fare.
A delayed KL flight due to weather is arguably no different to a broken down HEX or an accident on the M4.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Smile

So, time for a Happy Update (as some other posters here have surmised already) …

EDI-AMS left a bit earlier than the announced delay: push-back at 07:30 (not 07:45); good tail-winds and a seemingly reckless pilot (heh heh) helped making up time, and we were on stand at 10:00. If I had been on the earlier BA flight, I could easily have made it, as we pulled into a D gate just a few down from the BA departure area (generally D26 thru D29).

Anyway, I made an un-rushed walk to the BA lounge (where I am now), checking the info screens on the way. Many delayed flights (most all, actually) but very few more than 1 hour. On arrival at the lounge, the "Dragon" (hate that term when used of somebody nice) said, rather cheekily, "You know your flight is delayed?" I asked humbly, "How long?" The answer came with a wide-brimmed smile, "Currently estimated at 5 minutes! The inbound is on its way!"

So, no longer a problem of no-show and/or losing any tickets (and I even still have the return KLM booking)! And it's looking good for the onward to BKK. Just one more hurdle: I have an 8 hour layover in BKK, then an onward to VTE (on TG). (Glutton for punishment, methinks!) Still, in the unlikely event that I miss that, it's not a massive problem. I can just call the girlfriend (she's from Vientiane and will expect to meet me at the airport) and catch an overnight bus or train up to the Thai/Lao border, where she will meet me and get a Tuk-Tuk or Songthaew into town at the correct (i.e. Lao) price. Very different from last time: even though I knew I'd be 12 hours late at BKK and (of course) sent many messages to She (and most of her family) explaining the situation, her phone wasn't working in Thailand and she ended up waiting faithfully at BKK for the full 12 hours. Made my heart ache so that it almost burst. This time, when I called and said what MIGHT happen, she just smiled and said, "Yeah, whatever!" (Typically bloody Lao - so laid back you could model sofas on them!)

-- Henry-the-Embodiment-of-Happiness!

EDIT: And there was the call for boarding! @10:58.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: Meh
And the lesson is - stay in AMS the night before enjoying a stress free sleep.
our_kid, mrow, BingBongBoy and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
And the lesson is - stay in AMS the night before enjoying a stress free sleep.
EXACTLY what I am doing on my convoluted AMS-BKK next month; Thursday night last flight to AMS, Friday first flight back to LHR - usual day at work - LHR-HKG BA0027 at 21.55hrs
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a palaver just to meet the girlfriend.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What a great thread! So glad Henry III made it. You lot are worth your weight in gold on this forum. I actually feel hugely proud to be a member of this community.

It made great reading for me as I embark on my Round the World TP run on Friday on multiple separate tickets. My fingers, legs and everything else are crossed especially for the weather.

BTW I have an overnight stop between tickets as stevie suggests. (See my travel blog below).
tapuach likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What a palaver just to meet the girlfriend.
Things have clearly moved on from taking the 7A down to Rutherglen.

I'm glad the OP is resolved. Looking back, actually whether s/he appreciated it or not, there were actually two backups here (EDI and NCL), maybe even 2 more if we include ABZ and INV. So the initial plan - which I still think wasn't entirely wise - nevertheless had quite a fair degree of resilience to it, even if the OP was perhaps not entirely aware of it initially. The only mistake - fortunately corrected - was the expensive single ticket to London, given the alternatives.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:41 am

Glad it worked out!

Originally Posted by BrianDromey

Hopefully the OP will manage to have his GLA-LHR refunded / reused in some way. Did he not contact KLM when they cancelled GLA-AMS to find there were no seats from EDI? With availability only opening later? Or was the OP just not aware he could be rerouted?
Brian, OP did get his GLA-LHR rerouted/reused, as posted before your reply. Yes, he did contact KLM as soon as a seat opened from EDI. He has already boarded AMS-LHR, about to depart in a few minutes (with a 6 minute delay).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.