Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making a Jetblue to BA connection at BOS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Bad idea surely is a matter of perspective. If the OP is on a fully flexible ticket (or doesn't care about the financial implications of buying a new ticket) and arriving in LHR at a given time is not critical, then this sounds like a great way of making the trip a little shorter.

If money or arriving on time are important, then maybe not the best option.

Also, there is an assisted connection service at BOS that might be able to shave a few minutes off (200 USD).
michelledrage likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Please report back on how you get on - its really valuable to know
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
Please report back on how you get on - its really valuable to know
To be honest, if the OP makes it, it will simply mean that she was lucky enough that her first flight was on time/early and that the queues at immigration weren't too bad. It is what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for! It wouldn't change the fact that if someone else does the same and has less luck they would miss their flight.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
If you wish to add actual data to this query, check out historical immigration process times via this link:

https://awt.cbp.gov/

Be sure to look at the day of week and time as your inbound. As noted, BOS can be very busy late-afternoon through early-evening.

Cheers,
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, this is a before booking question.
Sealink and michelledrage like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
Don't you then mean "fortunately"?
orbitmic and michelledrage like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is not connecting. He is transferring between two entirely separate tickets. Unless his BA ticket is both flexible and retains value even after departure on a no show (which would be fabulously expensive), the risk here is losing the BA ticket and being required to purchase a new BOS-LHR ticket at walk-up prices prevailing.

I realize that there are no other B6 options, but wonder whether the risk is worth it given the host of other options (including BA or VS nonstop),
orbitmic and michelledrage like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, MIchelle, sounds as if the consensus is: dump that Jet Blue ticket and find some other way to get to Boston earlier.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The biggest concession ICE has made is that if you are traveling on a single international-international ticket and connecting at a few select airports like Miami or DFW, you can through check luggage to your final destination rather than having to take it through USA immigration with you.
Yes, you can. However, I have seen a number of bags in this situation at various airports which were sent out to the claim belt instead of connecting properly. I think that the problem is that the bag handlers at international arrival terminals are accustomed to putting all the bags on the claim belt, even when they're tagged for connections. Speaking for myself, this is not something I would count on happening correctly.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As others have said, there is no connection here, but instead a recipe for much stress and disappointment. There is no way I’d attempt this. Good luck.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I do hope the OP comes back to us as to how this 2 hour transfer went. To the opposite extreme, I am flying to Barbados on my AmEx 2-4-1 voucher later this year, but have given myself 2 nights in Barbados to make the transfer flights to and from St Vincent with Liat.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by TomMM
??? this bears no relation to the original post where it is clear they have already booked the flights.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:51 am

This sounds like a terrible idea even if hand baggage only and in possession of global entry/mobile passport app. I wish OP the best but I can see a lot of wasted $ (possibly) or a lot of stress (guaranteed).

If you must stay on the same flight itinerary I would recommend the following:
- go hand luggage only (acknowledge this may not be possible) or at least cut down on the number of bags you check
- sit as close to the front of the plane as possible
- upon arrival at the immigration line in BOS, ask/beg each person in front of you to let you cut in front of them due to a tight connection
- RUN (or at least walk briskly). Do not stop for the restroom, get water, etc. until you are at the gate in Terminal E

Last edited by Agneisse; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:03 am
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Jetblue B644 is scheduled to arrive into Boston from Barbaros at 19:38. It is the only direct flight on B6 from Barbaros to Boston.

BA202 is scheduled to depart Boston at 21:10. That is 1h32 minutes later. The checkin deadline for BA at Boston is 1h before departure.

So this is 32m as scheduled to get off the flight from Barbados, pass US immigration, get bags from the belt, pass US customs, go upstairs, and check in for the BA flight. That is very risky. It is extremely risky if you cannot use the US CBP automated kiosks.

Bag handling at Boston is not fast. Any delay to this at all and you are stuck in Boston and BA do not have to do anything to help.

Good flight alternatives from Barbados to Boston are hard to come by.

Suggestions from me:
(a) Move your flight from Boston to the next day if you can.
(b) Move your flight to Boston to the previous day if you can.
(c) Fly back to the UK from a different airport with better connections from Barbados.
(d) Take the risk and be prepared to lost the value of your First ticket and buy a walk-up (expensive) ticket back to the UK the day after. Only for the brave or rich.

Now, I have arrived landside at Boston half an hour or so after landing, with rapid kiosk passage and "Ok" baggage delivery speed. I have also arrived landside over an hour after landing, with queues at CBP and "normal for Boston" baggage delivery speed. BOS is not a fast airport.

You might make this if HBO, but even HBO you are in trouble if the B6 flight is more than a few minutes delayed.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks - Actually its a 21.40 departure from BOS, and the Jetblue from BGI Is usually at the gate 15 minutes early, but even still ......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.