Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA A319 economy class is too tight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The OP could I assume also pay to put themselves in an exit row with the extra leg room that row has?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Could the OP not upgrade to CE on their return leg from BSL, either via a POUG or... do BSL offer paid upgrades at the airport? Whilst CE is the same legroom for most rows, row 1 maybe available but also with no one in the middle seat its therefore possible to sit at an angle with your legs more stretched out than usual.

As for the LHR - PHX, you also upgrade using cash (if its available online or at LHR) or I'm sure someone will recommend a seat in Y.
As has been mentioned earlier I believe the OP has a disability, but not exactly sure. This may preclude exit rows.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I thought I once read that N830MH uses various assistance technologies to interact with the forum, which could explain the slightly odd syntax and question. My apologies if that is not correct, but worth bearing in mind as a possibility.
IIRC, I think that is correct.

It is also useful for posters to remember that people often interact here on these threads where English may not be their first language - or they have no English at all and various "translate" applications are used which usually accounts for phrases which are unwieldy or slightly peculiar to the native english reader.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
As has been mentioned earlier I believe the OP has a disability, but not exactly sure. This may preclude exit rows.
The poster is a long time valued member of FlyerTalk who posts using American Sign Language. That's why the syntax may seem a little different.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Unfortunately for the OP, if he/she found the A319 too tight and uncomfortable, I feel sorry for him/her when he will have to sit in the rear part of the new NEO planes.

As for Premium Economy, if OP wants to fly in it, the best advice one can give is to contact BA urgently to check the price difference that will be entailed as it is likely to become a lot more expensive towards departure date unless a promotional AUP is on the card which could then be reasonably priced.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
The poster is a long time valued member of FlyerTalk who posts using American Sign Language. That's why the syntax may seem a little different.
I quite agree. I have read a number of his posts on other airlines. Being short the cramped seating on BA short haul is not really a worry, but it can be difficult to avoid.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
The only way to get slightly more legroom LHR-BSL is to book economy and get an emergency exit row. Without status that's tricky. Getting an aisle seat and sticking your legs out is all you can do otherwise. Or maybe lock yourself in the toilet for an hour?
The OP is deaf and unfortunately will not be eligible to sit in an emergency exit seat so that rules that one out. I get the impression the OP wants to ugrade the LHR-PHX leg - so that is POUG or AUP at the airport if the fare different upgrade price is too expensive.

Did the OP fly on BA from PHX to LHR on the outbound? I'm curious because I find the long haul economy seats better than the shorthaul seats.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...and Mucci.
Originally Posted by KARFA
The a319 is actually quite roomy in Y and has not been densified like the current a320/a321 fleet. The new a320neo or a321neos are also quite dense. If the op finds Y in the a319 too tight I would recommend avoiding ba short haul altogether in future.
Pretty sure the last few rows at the back of the 319s have a reduced seat pitch (29 inches instead of 30), though not exact on where the reduced seat pitch starts. Wasn’t this done in a previous densification when one of the rear toilets was removed from the 319s?

Not clear if the OP was back there, of course. If an exit row (or CE) not possible, getting a seat as far forward as possible for BSL-LHR may help a little, assuming another 319, which may not be the case.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic

As for Premium Economy, if OP wants to fly in it, the best advice one can give is to contact BA urgently to check the price difference that will be entailed as it is likely to become a lot more expensive towards departure date unless a promotional AUP is on the card which could then be reasonably priced.
Given the OP's situation regarding paying for an exit row the advice above seems to be the only option open to them.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Given the OP's situation regarding paying for an exit row the advice above seems to be the only option open to them.
Unfortunately not, I cannot sit in an exit row. Im sorry. We will notify my friends who work at MIA airport. He will talks someone. They will figure it out.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:33 am

I am in a similar position in that my disability precludes sitting in an exit row. My solution is to fly CE in an aisle seat for anything but the shortest flights (and even then, ie to Edinburgh, I have an aisle seat in economy) and hope to get row 1. For LH I wouldn’t attempt anything less than CW as I have no wish to be in agony on arrival.
I hope the OP manages to get an upgrade, whether cash or points.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
if this is the case - contacting BA (by email) will allow him to choose his seat especially if travelling with a partner. There are new regulations for people with hidden disabilities.

That way the OP can choose a seat with extra legroom at no extra cost.
Funky Spike and Worcester like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH

Unfortunately not, I cannot sit in an exit row. Im sorry. We will notify my friends who work at MIA airport. He will talks someone. They will figure it out.
Good luck! If you're not already in an aisle seat, that might feel like it has more room.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FEMW

if this is the case - contacting BA (by email) will allow him to choose his seat especially if travelling with a partner. There are new regulations for people with hidden disabilities.

That way the OP can choose a seat with extra legroom at no extra cost.
Neither EU nor US rules require BA to provide a seat with extra leg room for a person who is precluded from the exit row because he is hearing impaired.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
The a319 is actually quite roomy in Y and has not been densified like the current a320/a321 fleet.
Row 10 onwards (the rows that cannot be converted to CE) are 29" pitch on the A319, which is 1" less than the legacy ceo A320/A321 fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.