Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Blue
I think you should go to Japan, see Tokyo for a few days, perhaps go to Osaka/Kyoto too, and then use Avios for cheap domestic redemptions (more on Head for Points here). Paired with car rental, this makes visiting one of the other islands achievable. Tourism from other countries drops off pretty dramatically outside the main Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Hiroshima corridor and it definitely feels a lot more Japanese!

Flights to every airport on the four main islands you can reach on JAL from Tokyo Haneda are the shortest band (4500 Avios), plus, usually, zero tax (I had to add a $1 charity donation on top to make the credit card go through once or twice!). For 20,000 Avios and probably very little tax, for example, you could fly Tokyo to Osaka (for Kyoto) for 4500, then from Osaka up to Sapporo for 7500 and back down to Tokyo for 4500. JAL's domestic network is very extensive. There's no need to stick to major cities - there are often multiple daily direct flights from Haneda to smaller airports, like going to Asahikawa up in Hokkaido, Akita or Aomori in northern Honshu or or to one of the non-Okinawa islands down south like Miyako or Ishigaki. Sometimes flying is a huge time savings, too, because the bullet train doesn't go everywhere - it might take a full day to get to Kumano Kodo near Osaka overland, for example, but you can fly to Nanki Shirahama very close to the area on J-AIR, JAL's regional-jet subsidiary, in 65 minutes from Haneda.

I spent last summer in Hokkaido and northern Honshu driving around some perfectly maintained roads seeing all manner of natural wonders from steaming volcanoes to gorgeous lakes and forests. In a month, using Avios in domestic Y on JAL (which is excellent) I think I went from Hong Kong (where I live) to Tokyo to Sapporo to Memanbetsu (near the stunning national parks out in east Hokkaido which I drove around for a week - highly recommended), back to Tokyo, up to Aomori (which replaced a flight to Kochi on Shikoku, more on that below), down through Honshu back to Tokyo by train with the Tohoku East Japan Rail Pass, and then out and back to Okinawa. This trip would have been insanely expensive with cash tickets, and getting to some of the places I went by train would have been impossible or taken multiple days. Avios really were a lifesaver.

The other benefit to using Avios domestically is what I found to be excellent availability on these domestic flights - after the floods in southern Shikoku last summer I needed to seriously rejigger my itinerary and was able to do so and see many other options via the BA site with just a few days' notice. The BA site seems quite good at finding J-AIR (the regional jet wing of JAL up north?) and 'normal' JAL domestic availability, less so some of the other domestic affiliates like Japan Transocean Air for the flights between some of the islands in Okinawa.

Good luck!
GCab likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

What do you guys think of NY? CW 29/06 to 09/07 returning in F. 130,000 Avios using the 2-4-1 and around £1050...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by shnprst
What do you guys think of NY? CW 29/06 to 09/07 returning in F. 130,000 Avios using the 2-4-1 and around £1050...
"Short Ride" not if you are blowing a lifetime bucket list "expense".

Otherwise NYC is very god. You can make a triangle of a road trip by car / bus to Washington DC, Niagara Falls and even a day in Toronto.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the feedback. I would never use the 241 on an Europe trip - I was talking about using Avios for the Europe trip and keeping the 241 voucher for a later time. I think you're right regarding the usage of the 2-4-1 voucher. I am a perfectionist and always like to get the best for my money. I have spent too much time looking at the particular model of plane and discounted flights because they leave London City or Gatwick. I wouldn't normally spend £10k a year on a credit card and it was very convoluted to do so - but my family helped me out. I therefore don't expect to accrue this on an annual basis. I looked at NY, but heard in July (especially the last two weeks) it is terribly humid too. Hence why I looked more into Boston... but the whole maritime / sports impact on the city puts me off. I don't think it's for me.

I am not planning both trips simultaneously. The Europe trip is more of a 'tide me over' until I can use the 2-4-1 ticket. However I would really love to use this voucher! It expires January 2021 (as you can see - I'm very impatient ).
Sorry for misunderstanding about the 241. Obviously the longer time scale gives you more options.

My point about NY was not that you should go there specifically but because it’s where I went under similar circumstances and that the joy of a first-time / once-in-lifetime luxury flight is not necessarily proportionate to the total flight hours. The First experience at each end, the novelty factor, etc. are all a big part of it for us first-timers, so a 6 hr flight is not ‘half’ as worthwhile as a 12 hour one.

Yes it’s nice to be able to enjoy a few meals and preferably a daytime flight etc., but F to East Coast was an affordable thrill and one I thoroughly enjoyed for a place I wanted to get to.

As for which city, I do wonder if perhaps you’re leaping to conclusions too readily about places. I spent a week in Boston with absolutely no interest in sport, and it was excellent on an arts, historical and foodie level. I’d go back like a shot, and the sporting thing didn’t bother me at all. But obviously it’s your trip and you have looked into it in more detail.

Last edited by GCab; Mar 9, 2019 at 11:25 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
Don't think anyone has suggested Corsica yet? It's a great combo destination although very hot and busy from mid-July to end-August. Last week of June / first couple of weeks of July work very well however and BA have a couple of routes to the island this summer. Otherwise I'm also a fan of the Montenegro & Albania suggestions :-) Cheers. Fritz

Last edited by Fritz; Mar 9, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: additional commentary
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I wouldn’t recommend you book 10 nights to NY. You can see the obvious sights in 2-3 days - beyond that you need to be honest about your appetite for museums, shopping, Broadway, neighbourhoods. And hotels are very expensive.

You can can of course pair it with Boston, DC, Niagara/Toronto or Chicago, but then you should look to book an open jaw.

As a general point, if you are talking about occasional travel, tied to school holidays, I would suggest you think about trips to Europe in the summers and long haul at Easter: i.e. get yourself ready to book somewhere for April 2020. It’s more of an upgrade/privilege to get some good weather in the spring than in summer, when Europe is just fine. As well as Japan and the US (also California), you could consider Rio & Buenos Aires, India or the Far East (HK or Singapore plus Thailand or Vietnam).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I'm afraid these simply need an obscene amount of Avios points when not using the 2-4-1 voucher. I could certainly keep saving, but I'd likely need another 180,000 to bring me up to around 400,000.
Color me confused. Thought you had a 2 -4-1.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:27 pm

Already aboard

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk Walter B Kasmer and welcome to the BA forun. It looks like you have some background in this area so feel free to develop the point as to when you would recommend travellers to try Tokyo. Welcome on board.
Thanks, but I have posted before with another handle. Been having trouble logging in, and found it easier to use my FB account for that, hence the handle change

Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GCab
I don't think this really helps OP with making best use of his 2-4-1, which requires a BA flight.
I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how additional information wouldn't help the OP make a better informed decision/choice..
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
Color me confused. Thought you had a 2 -4-1.
I do but you can only use it on BA flights originating from the UK. You cannot use it on partners.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Can you share the airbnb you stayed at? I have never used airbnb before but I am eager to do so.
No probs! Will send you a private message with a link.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GfL
shnprst, firstly congrats on the weight loss, that is a magnificent achievement!

I'll add my 10 pence to say we went to Boston in August two years ago and loved it. Perhaps not the longest of flights to truly experience F, but a great city to visit:

It was warm, but not particularly humid or unbearable - shorts and short-sleeve shirts during the day.
A nice and easy city to walk around, and experience its somewhat quaint metro.
Walked the Freedom Trail which is fascinating.
Plenty of restaurants, and you can find ones that are not crazy expensive.
Took the commuter train up to Rockport, which is beautiful - try the crab rolls!
Walked out to Harvard University and strolled around there.
If it's your thing, we went to see the Boston Red Socks at Fenway Park - the oldest baseball park in the Major Leagues - you can find cheaper seats out in the bleachers.

As you say, Boston is not the cheapest of places. Our hotel was central and quite pricey, but we had a large supermarket close by and bought bagels, OJ, etc there and ate breakfast in our room. Keeps the costs down.

Don't write off Boston!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:15 am

Boston is a great city, and still had a very young vibe because of 300+ universities and colleges in the greater Boston area.

Rockport as suggested is a fun little spot to either visit by commuter train or rental car. Salem can also be interesting if you like the occult and want to visit a hot spot for fortune telling in N. America.

Ghe Freedom Trail can be fun and takes you to quite a few historic places, but drpending in your timeline, you may not wish to walk the whole trail. The Find Arts museum is quite good to and not far from the Harvard campus, so you could possibly take that in. Also Boston has a well developed off Broadway theater district, so you can take in a play if you are interested.

The Commons, a large park, also has some free concerts in the summer which can be taken in. Finally, visit Quincy Market for some street performances and some cheaper eats depending on the restaurant.

Walter aka gaijinalways

Last edited by Walter B Kasmer; Mar 10, 2019 at 6:45 pm Reason: add previous name
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
One long haul destination that is often overlooked in the European summer is JNB. It's well and truly off-season, so that may bode well for availability and for someone who doesn't like heat and humidity, the climate would be perfect.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm having a hard time trying to imagine how additional information wouldn't help the OP make a better informed decision/choice..
With respect, the original post was someone wanting to use his (BA-only) 2-for-1 voucher for a First for two people, which (as I understood it) would otherwise be unachievable with the Avios available. Advising him to fly with someone else would (at least) double the Avios needed and probably put the whole thing out of reach, which is why I thought "lots of other airlines are better than BA F" didn't really help him in this context.

Last edited by GCab; Mar 10, 2019 at 8:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.