Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Actually, I am among those who would avoid both Japan and South Korea in July-August as far as possible - and that comes from someone who 1) recommends not worrying too much about visiting South East Asia during the Monsoon, and 2) absolutely loves South Korea and even more Japan. It's just the least pleasant period to be there and there are so many alternatives in that period and so many more enjoyable things to do in Japan the rest of the year (yes, even in the cold winter).

If you really want F for the sake of it, DME is indeed an option, but the visa situation can be a bit of a pain. I would also consider TLV. Whilst the weather can be hot it is still a lot more manageable in my view. Canada and the Northern US are also great in the summer.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I’d save your Avios and wait until where you want to go becomes available. Try setting up some alerts on baredemptionfinder. I’m also a teacher and we have managed to go to San Diego/Phoenix last Easter holidays and Singapore/Kuala Lumpur this coming May half term, both on a 2-4-1 in F. You need to be flexible about where you want to go and search literally every day, or set up an alert. Aiming for Tokyo is great; but consider other ways of getting there eg Avios via Shanghai and even paying for an ex-EU cheap ticket to save your Avios. Although, Tokyo direct doesn’t often come up ex-EU.

If you fancy a nice week or so by an Italian lake, we loved our trip last May to Lake Como; gorgeous Airbnb, beautiful views and stunning villages and food. Dead cheap to get to Milan and rent a car too. Would return in a heartbeat. I don’t really see the point in flying Club on such a short flight and having to rent a car at the other end ie no drinking.

Oh, and don’t worry about car rentals. We get through a dozen or so a year on Avis with all the bike racing and have never had a problem. You can buy excess refund insurance for about £70 a year which is great value and complete peace of mind. Italy is a bit scary on the motorway (stopping distances, anyone....) but other than that you’ll be fine.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Lots of good advice already, but a few more short-haul thoughts, some of which I’ve managed to grab summer Avios availability for before:

Bari - to visit Puglia in particular Ostuni, but also some good beaches and in general great food.

Split - the Radisson is a kind of resort hotel but still only 20 mins walk along the coast or a 5 min Uber into the town. Although personally I would use Split as a gateway to the Northern Dalmatian islands.

Stockholm - pricier than Southern Europe and less guaranteed weather. But more chance of finding a redemption and a small and relaxed city that has easy access to the lovely archipelago.

Catania/Palermo - although it’s hot in summer you are never far from the sea. There are good trains around the coast meaning you can avoid driving if you want. Lots of smaller towns to explore along the coast. Might be harder to find a redemption though.

Bordeaux - a lovely city old centre, however accommodation can be harder to find.

Bilbao - mainly to coat St. Sebastian, but also for the Guggenheim.

Porto - lots of options for interesting stays across northern Portugal as well the city itself.

Seville/Granada - both are worth a visit and have good hotel options. Most of the southern Spanish airports are within a few hours drive of each other and could potentially be used as a gateway. There is much more to this part of the world than the coastal resorts.

Also if you can only grab Club for the outbound and can make a Economy cash or Avios or even an EasyJet return flight this can work well. Club a nice start to the holiday and you get the benefit of a decent lounge at Heathrow or Gatwick (rather than some of the more limited offerings at some of the smaller European airports).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:13 pm

fix the weather

Originally Posted by SKRan
Tokyo is certainly not unbearable in July. I’d still go for it. Last time I flew BA F to HND with MF crew. None of them speak Japanese and they had no idea that green tea can be served chilled. Try it from a vending machine and that’ll fix the weather.
No, iced green tea doesn’t fix the humidity and heat, especially if you are not accustomed to it. Going on 27 years in the ‘soup’, still haven’t gotten there!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
On a slightly different note, if you're looking for a great experience for your first First, BA isn't the way to go. I don't know redemption costs for Avios on partners, but maybe try CX through HKG? QR through CDG and DOH? (There are no QR F award seats on DOH/LHR.) Of the long haul F products available on OW, the only one worse than BA is AA, IMO.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
On a slightly different note, if you're looking for a great experience for your first First, BA isn't the way to go. I don't know redemption costs for Avios on partners, but maybe try CX through HKG? QR through CDG and DOH? (There are no QR F award seats on DOH/LHR.) Of the long haul F products available on OW, the only one worse than BA is AA, IMO.
I agree.
How about JAL? Hear good things about it. Did a F long haul on EY with AA miles, with a Chef on Board !
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Walter B Kasmer

No, iced green tea doesn’t fix the humidity and heat, especially if you are not accustomed to it. Going on 27 years in the ‘soup’, still haven’t gotten there!
Welcome to Flyertalk Walter B Kasmer and welcome to the BA forun. It looks like you have some background in this area so feel free to develop the point as to when you would recommend travellers to try Tokyo. Welcome on board.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
I agree.
How about JAL? Hear good things about it. Did a F long haul on EY with AA miles, with a Chef on Board !
I will agree on this, a tad more avios, but 5 times the experience. I would avoid TYO during summer, I struggle with heat and humidity, have been there in May, and that was borderline for me.

If you are going somewhere this summer I will throw in Iceland...I also struggle with the Mediterranean during summer months...
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by shnprst

That sounds lovely! However, I don't know if I would be confident enough to drive abroad. However that sounds incredibly relaxing. My partner wishes to visit these Scandinavian countries, however I have heard they are prohibitively expensive (more so Sweden?).
Hi
If you are going to dip your toe into driving abroad Finland is a great place to do it. The other drivers are so considerate. In 3 trips I have been tooted at once - and that was an "excuse me but have you realised those lights are green" kind of toot. I have stalled in the middle of what pass for busy junctions and everyone has waited until I sorted myself out. Plus in the summer it is light all the time. Getting in and out of HEL also pretty easy.

I reckon the most nerve wracking bit is getting on and out of the airport with the car. I usually scrutinise google maps and streetview for the likely route before booking flight if car is involved (after being seriously traumatised by MIA a few years ago).

Good luck.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhbloke
....Beautiful coastline in Montenegro, as well as mountains and lakes and the trip from Tirana into Montenegro along the lake can be nice.
That sounds like a great trip, which lake were you were thinking of?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft

That sounds like a great trip, which lake were you were thinking of?
Lake Skadar and the National Park has some nice spots, and obviously Bay of Kotor is also nice, a night in Perast is always a nice wind down.
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Walter B Kasmer

Ok enjoy your English summer in a perfectly warm and cozy Burberry trench coat then.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
I agree.
I'm afraid these simply need an obscene amount of Avios points when not using the 2-4-1 voucher. I could certainly keep saving, but I'd likely need another 180,000 to bring me up to around 400,000.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I don't think this really helps OP with making best use of his 2-4-1, which requires a BA flight.

I am a bit of a newb but as someone for whom these things are similar rare/first-time pleasures, I would say a few things

(i) Don't over-worry about a short East Coast US flight not being 'worth it' - you could argue it uses up less Avios than a longer one and still makes good use of your 2-4-1. I had my first BA First on LHR-JFK last year, and wife and I both loved it - you get all the 'gimmicks' including CCR at both ends, table service on the plane (I sat on her footrest and we had a proper couples dining experience, especially as the cabin crew also enjoyed it and went the full Orient Express with us and another couple who opted for the same), seat 1A on a 747 (secured at 24h) and a fantastic crew, and if it's all over in 7 hours one way and 5h30 the other, then so what - it was memorable and we went somewhere we wanted to go. Also don't worry too much about the endless comparison shopping of whether First in 747 is too narrow, or how much better every non-BA airline is, etc., etc. - like me, you aren't so experienced as to 'know better', so rest assured that you'll enjoy it whatever (which to be honest is quite a nice position to be in).

(ii) Having been to Japan over 3 seasons previously I did go at end July for a music festival; I also hate hot muggy weather and yes it was, but don't write it off - I enjoyed it, and you could either go north to Hokkaido or do what we did and embrace the heat and get some very novel beach time, on Ishigaki Island way down south. Must admit flying via Tokyo wasn't the most efficient (Ishigaki is only about an hour from Hong Kong I think) but it was another memorable trip.

It seems a shame to spend a 241 on a Europe trip only due to being talked out of whether it's "worth it" on a longer one - it will be.

Last edited by GCab; Mar 9, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GCab
I don't think this really helps OP with making best use of his 2-4-1, which requires a BA flight.

I am a bit of a newb but as someone for whom these things are similar rare/first-time pleasures, I would say a few things

(i) Don't over-worry about a short East Coast US flight not being 'worth it' - you could argue it uses up less Avios than a longer one and still makes good use of your 2-4-1. I had my first BA First on LHR-JFK last year, and wife and I both loved it - you get all the 'gimmicks' including CCR at both ends, table service on the plane (I sat on her footrest and we had a proper couples dining experience, especially as the cabin crew also enjoyed it and went the full Orient Express with us and another couple who opted for the same), seat 1A on a 747 (secured at 24h) and a fantastic crew, and if it's all over in 7 hours one way and 5h30 the other, then so what - it was memorable and we went somewhere we wanted to go. Also don't worry too much about the endless comparison shopping of whether First in 747 is too narrow, or how much better every non-BA airline is, etc., etc. - like me, you aren't so experienced as to 'know better', so rest assured that you'll enjoy it whatever (which to be honest is quite a nice position to be in).

(ii) Having been to Japan over 3 seasons previously I did go at end July for a music festival; I also hate hot muggy weather and yes it was, but don't write it off - I enjoyed it, and you could either go north to Hokkaido or do what we did and embrace the heat and get some very novel beach time, on Ishigaki Island way down south. Must admit flying via Tokyo wasn't the most efficient (Ishigaki is only about an hour from Hong Kong I think) but it was another memorable trip.

It seems a shame to spend a 241 on a Europe trip only due to being talked out of whether it's "worth it" on a longer one - it will be.

Thanks for the feedback. I would never use the 241 on an Europe trip - I was talking about using Avios for the Europe trip and keeping the 241 voucher for a later time. I think you're right regarding the usage of the 2-4-1 voucher. I am a perfectionist and always like to get the best for my money. I have spent too much time looking at the particular model of plane and discounted flights because they leave London City or Gatwick. I wouldn't normally spend £10k a year on a credit card and it was very convoluted to do so - but my family helped me out. I therefore don't expect to accrue this on an annual basis. I looked at NY, but heard in July (especially the last two weeks) it is terribly humid too. Hence why I looked more into Boston... but the whole maritime / sports impact on the city puts me off. I don't think it's for me.

Of course I would love to go to Los Angeles or San Francisco but they routes are heavily in demand.

For a trip to Europe, I would maybe have a budget of £1400-1600 for the two of us on flights and accommodation. Maybe a week long? I looked at HEL - good offer from BA on CE flights for £300 per person. But when I switch this to ET I can fly with Finnair for around £130 return. I find it hard to justify the extra. I live near Glasgow so always could use Avios to get to London for around 16000 Avios for the both of us, return + £70.

For a trip using the 2-4-1 voucher, I would probably have a budget of around £3000. I am able to get the train to INV to make a first class redemption cost around £1050 as opposed to £1350-1450.

I am not planning both trips simultaneously. The Europe trip is more of a 'tide me over' until I can use the 2-4-1 ticket. However I would really love to use this voucher! It expires January 2021 (as you can see - I'm very impatient ).

Originally Posted by Simonmiller
Not guaranteed weather but the year before last I decided to stay in Europe for a summer break and had a great time in Helsinki, a lakeside cottage about an hour's drive away (which was spectacular) and then a short spell in Stockholm. Scandinavia can be a bit on the pricy side, but it's possible to dine out on the cheap too!
Can you share the airbnb you stayed at? I have never used airbnb before but I am eager to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.