Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ineluctable power of BAEC loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
I'm just happy to have learnt a new word.
ineluctable
/ˌɪnɪˈlʌktəb(ə)l/
adjectiveadjective: ineluctable
  1. unable to be resisted or avoided; inescapable.

Red wine is ineluctable.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The problem with the FFP schemes is that they are grounded on the premise that for their target customer, e.g. a business traveler who either does not pay for his tickets or has them reimbursed by a third-party such as an employer or a client, that the passenger is not as price sensitive as he ought to be and may not be at all.

I have no idea who paid for OP's ticket or what the reason was for that person to pay for the change, but one wonders how that third-party would have reacted has he been presented with the option of paying an additional £700 so that an employee or service provider (lawyer, accountant, consultant) may fly a preferred carrier when a cheaper and equally sufficient equivalent exists.

I certainly cannot imagine approving the £700 without requiring a review of whether there are more prudent alternatives.

Put another way, what would OP have dome had the £700 been out of his own pocket?
They made it clear the £700 was paid by the person or company responsible for the change. £700 is frankly trifling if you're flying someone to and from the US to begin with, and paying the daily/hourly charge rate of the kind of person that you have fly in from another continent.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The problem with the FFP schemes is that they are grounded on the premise that for their target customer, e.g. a business traveler who either does not pay for his tickets or has them reimbursed by a third-party such as an employer or a client, that the passenger is not as price sensitive as he ought to be and may not be at all.

I have no idea who paid for OP's ticket or what the reason was for that person to pay for the change, but one wonders how that third-party would have reacted has he been presented with the option of paying an additional £700 so that an employee or service provider (lawyer, accountant, consultant) may fly a preferred carrier when a cheaper and equally sufficient equivalent exists.

I certainly cannot imagine approving the £700 without requiring a review of whether there are more prudent alternatives.

Put another way, what would OP have dome had the £700 been out of his own pocket?
All that is true, but there is another factor, which is that in the consulting/legal/accounting world, the senior person who is flying international business class also has responsibility for their budgets and profitability, so loyalty only goes so far. Value for cost is still the major driver. For 700 GBP being paid for by someone else, I might just charge it through. But 700 GBP is not a huge amount in most large budgets. And if I judged it was material on a project, I'd at least say something like "I'll need to charge through the difference in flight cost" and give them an opportunity to object. Clients are not oblivious - they know things are not free - but I want to respect their budgets as well. And for a much larger amount, say a 6000 GBP difference, I would not even ask. Just like if I were paying it myself, I'd fly the cheaper airline, and status would be immaterial. That, in fact, is why I am flying BA TATL in CW in a day on no status instead of Polaris UA, on which I am a 1K. Though not always the case, the difference was about 7000 USD. (Don't know why - government people flying IAD-BRU pre-Brexit?) I am just not comfortable charging that much more to the client.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Additional £700 fare isn't much for a difference between R and C. I think you've done pretty well (a decent corporate deal?).

I'd have stuck to the devil I know for £700 fare difference to be honest, for no other reason than the familiarity, as long as it's pretty much what I want. I have my funny little routine on board that I'd stick to if I can.

Familiarity sometimes breeds contempt but it's nice to be able to guess how things work so that I can plan how to maximise my sleep, for instance.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Additional £700 fare isn't much for a difference between R and C. I think you've done pretty well (a decent corporate deal?).

I'd have stuck to the devil I know for £700 fare difference to be honest, for no other reason than the familiarity, as long as it's pretty much what I want. I have my funny little routine on board that I'd stick to if I can.

Familiarity sometimes breeds contempt but it's nice to be able to guess how things work so that I can plan how to maximise my sleep, for instance.
Familiarity also played a part in my decision for sure. Especially since I’m on the upper deck.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes that would have been more interesting.....spending other peoples money is easy.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BearX220
That's so sad. When a service provider has you where it wants you like that, it naturally needs to exert less effort to retain you.
I wonder how many here are beholden to BA either personally or because of corporate rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.