Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Gomac
I requested the full menu from Your First for my upcoming SFO flight next month and it is indeed the new menu and looks very different all round, it is great to see the extra snacks during the meal times as well as the details on the second meal.

Full menu attached.
Very useful, I’ve got the same menu coming up, and while the proof of the pudding etc..., it looks like an improvement with the light bites added. I’m particularly pleased to see that the menu finally says that you can eat when you wish, which will be helpful for those unfamiliar with the availability of dine on demand.

Lookimg forward to trying the improved dining and will see if the flight also gets the new amenities, bedding etc. I hope the new F pen is as good as the old ones, I like those
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m really excited about the changes which I believe will make travelling in First a much more luxurious experience.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m really excited about the changes which I believe will make travelling in First a much more luxurious experience.
I fly to JFK four weeks today, and I’m really excited too! I hope your fellow crew members are also excited by the changes, as their enthusiasm makes for such a better service.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
There doesn’t seem to be much variation between the menus that have been posted, maybe one dish swapped out to suit a particular route. Is that how it is/was pre these changes?
It seems to be like that.

I’m flying F to KUL next month and have the same three beef, halibut and ravioli options with the addition of Chicken satay with steamed veg and boiled rice on the LHR - KUL leg.

On the return leg it’s exactly the same three plus a Nasi Minyak with Malay chicken.

Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Ldnn1

The meaning is very clear, in that everyone knows that it means.

Neither of the two options above is ideal, but if I had been the copywriter I may well have picked the first.
As you say, perfectly clear and sounds a lot better.

Its purpose is to advertise food, not be a legally binding contract
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by AnttiV
What I’d like to see above all of these improvements is reliability. There’s almost always very noticable failures in the soft product in F. Like last night on BA28 they served the British fizz (and as it’s not hard to taste/sniff the difference) I was told ”we cannot do anything, LPGS was not loaded”.
Quite. I did HND-LHR in F recently (daytime flight). Full cabin, and there had been one bottle of LPGS because "the outbound drank almost all of the stock". Notwithstanding questions of stocking alcohol at outstations because of price, surely simply allowing only half of the stock on the outbound to be consumed, so there is half for the inbound would make sense.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius

Of course, if you were a copywriter you would have picked the former!

😁
Not if I was trying to wind someone up...
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by speedbird001
Uninspiring to say the least.......
Except for the sliders on some menu's and the addition of crisps at snack time, the meals look just like the old ones. It will be interesting to hear about the new linens.
On the basis of the very limited sample of menus posted above, I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by what I've seen of the new menu concept for a few reasons. First, I don't like the idea of having to choose my own sides, and would much rather order a main course where some serious thought has gone into preparing a complete dish, with flavours matched carefully. A variety of different veg and potato options will work perfectly acceptably if you're opting for the steak, but I think there'll be clashes when you try to make selections from the limited list of sides to accompany other meats or fish. I also fear that this approach will also have a negative impact on the presentation of the dishes; we might firmly end up in Sunday lunch territory here. Secondly, aside from the new sliders option (only apparently available on longer flights), the snack menu looks to basically involve moving the Club Kitchen further forward. I think they could have been more adventurous here. Finally, the wine list does not look to have seen any improvement at all. And, for me, this was an area where the most change was needed. I would also really like to see something other than Grand Siècle being offered as the headline champagne choice just for a change. I've not seen the soft drink list yet, but I do hope at least that BA will have gone down the route of offering a decent English sparkling non-alcoholic pressé (or something similar). Let's see.

But I will retain an open mind. And, if the quality and taste of the food is markedly improved, I expect that I might indeed be suitably whelmed.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
I love the ideal of a choice of sides in F and the ones in the menu above sound delicious. Hope they load enough..

If Can I Help You is excited, I am excited! 😋
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, it’s only Mrs CIHY that has ever seen me this excited.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
As you say, perfectly clear and sounds a lot better.
Sounds better ≠ correct. But here's an example of why this stuff makes a difference. Imagine a magazine cover:

● Rachel Ray Loves Cooking Her Dog And Her Family
or
● Rachel Ray Loves Cooking, Her Dog And Her Family

Is the comma important?

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Its purpose is to advertise food, not be a legally binding contract
This is how language slides into ruin. "Are you going tonight?" becomes "r u goin 2 nite?"

So language only needs to be correct for legal documents? Why have any grammar rules at all?

All that said, however, I'm trying the new F next week, SEZ-LHR-LAX. Based on what I've read here, I'm looking forward to it.
NYLON Boy and HMPS like this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 30, 2019 at 7:37 am
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
agreed--the option of sides is quite exciting as normally we are stuck with whatever is plated and planned. but depending on mood on board, who knows what i'd like.

its a bit like a dinner party right? when the host makes a meal and you can select from various options aside from the main.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you

...and more consistent. Very recent outbound to NRT no slippers, no hand wash in the lavatory (until asked crew for), no flower in lavatory. Inbound: YES slippers, YES hand wash and flower, but told by crew only ONE of certain food courses loaded. Both day flights departing at similar times.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Rubecula
I cannot remember the last time I had an outstanding main in F but I have had outstanding starters and puddings. With separate sides, if the catering levels permit, I may well prefer two starters, a side and no main.
Sadly soup is the only course I have found 'outstanding' in a BA F cabin.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All seats will have a really nice day blankets and new headsets loaded and we will now be proactively offering slippers as they are loaded to 100%, the slippers now come in two sizes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.