Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded AA PE Booking With Cash & Only Earned PE Tier Points & Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all,

Just wanted to check if I'm getting the right info from BA regarding a recent upgrade - thanks in advance for any help.

I was offered a cash upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class on an American Airlines booking traveling on an American Airlines aircraft (which I took). The flight was credited to the BAEC and I earned Tier Points & Avios in line with the Premium Economy fare I originally booked. BA are saying that this is correct and that "American Airlines doesn't offer extra credit for airport upgrades".

In the past, when a similar situation would arise and I credited the flights to AAdvantage, I would get the Business Class miles/elite credits so I wanted to check if BA's explanation ties in with what you guys have experienced or if I should be pursuing the extra Tier Points/Avios?

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:24 am

BA are correct. Airport upgrades on AA do not earn extra Avios/Tier Points.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mileometer
Hi all,

Just wanted to check if I'm getting the right info from BA regarding a recent upgrade - thanks in advance for any help.

I was offered a cash upgrade from Premium Economy to Business Class on an American Airlines booking traveling on an American Airlines aircraft (which I took). The flight was credited to the BAEC and I earned Tier Points & Avios in line with the Premium Economy fare I originally booked. BA are saying that this is correct and that "American Airlines doesn't offer extra credit for airport upgrades".

In the past, when a similar situation would arise and I credited the flights to AAdvantage, I would get the Business Class miles/elite credits so I wanted to check if BA's explanation ties in with what you guys have experienced or if I should be pursuing the extra Tier Points/Avios?

Thanks.
Hi,

Was this at the airport? In which case it is correct an airport upgrade on AA would only credit the orignially booked cabin tier points and avios for BAEC ( BA is fairly unique in OW that an AUP on a cash fare would give the upgraded cabin tier points and avios ( there may be another OW airline that does similar to BA).

Not sure how AA Aadvantage works in this case.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by rapidex
BA are correct. Airport upgrades on AA do not earn extra Avios/Tier Points.
I found this information valuable to help me in booking flights e.g. I have booked to fly in WTP and have chosen to fly on AA metal for the daytime LHR-USA flight but return on BA metal where I might choose an AUP for the overnight return flight. I believe booking on an AA code but onBA metal also means you will not earn extra Avios/TPs if you AUP.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Was this at the airport? In which case it is correct an airport upgrade on AA would only credit the orignially booked cabin tier points and avios for BAEC ( BA is fairly unique in OW that an AUP on a cash fare would give the upgraded cabin tier points and avios ( there may be another OW airline that does similar to BA).

Not sure how AA Aadvantage works in this case.

Regards

TBS
It was online and 10 hours before departure....but offered as I was checking in so, essentially, the same as this being at the airport.

Thanks to everyone for all the quick replies - really appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.