Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club world dining in the dark

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Club world dining in the dark

Had a Bloody Mary over me last night in club from KL to LHR as the crew member tripped in the dark and let go - the woman next to me got a good measure too. Why? The new club class dining regime - no trolly - and on late flights dinner served by torch light. On the outbound flight from take off to main course was 3 hours and I gave up - anyone else experienced this new improved club service level?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum TheTonyTraveller. Thank you for signing up with us and contributing.

It doesn't sound very well organised, and that departure from KUL is at midnight local time. So some will have eaten and will be wanting sleep, others will want to have the meal. The risk of a drink going flying is a perennial one, I've had about half a dozen rinsings in my time, all of which were in broad daylight.

Generally the new catering gets to me within the first 2 hours of take off, so it can be done faster than 3 hours, that suggests an inexperienced and non-confident crew to be honest. I would feedback both experiences to customer relations, not because it will directly do much good but collectively if there is a pattern of complaints emerging then something will happen. The reason for getting rid of the trolley was to speed up delivery - and there are at least two sides to that argument - but regardless I think sending trolleys into CW in KUL-LHR would be a bad idea given that on a 787 every chink can be heard.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Don’t disagree and the problem with who wants to eat and who don’t is perennial. Interesting on the flight out the manager said was much harder on ‘holiday’ routes as everyone wants to eat and drink unlike more biz routes in N America. He also blamed the configuration on that particular plane - the cabin crew were clearly working their legs off!

The bit that that worries me more is the working in the dark - it will be interesting to see but I expect there will be an increase in trips and spills as crew just can’t see what there are doing - apart from my minor discomfort of having to change and sleep in my arrival clothes (no. PJs available) and paid over £3k of my own money to do so - the real issue is staff and passenger safety.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:29 am

Hmm... suddenly I don't like my aisle seat choices so much.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I really dislike this regime, having experienced it JFK-LHR. No trolley, poor service because the crew can’t see properly - I can understand the need to do this on a late flight, but, but mine was only 7pm.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
I really dislike this regime, having experienced it JFK-LHR. No trolley, poor service because the crew can’t see properly - I can understand the need to do this on a late flight, but, but mine was only 7pm.
It's more understandable on JFK-LHR. 7 pm is late enough: it's midnight for many people on the flight, nobody will get more than about 5 hours sleep at best, and many then have to deal immediately with a whole day in the office.

The KUL-LHR flight's timing is much like HKG-LHR. Is KUL-LHR cabin kept any darker than a HKG-LHR? I don't recall dinner being served by candle torch light on HKG-LHR, although to be honest I'm not often eating at the beginning of that flight.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA can’t win

the OP complains (and I have no issue with that) about dining in the dark but others have complained about it being too bright in the cabin for them to sleep whilst others eat their dinner.

so it’s a case of finding the right level of light to suit both. Bit I don’t think BA will ever satisfy everyone.
Britflyer18 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

for the 2345 hkg lhr flight (a380) in december the cabin lights were on full both for dinner and breakfast in the upper deck club world cabin

regards

tbs
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

On a recent night flight meal service, Qantas CA's were wearing small lapel torches which seemed effective.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA can’t win

the OP complains (and I have no issue with that) about dining in the dark but others have complained about it being too bright in the cabin for them to sleep whilst others eat their dinner.

If only someone would invent something to cover your eyes so that people can sleep whilst there was a light source present.

Just think, they could even include them in the amenity bag!

Edit - Oh, and the answer to doing both without disturbing those apparently incapable of using eye-masks... red light.
LBP2 and gypsyjaney like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:29 pm

Whats wrong with gateside catering for Y passengers and Lounge Catering for Premium passengers and offer a snack larder in the cabin with Premium Snacks, Cheese Platters etc. Just eliminate the full service on the short late night flight and perhaps offer a Hot English Breakfast for those who want it. Or just retime the flight to leave at 5 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X

If only someone would invent something to cover your eyes so that people can sleep whilst there was a light source present.

Just think, they could even include them in the amenity bag!

Edit - Oh, and the answer to doing both without disturbing those apparently incapable of using eye-masks... red light.
Wear two eye masks.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by danielonn
Whats wrong with gateside catering for Y passengers and Lounge Catering for Premium passengers and offer a snack larder in the cabin with Premium Snacks, Cheese Platters etc. Just eliminate the full service on the short late night flight and perhaps offer a Hot English Breakfast for those who want it. Or just retime the flight to leave at 5 PM.
It’ll never happen for a number of reasons. But I did wish this was the case as a regular flyer down the rear end on overnight flights from the east coast that always eats before the flight
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by danielonn
Because then you go back to the point made above... You can't please everyone...

Mrs. DYKWIA "I don't want to eat in the lounge, I WANT TO EAT ON THE PLANE!"

Mr. DYKWIA "WHY ARE YOU EATING ON THE PLANE! You could have eaten in the lounge, you are disturbing everyone with your cutlery and plate!"

And the tale goes on.

Aircraft are public transport... You have to do things you don't want to, both onboard, before and after. If you don't want to do that, then charter your own aircraft or don't travel.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Aircraft are public transport... You have to do things you don't want to, both onboard, before and after. If you don't want to do that, then charter your own aircraft or don't travel.
Indeed...thankfully the majority of people realise this and live with it.
IIRC the AF flight from CDG-EZE used to leave near midnight. Honestly can't remember if lights were dimmed or not for the meal but those who wanted to sleep asap used to use their eye mask and ear plugs. If you're tired enough you'll sleep anyway.
BingBongBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.