BAEC Silver baggage allowance

Old Feb 19, 19, 10:52 am
rum
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC, Hilton, IHG, Marriott
BAEC Silver baggage allowance

Hello

I was wondering if I get any baggage allowance with Silver membership on no baggage fares. There is a note on the BA website that this is excluded, but then the asterisk (*) seems to suggest this is OK if the silver card member is travelling on the booking.

Do I get to take a free checked bag on a 'hand baggage only fare' as a silver or not?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No, you don't.
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What Globaliser says

I have a feeling of Deja Vu - all over again!

Wasn't this asked very recently by someone else?
adrianlondon and mikeyfly like this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet View Post
Wasn't this asked very recently by someone else?
We currently have an epidemic of threads asking "I bought a fare that does not include checked baggage, so can I check a bag for free?"
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rum View Post
Hello

I was wondering if I get any baggage allowance with Silver membership on no baggage fares. There is a note on the BA website that this is excluded, but then the asterisk (*) seems to suggest this is OK if the silver card member is travelling on the booking.

Do I get to take a free checked bag on a 'hand baggage only fare' as a silver or not?

Thanks!
It depends on which carrier you are flying. If you redeem Avios for an Economy Class ticket on an AA domestic (and even some international routes), BA will refer to the AA flight as HBO. But, in fact, even though no free checked baggage is included on such tickets, AA will permit oneworld elites to check one or more bags for free; the exact number depends upon the particular oneworld status.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:30 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
We currently have an epidemic of threads asking "I bought a fare that does not include checked baggage, so can I check a bag for free?"
technically I didn’t buy the fare myself. It goes through my employer’s travel agent which is as crap as they get

oh and not everyone checks each and every recent thread to see if the same question has already been asked. At least it wasn’t on page 1 when I checked
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh and not everyone checks each and every recent thread to see if the same question has already been asked. At least it wasn’t on page 1 when I checked
I'm not sure that I would personally be keen to advertise the fact that before asking a question, I had only bothered to do a cursory scan of page 1.

In any event, a lot of people have put in a lot of time and effort into creating and maintaining the BA Forum Dashboard, which contains a link to the BA Baggage Guide, which contains this post about inclusive checked baggage allowances: BA Baggage Guide

In that post, you will find this handy graphic:-

ajeleonard and tilal6991 like this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 11:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
technically I didn’t buy the fare myself. It goes through my employer’s travel agent which is as crap as they get
If you are likely to need a checked bag can you include that in your request to your TA?

With most of my work European travel being on airlines that do not regularly include checked bags I usually specifiy what I want as a matter of course and let the TA work out what fare to book.
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

If you are likely to need a checked bag can you include that in your request to your TA?

With most of my work European travel being on airlines that do not regularly include checked bags I usually specifiy what I want as a matter of course and let the TA work out what fare to book.
Employers should mandate it in their travel policy and booking systems. So many dumbos in my organisation book HBO fares and then end up paying and expensing airport baggage fees, its a joke.
Old Feb 25, 19, 6:36 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

I wish it were that simple. All fares are benchamrked in the TA website against the cheapest available fare (often another airline) and the travel policy allows for a certain % difference meaning all fares including a bag (on BA) are out of policy. It stinks really.

Originally Posted by cameramaker View Post
Employers should mandate it in their travel policy and booking systems. So many dumbos in my organisation book HBO fares and then end up paying and expensing airport baggage fees, its a joke.
I totally agree!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: