Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Deleted.

Last edited by kanderson1965; Feb 23, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pretty much all of the NEB's, certainly UK, have determined that having a little placard at the counter is good enough as advice of EC 261/2004.

Someone did a study in 2016-17 which may or may not be academically sound. They came to the conclusion that only roughly 2% of facially valid claims are ever even made in the first place. Presumably the percentage who follow through from an initial denial and then with a formal proceeding of some kind is even less.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
deleted, duplicate.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Often1 posted 'Pretty much all of the NEB's, certainly UK, have determined that having a little placard at the counter is good enough as advice of EC 261/2004.'

The placards cover general awarness, if disruption or denied boarding actually happens, the airline is required by the CAA to provide more detailed information.

CAP1227 and subsequent relevant documents refer, but I cannot post a URL as a new user.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it. part of the EC261 regulations that airlines are required to inform customers of their rights under EC261?
Yes. In other words, if the airline won't inform you about your rights, you can sue the airline for this and the court will then force the airline to provide you with this information.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas
They do in America!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:54 pm
Suspended

With EU carriers falling like flies, there may be little stomach to increase carrier costs. What befalls BA merely results in higher fares but it befalls DY as well.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by richardwft

The CAA is funded by, let me just check...airlines! Hence no enforcement.
lots of regulators are funded by fees of those that they regulate. And the one I worked with definitely enforced the regulations including closing firms down (and winning on appeals)

and CEDR is certainly ruling against the airlines that fund them. Same with the financial ombudsman too.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
....lots of regulators are funded by fees of those that they regulate. And the one I worked with definitely enforced the regulations including closing firms down (and winning on appeals)

and CEDR is certainly ruling against the airlines that fund them. Same with the financial ombudsman too.
It appears the CAA is not an effective enforcer of EU reg ec 261:2004, and this really does need to be addressed.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Originally Posted by HMPS
Bolding mine.
BA probably saves a ton of money with the first and second no....
Has anyone done a study as to how many CUSTOMERS walk away or bad mouth BA for putting them through the hoops ?
I don’t know about that, but ever since they consistently lied to me about the cause of a delay from JNB, and then gave in and paid a day before the arbitration decision deadline, I have only flown BA on redemption flights and sworn never to give them a revenue penny again.

And I am afraid I do indeed bad mouth the company, but not the staff who are their saving grace, and whom Alex Cruz simply doesn’t deserve.
HMPS likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Whilst the payment-dodging behaviour is unconscionable, it is by no means limited to BA, and it will continue until the relevant authorities start making it more expensive to break the law than it is to abide by it.
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Whilst the payment-dodging behaviour is unconscionable, it is by no means limited to BA, and it will continue until the relevant authorities start making it more expensive to break the law than it is to abide by it.
Which will not happen any time soon. The devil's bargain is that the EU can say that it is tough, but the carriers will not complain so long as the cost is not run up on them.

If indeed only 2% of passengers with a likely valid file a claim and that were to increase 45-fold so that 90% of such claims are filed, the cost of the Regulation, especially under the judicial monkeying of the CJEU, would be reflected in lowered profits or higher fares. You guess which one.

As originally conceived, the purpose of the Regulation was to create an incentive for carriers to operate relatively on schedule. But, within the CJEU's tortured reasoning on a number of issues, there is little a carrier can do to avoid many delays and claim an "extraordinary circumstance." Thus, EC 261/2004 has become largely a form of a lottery with the winnings going to people who likely need it the least.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Often1
Which will not happen any time soon. The devil's bargain is that the EU can say that it is tough, but the carriers will not complain so long as the cost is not run up on them.

If indeed only 2% of passengers with a likely valid file a claim and that were to increase 45-fold so that 90% of such claims are filed, the cost of the Regulation, especially under the judicial monkeying of the CJEU, would be reflected in lowered profits or higher fares. You guess which one.

As originally conceived, the purpose of the Regulation was to create an incentive for carriers to operate relatively on schedule. But, within the CJEU's tortured reasoning on a number of issues, there is little a carrier can do to avoid many delays and claim an "extraordinary circumstance." Thus, EC 261/2004 has become largely a form of a lottery with the winnings going to people who likely need it the least.
Re lowered profits or higher fares do not forget "the enhancements"!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardwft

It appears the CAA is not an effective enforcer of EU reg ec 261:2004, and this really does need to be addressed.
Regulators need regulations as passed by Parliament to be able to effectively regulate. They can’t just make stuff up as they go along.

EU 261 left the enforcement aspect to national Governments / Parliaments to determine. I believe in some countries that EU261 comes under consumer protection bodies not aviation ones. If regulators across Europe had got their acts together then maybe th courts might not have made some of the decisions they have made.

Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
but the number of flights that are delayed / cancelled etc that qualify for EU261 is a very small % of all flights across all routes across the whole year.

so even if every single passenger on those flights claimed (or was automatically paid) it would still be a very small number in the airlines accounts.

And i guess that if an airline found that specific flights or routes caused more than their share of delays then some tweaks to the schedule might be in order to bring their liability down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.