Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA refusing compensation - advice please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Beyond the dark places on the internet like FlyerTalk, very few members of the public (at least in my experience) claim compensation (even if they have been delayed by ~1 day) and moreover refusing pretty much will deter all but those who know that they are in the right.

I think it's one of the problems with people on this forum being so knowledgeable that they often forget how relatively daunting dealing with airlines and how arcane rules (e.g. on compensation) can be for people not in the know.
DYKWIA, Twickenham, Jane42 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by V10
It is certainly a situation where the CAA, in its role as the National Enforcement Body, could be doing more "enforcing".
The CAA is funded by, let me just check...airlines! Hence no enforcement.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by richardwft

The CAA is funded by, let me just check...airlines! Hence no enforcement.
Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is an example where a nice big class action lawsuit could teach them a lesson.
Alleging what? Under what law?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tilal6991
Beyond the dark places on the internet like FlyerTalk, very few members of the public (at least in my experience) claim compensation (even if they have been delayed by ~1 day) and moreover refusing pretty much will deter all but those who know that they are in the right.

I think it's one of the problems with people on this forum being so knowledgeable that they often forget how relatively daunting dealing with airlines and how arcane rules (e.g. on compensation) can be for people not in the know.
Indeed. My sister and her family were delayed about 6 hours on U2 a couple of years back. The flight heading to AGP (I think) had a technical issue and returned to MAN. They sat at the airport waiting, and only got about EUR5 each for refreshments.

She had no idea she could claim compensation (BA aren't the only airline that doesn't advertise EU261). I wrote an email for her, and she got EUR2000 compensation... "Well Happy" were her words
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Why wouldn't they try it on? It doesn't cost them any more if they lose via CDR, and this way, they might get away with a few customers not bothering to claim for compensation.
Funnily enough many businesses do still behave in a fair and ethical way.....
EuropeanPete, HMPS, PAL62V and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by simons1

Funnily enough many businesses do still behave in a fair and ethical way.....
THIS.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
This should be black and white.

Airlines should be forced to automatically credit ALL customers who qualify for these sorts of claims.

It shouldn't be relied upon the customer knowing the law and bringing a claim.

Airlines would soon sort their controllable .... out.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:00 pm

I don't understand why they don't just make the change 2 weeks out and save themselves a lot of money. They've known about the issue for a year.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I don't understand why they don't just make the change 2 weeks out and save themselves a lot of money. They've known about the issue for a year.
I know, right?

Or like 8 days. It is as if they have a schedule to address flights at day 7, and the resulting cancellations occur on day 6.

OP, while you have already written, the specific allegation- that BA has lost this claim multiple times, that this is public and their denial is an egregious manipulation of the facts- should be made very clear.

I agree this is one of the good sides of class actions- it can bring down a large hammer on a corporation to curtail this kind of abuse. I assume not in the UK?

FWIW- in the USA, if you hire an atty to pres a lemon law claim, the mfg pays the lawyer ON TOP of the lemon claim- hence they have a vested interest in expeditious handling of claims. Not with airlines....
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Actually I think it is more-or-less agreed to be Extraordinary Circumstances, just that CEDR hasn't seen the evidence from BA that they took all reasonable steps. The only legal qualifier I know of to that clause is that the airlines shouldn't face "intolerable sacrifices" (the Peskova case). Now this is an extremely high bar for BA, one of the world's largest airlines, with deep pockets, and huge connectivity via oneworld / Amadeus and so on. My own suspicion is that BA has had internal advice that they could win the case on the "hidden manufacturing defect" argument, so are refusing all claims, but CEDR has reached a different position given the wording of the Regulation and the onus on BA to prove its case. I imagine BA aren't wildly keen for this to get to a senior court either, and given Jet2's experiences I don't blame them.

The CAA did a report which said that processing claims via an ADR channel such as CEDR reduced the airlines' cost of complaint handling, at least in processing time. I'd guestimate it is half the cost of going to MCOL, and I know it costs about £500 for each MCOL case. So at some point it would be cheaper to settle either before CEDR, or early in the process. There is also the risk of CEDR making rulings where BA will face additional compensation claims beyond the typical 600€ compensation for delays. So perhaps it is worth following the example of my own CEDR case in the main thread, and leaving a final paragraph with a hint as to where the CEDR adjudicator can find some more money.
Bolding mine.
BA probably saves a ton of money with the first and second no.
What is bothersome is the post above about BA saving money by going the route it does.

Has anyone done a study as to how many CUSTOMERS walk away or bad mouth BA for putting them through the hoops ?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tilal6991

Isn't it. part of the EC261 regulations that airlines are required to inform customers of their rights under EC261?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it. part of the EC261 regulations that airlines are required to inform customers of their rights under EC261?
Correct but neither do they do a particularly good job of it and even if they do, people just read it and ignore it because they a) don't realise how much money 261 actually gives them (that is a fixed £ amount rather than an arbitrary value decided by airline) and b) don't think it'll be worth their time because they think they'll have to fight the airline every step of the way - this is true to some extent but compared to taking the airline to small claims court or such, it's certainly a lot easier to go to CEDR and get an adjucation.
HMPS likes this.

Last edited by tilal6991; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:50 pm

I'm sure with the end of the PPI gravy train the ambulance chasers will need a new target to sink their teeth into. With about 80% of cases at CEDR going in passengers' favour this looks an ideal opportunity.
rapidex likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by simons1
I'm sure with the end of the PPI gravy train the ambulance chasers will need a new target to sink their teeth into. With about 80% of cases at CEDR going in passengers' favour this looks an ideal opportunity.
There is acompany that for a healthy percentage (name escapes me) will do all your work on this type of claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.