Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Financial Times article on BA wines. FT gets a mention.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by BCH
If you aren't a Financial Times subscriber, you can read the article for free here:
As already stated above.....Google it and you can click through to read it.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by YClass
People flying F probably spend £50-100 on shop wine for themselves (they should do research on this), so the budget should be up there to ensure its a similar experience (or frankly better).
Spot the sweeping generalisation based on no evidence at all.....
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
So now BA's First class can''t even be considered the best business class in the sky !!!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Really? You'd best tell Business Traveller and The Cellars in the Sky Awards, just this Monday they gave British Airways the Gold Medal for Best Business Class Cellar - it can't all be bad! Oh, and Qatar were awarded the Silver Medal in the same category. These were blind tastings, so the judges weren't swayed by fancy labels, it was all down purely to taste and enjoyment - much more important than price, don't you think?
BA doesn't even get a mention this year.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ines-revealed/
The winners of Business Traveller’s Cellars in the Sky Awards 2019 have been announced, with Malaysia Airlines taking the Gold medal for Best Overall Cellar.

The annual awards, which recognise the best business and first class wines served by airlines around the world, were presented on Monday evening at The Langham hotel in London by Charles Metcalfe, co-chairman of the International Wine Challenge.

Qantas was awarded Gold in the Best First Class Cellar category, with Cathay Pacific awarded Silver, and All Nippon Airways (ANA) and Singapore Airlines awarded joint Bronze.

Malaysia Airlines won Gold for Best Business Class Cellar, with Qatar Airways and Air New Zealand jointly taking Silver, and Aer Lingus taking Bronze.

... Continues
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
BA doesn't even get a mention this year.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ines-revealed/

and several airlines did not participate, eg Lufthansa/Swiss, United, SAS, Air France to name a few
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by krispy84

Oh for the days when a first growth claret cost €26 en primeur.
BA may have the advantage of buying in bulk, but the ever increasing price of wine en primeur has to be hitting them and forcing them down the perceived quality chain. There are fewer and fewer wines to be found that have a decent price/quality ratio (especially in France which is what I have most experience of), but good wine merchants can still eke these growers and their wines out. Using a personal analagy, I have found over the last 20 years that my disposable income has in no way kept pace with the rising prices in France, particularly in Burgundy and Bordeaux. The wines from those regions that I can afford to buy now are a far cry from the wines that I used to buy. I use The Wine Society which I am sure will be familiar to many people here, and if you look back at the historic "Opening Offers" materials which they helpfully store online you end up just wistfully shaking your head at what has happened.. Supply and demand (and greed, particularly in Bourgogne) has forced me a long way down that scale. I find it hard to buy basic Bourgogne Rouge, let alone a village classification like Vosne Romanee, and as for the majority of the Premier Cru, well I can more of less forget it. It is a similar story in Bordeaux - I don't look at Lynch Bages and Leoville Barton much any more, I can't even get to the "seconds" like Pavillon!! That is not to say that you cannot today buy fantastic wine at a reasonable price, the Rhone for example remains pretty reasonable if you avoid the top of CdR and almost all of Hermitage, but for a passenger in F it is the "known" wines that they are expecting to see and I imagine that BA, and especially penny-pinching BA, have been hit in exactly the same way. I count myself lucky that I still regularly get to drink wine at home that I can no longer afford to buy, but I had a good strategy back in the day that I am reaping the rewards of now. Clearly those days are numbered, but for BA they ended quite some time ago and unless they are prepared to either spend more money or get a proper wine supplier (and then wait for while), then we can all get used to looking at the carte on flights and almost always being disappointed.
aristoph likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by snuffi
BA may have the advantage of buying in bulk, but the ever increasing price of wine en primeur has to be hitting them and forcing them down the perceived quality chain. There are fewer and fewer wines to be found that have a decent price/quality ratio (especially in France which is what I have most experience of), but good wine merchants can still eke these growers and their wines out. Using a personal analagy, I have found over the last 20 years that my disposable income has in no way kept pace with the rising prices in France, particularly in Burgundy and Bordeaux. The wines from those regions that I can afford to buy now are a far cry from the wines that I used to buy. I use The Wine Society which I am sure will be familiar to many people here, and if you look back at the historic "Opening Offers" materials which they helpfully store online you end up just wistfully shaking your head at what has happened.. Supply and demand (and greed, particularly in Bourgogne) has forced me a long way down that scale. I find it hard to buy basic Bourgogne Rouge, let alone a village classification like Vosne Romanee, and as for the majority of the Premier Cru, well I can more of less forget it. It is a similar story in Bordeaux - I don't look at Lynch Bages and Leoville Barton much any more, I can't even get to the "seconds" like Pavillon!! That is not to say that you cannot today buy fantastic wine at a reasonable price, the Rhone for example remains pretty reasonable if you avoid the top of CdR and almost all of Hermitage, but for a passenger in F it is the "known" wines that they are expecting to see and I imagine that BA, and especially penny-pinching BA, have been hit in exactly the same way. I count myself lucky that I still regularly get to drink wine at home that I can no longer afford to buy, but I had a good strategy back in the day that I am reaping the rewards of now. Clearly those days are numbered, but for BA they ended quite some time ago and unless they are prepared to either spend more money or get a proper wine supplier (and then wait for while), then we can all get used to looking at the carte on flights and almost always being disappointed.
Simple sollution, BA should buy quality wine from other parts of the world than France.
Sure there will be some passengers who will want wine from some famous french region,
for them just buy the cheapest possible plonk it says Bordeaux on.
Kgmm77 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by snuffi
Clearly those days are numbered, but for BA they ended quite some time ago and unless they are prepared to either spend more money or get a proper wine supplier (and then wait for while), then we can all get used to looking at the carte on flights and almost always being disappointed.
....or realise that the world of quality wine producers is slightly larger than it was in the 17th century.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:19 am

Talking

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Has it really though? Other airlines still manage to get some great wines in their premium cabins.
Agree

Recently had the pleasure of flying QF F SYD-LHR. Excellent wine list, all Australian (except Champagne) with some v interesting bottles, all retailing £20-£70 a bottle. All loaded in Sydney but no stock-outs after the first leg! Champagne was Heidsick Millesime Rare 2002, which is not well known and not a great label (they rotate this with more notable premium champagnes like Pol Roger Winston Churchill and Veuve Clicquot Grand Dame so there's an element of pot luck) but which was delicious, gets very well written up by critics, and retails £160-180 a bottle.

The economics of the Qantas F operation would seem like a fair comparison to BA... same number of seats, same practice of having F only on a subset of their LH route network, legacy carrier operating in a competitive global market rather than like one of the ME3...

Maybe BA is now subsidising this route for QF, though, as since the opening of the new Qantas SIN F lounge no F or OWE passenger on the BA11 or BA15 in their right mind would go to the BA lounge any more
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
and several airlines did not participate, eg Lufthansa/Swiss, United, SAS, Air France to name a few
BA did participate - but failed to even get on the podium. And one category had 4 airlines sharing Bronze :-)
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Raffles
BA did participate - but failed to even get on the podium. And one category had 4 airlines sharing Bronze :-)
Suggests something fishy's going on....and I'm not talking about the flavour of the wine.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Lots of words in this thread.

Conclsuin - BA F Villa Maria is £7 in Tesco, £7.5 in Majestic and 6.5 Euros in Calais.

So Jancis was correct.

No Puligny Montrachet and no Lynch Bages in BA F anymore.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:00 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
JL still do Salon
SALON is BACK from Mar 1 2019!!!
It's very nice, but logistics (number of bottles loaded) prevent you drinking the price of your ticket.
However it did make me feel like I was travelling first class and I probably chose those flights in part to try that wine when it would have been much cheaper to just buy a bottle and fly J.
The BA F offering isn't really in the same place, so I can see why bean the counters (who look after my pension) decide top quality wines are not a value proposition for BA.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Suggests something fishy's going on....and I'm not talking about the flavour of the wine.
Ah, so in 2018 it shows BA in a positive light, so that's all well and good.

In 2019, BA are nowhere to be seen, so something fishy must be going on.

That makes sense
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I just had some back and forth to Asia in the past 3 months, on BA F and QR J. BA F red and white wines are significantly below what QR serves in J. Actually they are mediocre and would rate as J wines on other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.