Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First little impressions of CCR at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

First little impressions of CCR at LHR T5

First check in really rather pleasant - first time I’ve used it (but as I understand that’s included in Gold status). Friendly staff.

CCR room itself feels like a fairly busy lobby in a nice hotel. I asked about gluten free dining options and was told they’d find out, and come and find me. A very pleasant manager did so, and gave me very detailed info that he’d clearly memorised.

Enjoying the BA cocktail.

The ‘outside’ terrace seating not so great on a grey day, so decided on inside. It seemed quieter too.

Sadly now two rather large men both are now loudly discussing business deals on their phones, apparently oblivious.

My snap verdict, it’s nice, but nothing to go out of one’s way for for 5000TP.

TPRun and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Oh, on the negative side, I see the complaint about the toilets. Rather than a haven of self pampering, it’s a somewhat clean hospital toilet.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think some peoples CCR expectations are set far too high so I'm not surprised they end up being disappointed.

Loved my last visit and look forward to my next should I get the chance.The warm treacle tart and vanilla ice cream dessert was especially memorable.

Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:45 am

Mmmm - victim blaming already?

I've had some lovely visits to the CCR and some less than stellar. Neither experience invalidates the other, nor does it make me (IMHO) someone with overly high expectations.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
First check in really rather pleasant - first time I’ve used it (but as I understand that’s included in Gold status). Friendly staff.

CCR room itself feels like a fairly busy lobby in a nice hotel. I asked about gluten free dining options and was told they’d find out, and come and find me. A very pleasant manager did so, and gave me very detailed info that he’d clearly memorised.

Enjoying the BA cocktail.

The ‘outside’ terrace seating not so great on a grey day, so decided on inside. It seemed quieter too.

Sadly now two rather large men both are now loudly discussing business deals on their phones, apparently oblivious.

My snap verdict, it’s nice, but nothing to go out of one’s way for for 5000TP.

was one of them short and American? If so I heard him too.....
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think some peoples CCR expectations are set far too high so I'm not surprised they end up being disappointed.

Other than the toilets, the CCR is a perfectly respectable lounge.

But as you say, many people might feel somewhat underwhelmed by what is meant to be BA’s ‘flagship’ facility - especially those who might be judging it in comparison to some other lounges around the world.

Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:26 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by marcosscriven
First check in really rather pleasant - first time I’ve used it (but as I understand that’s included in Gold status).
Although First checkin is an Emerald benefit, CCR is not included with gold. You need a CCR card (which is a lot more TP than just gold] or to be travelling in BA first from T5.
I've only been to the CCR room twice (unlike some of the regulars here) but I wasn't overwhelmed. It's just a lounge not a 3* restaurant.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
We were completely delighted with our first stay in the CCR for a lengthy connection.

Perhaps because we are older, we really liked, and felt very comfortable in, the plush "club" style easy chairs/ottomans, and sofas. We don't much care for the modern, angular furniture, with hard wooden arms and sometimes frames all around that we've found in too many other areas. Not comfy at all.

We experienced the CCR on a return flight, when the outbound allowed us to connect via FRA on Lufthansa, so we experienced the First Class Lounge there, Alas, we did not go to the First Class Terminal, and next time, we'll definitely try to get there to compare. The seating in the F Lounge was nothing special, and not very comfortable. (But I won't continue that critique here; not relevant.)

We very much enjoyed the dining, although there, the seating/furnishings were definitely more modern. We'd prefer regular chairs where we can adjust how close (or not) to the table we are. But the food was excellent.
We don't drink that much, but there was always someone to check if we needed "another".

We were very unimpressed with that "outdoor balcony", which of course isn't outdoor at all. It was very odd, overlooking the lower part of the regular terminal (or so it seemed?). It just seemed silly. Worse, the double "day bed" was The.Most.Uncomfortable.Seating.Ever. I have no idea how it was constructed, but it was just awful.
We went back "inside", and got comfy again in a couple of easy chairs/ottomans.

We'll be there again in about 2 months, and need to find out what type of "nap" facilities they have. I understand it's nothing like the "sleeping rooms" of Lufthansa's F Lounge (where DH did get some much needed serious sleep), but that there are some sort of recliners... or??
Anyone have any information about those, or where they are located?

For now, aside from CX lounges in HKG, we prefer the CCR for layovers vs. other premium lounges we've tried, as long as we aren't looking for real beds for real sleep.
But... we are just getting started, so we have many yet to try.

GC
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We were completely delighted with our first stay in the CCR for a lengthy connection.

We'll be there again in about 2 months, and need to find out what type of "nap" facilities they have. I understand it's nothing like the "sleeping rooms" of Lufthansa's F Lounge (where DH did get some much needed serious sleep), but that there are some sort of recliners... or??
Anyone have any information about those, or where they are located?

For now, aside from CX lounges in HKG, we prefer the CCR for layovers vs. other premium lounges we've tried, as long as we aren't looking for real beds for real sleep.
But... we are just getting started, so we have many yet to try.

GC
Hi,
They are called Cabanas and I think you can ask You First to book them ( I have not used them so cannot comment on them but they have a bed and its own bathroom ) .others may be able to provide links to photos .
There are only 3 of them though.

Regards

TBS
Blenheim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.