Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Basic Tickets - 2 free checked bags when traveling with a 2-11 year old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I saw this on the BA site - If you are travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare, checking in baggage costs extra. However, if you’re travelling with an infant or a child up to 11 years old, you can check two items, such as a fully collapsible pushchair (stroller), a car seat or a travel cot for free for each infant or child.

So this seems like a great benefit. I have a child just under 12 with me. Although it says "such as" stroller or car seat, I can still check regular bags. Is that right?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No, just a stroller or car seat.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No where does it say you get free baggage.

Hand baggage only (Basic) tickets

If you are travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare, checking in baggage costs extra. However, if you’re travelling with an infant or a child up to 11 years old, you can check two items, such as a fully collapsible pushchair (stroller), a car seat or a travel cot for free for each infant or child.

You can pay and check in bags at any time before you fly, but you’ll get the best rate if you pay online in advance.

Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am not sure where you see that language - your child's allowance will be the same as yours (none). What can be taken in addition (the 2 items) is also listed and does not include bags.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:36 am

The first link you provide doesn't say "such as," it pretty clearly states that you can check two of the following: Stroller, carseat, carrycot, baby back carrier. The website isn't especially clear, but that could be interpreted as only for children traveling on infant fares (which isn't especially fair, since children older than 2 use/need strollers and carseats, but that's neither here nor there).

However, infants are entitled to one cabin bag (small rolling suitcase), and everyone older than an infant gets a cabin bag and a bag that will fit under the seat in front of you, so that may help your situation.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not sure where you see that language - your child's allowance will be the same as yours (none). What can be taken in addition (the 2 items) is also listed and does not include bags.
Here: "If you are travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare, checking in baggage costs extra. However, if you’re travelling with an infant or a child up to 11 years old, you can check two items"..."for free for each infant or child."

If you go to this link https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ge-allowances#, then select Hand Baggage only (Basic) tickets, the language is there.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says that there is a charge for baggage by you can check in free a stroller or pushchair, “such as a fully collapsible pushchair (stroller), a car seat or a travel cot for free for each infant or child” but you are choosing to leave that out.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It says that there is a charge for baggage by you can check in free a stroller or pushchair, “such as a fully collapsible pushchair (stroller), a car seat or a travel cot for free for each infant or child” but you are choosing to leave that out.

You are correct. My understanding is that BA uses such as in a way that it is an example but not fully inclusive. They also use "If you're looking to make a smooth start to your journey, you need to make sure you have the right documents, such as a valid passport and the relevant visas.". https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...-visas-and-api So I would take this to mean that passports and visas are some of the things that may be included, but is not conclusive.

Basically my question comes down to what is included in the free item list. Is the "such as" just an example, or fully conclusive. And if you can check bags as the child "item", then is this a loophole? I definitely don't think BA wants folks to take advantage (hence the non inclusive language) but I wonder if people can, given the wording. And finally there is any interpretation by gate agents. So I was more wondering what people know from experience.

Last edited by bmchris; Feb 18, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have the choice of checking two of the three things listed for each infant or child, anything else is chargeable.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bmchris
Here: "If you are travelling on a hand baggage only (Basic) fare, checking in baggage costs extra. However, if you’re travelling with an infant or a child up to 11 years old, you can check two items"..."for free for each infant or child."

If you go to this link https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ge-allowances#, then select Hand Baggage only (Basic) tickets, the language is there.
BA lists 4 specific items, two of which one can check-in for free. Follow the link that explains what can be checked in for free when one is travelling with a child. Bags are unfortunately not there.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:40 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As others have said, I think it’s pretty obvious what the intent is here if you look at the baggage allowance (or lack of, more accurately!) on a Basic fare against the need to carry essentials for young children such as pushchairs etc. BA is actually being relativity generous here with provision for two pieces of ‘extraordinary’ luggage.

If you try to argue anything else, expect to be asked for a reasonable wedge of money ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.