Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TP run to LGW..Honestly..you couldn't make this up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold

Worked out I was going to be short in Retaining Silver this year so decided to do a little TP run (6.10am EDI-LGW Rtn)

Perfectly good BA flight...CE was only half full. Crew were great. We landed slightly late due to fog, and when we pulled onto a remote stand (why no airbridge??) a set of stairs was pushed upto the aircraft. This is were the fun began..lol. The Door opened but we were told we couldn't get off due to the fact that the stairs we covered in ice and the Captain was concerned that someone would slip..so he called ops? and asked if someone could come and de-ice the stairs. I then over heard someone behind me talking to another chap, saying that in the last month this has happened several times...BA have apparently compained to LGW about this, but seems the complaints are falling on deaf ears. Lots of people stressing..missed flights etc. We sat on the plane for nearly 45 mins...waiting...eventually someone came and salted the stairs. You wonder how much money, and time could be saved by putting a couple of 5kg bags of salt by or on the stairs. Just as they had finished..the buses, which had been sitting for probably 50 mins...drove off. So the stairs are now usable..but no means to get to the terminal..lol..really?? The crew then had to contact ops again to ask them to send the buses back. This is nothing to do with BA, but makes the Ground ops folk at LGW look totally unprepared. Its the winter..it gets cold..Duh! Luckily won't be going back to LGW anytme soon. Is this sort of stuff common...never experienced this before. Felt sorry for the Captain..did a great job..but you could hear he was annoyed.
florens likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Sounds like a joke - but I’m sure no one was laughing. I bet it doesn’t happen in Switzerland.
jonkx likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jock
Worked out I was going to be short in Retaining Silver this year so decided to do a little TP run (6.10am EDI-LGW Rtn)

Perfectly good BA flight...CE was only half full. Crew were great. We landed slightly late due to fog, and when we pulled onto a remote stand (why no airbridge??) a set of stairs was pushed upto the aircraft. This is were the fun began..lol. The Door opened but we were told we couldn't get off due to the fact that the stairs we covered in ice and the Captain was concerned that someone would slip..so he called ops? and asked if someone could come and de-ice the stairs. I then over heard someone behind me talking to another chap, saying that in the last month this has happened several times...BA have apparently compained to LGW about this, but seems the complaints are falling on deaf ears. Lots of people stressing..missed flights etc. We sat on the plane for nearly 45 mins...waiting...eventually someone came and salted the stairs. You wonder how much money, and time could be saved by putting a couple of 5kg bags of salt by or on the stairs. Just as they had finished..the buses, which had been sitting for probably 50 mins...drove off. So the stairs are now usable..but no means to get to the terminal..lol..really?? The crew then had to contact ops again to ask them to send the buses back. This is nothing to do with BA, but makes the Ground ops folk at LGW look totally unprepared. Its the winter..it gets cold..Duh! Luckily won't be going back to LGW anytme soon. Is this sort of stuff common...never experienced this before. Felt sorry for the Captain..did a great job..but you could hear he was annoyed.

LGW - Horrendous airport.

At least you got your points though!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Currently domestic arrivals cannot use airbridges since the corridors are not segregated from international arrivals. That is due to change around July this year when a new corridor system - currently under construction - will be unveiled and most (all?) domestic arrivals can be airbridged.

I'm fairly frequently on EDI-LGW and I've not had an issue with ice on the steps so far, so no, it's not common.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Currently domestic arrivals cannot use airbridges since the corridors are not segregated from international arrivals. That is due to change around July this year when a new corridor system - currently under construction - will be unveiled and most (all?) domestic arrivals can be airbridged.
A domestic arrival can use an airbridge when it is on a stand that has stair accces to the apron because passengers can then disembark via the airbridge, walk down the steps to the apron and then be bussed to domestic arrivals. This includes all stands on Pier 1, I think all of them on Pier 2 and I’ve no idea about Pier 3. So a domestic arrival does not mean that you must use external steps.
Pascoe likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
The most British story ever. Wow.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:31 pm

Salt being used at an airport maybe a problem as it would increase corrosion. Do they use it or some more sophisticated de-icer?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Sounds like a joke - but I’m sure no one was laughing. I bet it doesn’t happen in Switzerland.
You‘d be surprised. Usually first snow causes mayhem (talking about Mittelland here, not the higher areas in the mountains), trains get delayed etc. It is not how it used to be. A joke really.
SWISSBOBBY and Geordie405 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:20 am

Unfortunately this is a British thing - a few days of sub zero temperatures are guaranteed to catch the airports and airlines with their pants down. Last year we had the de-icing fiasco at Heathrow, this year it will be somewhere else.

The difficulty here is once the initial error is made there is no obvious win. If you hold passengers back you risk delay and missed connections. If you let passengers go and someone is injured then they also complain.

There are risks in every scenario.

Fell down plane stairs at Edinburgh
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Airprox
A domestic arrival can use an airbridge when it is on a stand that has stair accces to the apron because passengers can then disembark via the airbridge, walk down the steps to the apron and then be bussed to domestic arrivals. This includes all stands on Pier 1, I think all of them on Pier 2 and I’ve no idea about Pier 3. So a domestic arrival does not mean that you must use external steps.
You are right, and I'd say it's about two thirds airbridge + bus, one third bus direct. From a passenger perspective it's scarcely an improvement, though it would minimise bad weather impact. It just makes the whole process even slower.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
This is pretty pathetic and I would be fuming, although in fairness I have to say I have been very impressed with LGW South the last two or three times I have passed through there (probably jinxed it now).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
There are risks in every scenario.
And there will always be someone worse off than you; it's a good thing that (poor though the initial situation was) safety was still being taken seriously.

Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This truly sounds like a horrendous experience but I must say that I generally quite like LGW. Arrivals is often less "cluttered" than LHR, depending on arrival time of course. E-Passports has a generous number of E-gates, most of which are usually functional. Baggage seems to arrive quicker than LHR and fast-track security is a breeze. The connections channel has also been completely empty the couple of times I have used it. Having said that, I'll probably regret saying it next time I'm there but LGW for me has usually been a pleasant experience.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by florens

You‘d be surprised. Usually first snow causes mayhem (talking about Mittelland here, not the higher areas in the mountains), trains get delayed etc. It is not how it used to be. A joke really.
And if you think the Mittelland is bad try the "Arc Lemanique" (Lake Geneva area) Lausanne with its hills is hell if we get snow in the afternoon.
florens and Geordie405 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I too am surprised, and slightly concerned, that they use salt anywhere near an aircraft!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.